Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 02:01 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
The incentive to do all of those things already exists in the game, that's a strawman argument. You do ops for the gear progression and the pleasure derived from the content. Same with PVP. Your own perception determines how much this is worth.

The cartel shop is independent of that. Those are tailored as impulse buys and are there to generate revenue. If you want items they have several mechanics to get those items. And the cartel coins monthly are EXACTLY what you are proposing simply by having and active account.

I make the joke all the time that I pay $15 per month for this forum and they even throw in a AAA MMO experience for free. Here you are paying $15 a month for a credit at the cartel shop AND they throw in a AAA MMO experience for free. Best deal around

What you are suggesting is a play over time to get whatever you want model and they already gave you one.

I guess it's pointless to debate this though. If you can't see the inherit logical flaw in your original argument and your strawman justification then you'll never be able to reason why this isn't going to be adopted.
a) Go read the two posts prior to this ^, especially the second one

b) You're looking at this from a subbers perspective, we do have plenty of incentive to PVP/PVE, we have unlimited access to it and its fun - BUT the only incentive F2P players have to spend money on a pass is so that they can do it more often in a week then 3 times, or in the case of OP's, just access to an area in general.

c) You're also saying that people would opt for GCoins over CCoins, when i've already stated to you numerous times that the idea behind GCoins is that they would take a VERY VERY LONG TIME TO ACCUMULATE. The length of time is what prays on peoples patience, and those with money can/would/will EASILY SUCCUMB to just buying cartel coins to go what they want. But they wouldn't HAVE TO. It's not so much 'cutting in to revenue' as providing an option for casual players who don't feel the need to spend money on fictional content unless they can get enjoyment out of it somehow. (So basically people who see the logic in buying a warzone pass, but would never buy gear off the cartel shop). If you think people like that don't exist, then you don't read the forums much.

Snorlaxo's Avatar


Snorlaxo
10.24.2012 , 02:17 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Nanglez View Post
By the way

Wouldn't given subbers a coin allowance per month cut in to revenue's as well?
?
If subscribers weren't given cartel coins, the loss i revenue of instant unsubsribes would be worst off. It's spitting in the face of those who decided to stick with it.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 02:20 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Snorlaxo View Post
If subscribers weren't given cartel coins, the loss i revenue of instant unsubsribes would be worst off. It's spitting in the face of those who decided to stick with it.
Read the line above it, I'm not suggesting they do that. I'm saying that - if we recieve coins, by tim's defintion, thats revenue breaking aswell. According to him Bioware will never give us something that they can sell to us instead. But here they are giving us coins that they can indeed sell to us aswell.
The point you quoted was more of a rhetorical question though, sorry for not making that clearer.

Tim-ONeil's Avatar


Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 02:40 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Snorlaxo View Post
If subscribers weren't given cartel coins, the loss i revenue of instant unsubsribes would be worst off. It's spitting in the face of those who decided to stick with it.
It's not just that, it's another incentive to get you to play, subscribe, and ultimately purchase additional coins. It's brilliant actually.

My wife is a fine example of how we can value 'savings' and justify a purchase to ourselves. Last week she bought a blender for $90. Now to me there is no reason to spend that much on a blender ever. She justified it in her own head because the price tag said originally $160 on sale for $90 so she immediately sees that as being a 'smart' shopper and saving $60 on an item she wants anyway.

Cartel coins are the same. Lets say you have (made up numbers) 1000 when F2P launches and the item you really want is 1800. You can wait the months it will take to acquire those points or if you really want the item you'll justify that you already have credit towards it so why not just buy the rest for a discount.

They know our human nature all too well. This model is pure gold.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

SWGEvictee's Avatar


SWGEvictee
10.24.2012 , 07:37 AM | #25
I think OP that even though I did read your entire post I needn't have bothered. You basically want to be able to play the game for free and never have to pay EA anything. As EA is looking to make a profit from the game they have no reason to put in a system such as you suggested.

Quraswren's Avatar


Quraswren
10.24.2012 , 07:41 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SWGEvictee View Post
I think OP that even though I did read your entire post I needn't have bothered. You basically want to be able to play the game for free and never have to pay EA anything. As EA is looking to make a profit from the game they have no reason to put in a system such as you suggested.
Thats pretty much the sum of the OP.

He's not worried about a time sink to eventually acquire the gear he wants. He just doesn't want to pay anything at all.

I'd have to vote this down.

Sweetiepies's Avatar


Sweetiepies
10.24.2012 , 07:54 AM | #27
I have a rule, if the OP has all caps, large, red font in it, I immediately discount the terrible ideas in it and it appears that this is another instance where this is a valid response. All you seem to want is to get the cash shop items without paying for them. Cool?

itsmymillertime's Avatar


itsmymillertime
10.24.2012 , 08:00 AM | #28
To the OP:

I read the first 2 pages of this thread.

You are suggesting an in-game way of obtaining stuff in the cartel market. Plain and simple. You can farm warzones to get the 3rd currency. The amount of 3rd currency to obtain something in the Cartel Market means nothing. The time involved means nothing.

Bioware already stated they are not looking at a way to for players to obtain Cartel Market by in-game means. All of the other posters have called you out on it and your blind to see that.

/thread

Rafaman's Avatar


Rafaman
10.24.2012 , 08:35 AM | #29
Ok, OP. In short, this third currency is, essentially, a rewards program. An additional incentive to play. Presumably over time players could buy an additional item as a result of this third currency. It's like frequent flier miles, or points program. But here is the problem OP, the currency itself would be so under valued it would almost be irrelevant; an after thought at best. It would take so long to accrue enough of this third currency to get something worthwhile it would hardly be and incentive. You see, the incentive for subs already exists in the form of the monthly Cartel coins. An additional watered down currency would be redundant and insignificant.

Now, having said that, let me point out that chastising others who reply irrespective of their thoughts on the matter is in itself short sighted. If you are really interested in a conversation you take the responses for what they are sift through the chaff and get to the nuggets that spurr on an informative discussion or debate. Based on your responses, what you were really looking for was blind agreement which is btw no better than those who you claim don't read the OP.

Sweetiepies's Avatar


Sweetiepies
10.24.2012 , 08:37 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
To the OP:

I read the first 2 pages of this thread.

You are suggesting an in-game way of obtaining stuff in the cartel market. Plain and simple. You can farm warzones to get the 3rd currency. The amount of 3rd currency to obtain something in the Cartel Market means nothing. The time involved means nothing.

Bioware already stated they are not looking at a way to for players to obtain Cartel Market by in-game means. All of the other posters have called you out on it and your blind to see that.

/thread
Seriously, we are lucky that the items in the bag aren't bound and can be sold on the GTN.