Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
10.24.2012 , 01:20 AM | #11
So, when people post threads like this, do they really believe that they came up with some ingenious plan that the people that get paid to do these things had not thought of or considered?

The idea totally bucks against what they are trying to do.

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 01:20 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
5000 credits for 1 CC?

I don't think that BW would go for that. Let me explain why:

Rocket Boost is 2 Million credits. It is 320 CC on the PTS (prices may change).

Therefore 2,000,000/320 = the credit:CC ratio.
This ratio is 6250.

Therefore They would charge at the very minimum 6250. I suspect that they'd charge more than that but 5k is far too low.
And I don't know where you got 5000 credits for 1 Cartel coin, but thats not what I was saying whatsoever. Again - another person responding without reading the OP - Which is what makes posting on these forums absolutely pointless. Just a bunch of keyboard intellectuals trying to prove themselves without realising the place they're trying to do that is a Star Wars game forum.


My apologies for offending you all by sharing an idea - (that other online gaming companies with cash shops currently use). TERRIBLE OF ME.

Security key app makes it too much effort to log on to forums anyway, sooooo as i said in another thread i posted, BYE BYE FORUMS.

FourTwent's Avatar


FourTwent
10.24.2012 , 01:26 AM | #13
I agree with the OP. There needs to be a way.

My suggestion would be like 10 or 15 or even 20/25 daily comms can be exchanged for each cartel coin. I prefer the 10 to 1 ratio but i could see some people thinking it's not enough

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 01:30 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
I agree with the OP. There needs to be a way.

My suggestion would be like 10 or 15 or even 20/25 daily comms can be exchanged for each cartel coin. I prefer the 10 to 1 ratio but i could see some people thinking it's not enough
Hahaha, you've already made the first mistake that everyone makes on the SW:ToR forums.

It doesn't matter what I've said, you never, NEVER, agree with the OP.

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 01:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
5000 credits for 1 CC?

$15/month = 500 cc.
Doing the Belsavis, Illum and BH dailies gives you 400k.
So 400x30= 12 Million.
12 million / 500 = 24k.

So somewhere around 24k/CC is more likely than somewhere around 5k/CC.
Clearly you don't understand. I named the hypothetical third currency Galactic Currency. What I was actually saying (which your maths has nothing to do with) is that if the price of an armor set were 1200 cartel coins, the galactic currency's price would be significantly higher then that. And due to the fact that the currency would take a significantly long time to earn, you'd have no advantage in using Galactic Currency over Cartel Coins. As Stated in OP (Which I already know you didn't read properly) Galactic Currency would serve a long term purpose. If you were someone who intended on NEVER EVER spending money on the cash shop - that wouldn't matter in its entirety, because 6 months down the track you might have enough GC for say... 1 armor set?

If you cant grasp that cartel coins don't work like this in any way whatsoever, then I'm done trying to explain it. It means that:

let's pretend i want the Chiss military armor set for 1200 CC coins OR 5000 Galactic Coins

I COULD:

BUY 1200 CC COINS INSTANTLY --> INSTANTLY PURCHASE CHISS ARMOR

OR

SPEND MONTHS PVPING/FPS/OPS/ETC for a microscopic monetary rewards (1-2-3 coins per weekly mission completion/ops completion/world bosses etc etc) called "Galactic Currency" WHICH AFTER MONTHS OF SAVING, I COULD THEN SPEND ON THAT SAME CHISS MILITARY SET.

Is it that *********** hard to understand?

Tim-ONeil's Avatar


Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 01:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
So, when people post threads like this, do they really believe that they came up with some ingenious plan that the people that get paid to do these things had not thought of or considered?

The idea totally bucks against what they are trying to do.
Never mind logic here. Clearly the OP isn't interested in that and he's aggressively defending that we should ignore the whole premise of his post. I bet the SWG Trading Card metrics (which of course Lucas Arts has to go on) more than confirm that Star Wars fans will aggressively buy anything and it will be profitable.

Besides... it is completely possible that you can have any of these rare and awesome items as soon as FTP launches by just buying them off the GTN from other players. Oh and you also get credits monthly in the store. Sounds like a reasonable model to me.

Talking about credit exchange rates is stupid because the idea is to GENERATE REAL MONEY for Bioware. Someone bought that item that you can now get on the GTN. That's Bioware making money and you getting what you want.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 01:43 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
Never mind logic here. Clearly the OP isn't interested in that and he's aggressively defending that we should ignore the whole premise of his post. I bet the SWG Trading Card metrics (which of course Lucas Arts has to go on) more than confirm that Star Wars fans will aggressively buy anything and it will be profitable.

Besides... it is completely possible that you can have any of these rare and awesome items as soon as FTP launches by just buying them off the GTN from other players. Oh and you also get credits monthly in the store. Sounds like a reasonable model to me.

Talking about credit exchange rates is stupid because the idea is to GENERATE REAL MONEY for Bioware. Someone bought that item that you can now get on the GTN. That's Bioware making money and you getting what you want.
It would generate real money for Bioware.

Completetion of things like ops/warzones/space missions would give this hypothetical currency.

Bioware is selling passes to these above things ^ (except worldbosses i guess?), so it would give insentive for F2P players to buy weekly passes, whilst not having to OVER indulge at once and buy armor aswell.

As for aggressively defending, I think i'm allowed to do so? I don't see a way for you to stop me defending my point - okay great i'll defend it as much as I like ^^.

Tim-ONeil's Avatar


Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 01:44 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Nanglez View Post
Clearly you don't understand. I named the hypothetical third currency Galactic Currency. What I was actually saying (which your maths has nothing to do with) is that if the price of an armor set were 1200 cartel coins, the galactic currency's price would be significantly higher then that. And due to the fact that the currency would take a significantly long time to earn, you'd have no advantage in using Galactic Currency over Cartel Coins. As Stated in OP (Which I already know you didn't read properly) Galactic Currency would serve a long term purpose. If you were someone who intended on NEVER EVER spending money on the cash shop - that wouldn't matter in its entirety, because 6 months down the track you might have enough GC for say... 1 armor set?

If you cant grasp that cartel coins don't work like this in any way whatsoever, then I'm done trying to explain it. It means that:

let's pretend i want the Chiss military armor set for 1200 CC coins OR 5000 Galactic Coins

I COULD:

BUY 1200 CC COINS INSTANTLY --> INSTANTLY PURCHASE CHISS ARMOR

OR

SPEND MONTHS PVPING/FPS/OPS/ETC for a microscopic monetary rewards (1-2-3 coins per weekly mission completion/ops completion/world bosses etc etc) called "Galactic Currency" WHICH AFTER MONTHS OF SAVING, I COULD THEN SPEND ON THAT SAME CHISS MILITARY SET.

Is it that *********** hard to understand?
It's not that we don't understand, you don't understand why they are doing this. If you want the item use your saved points, or use your wallet. Of course they hope that by giving you a few points you'll be willing to buy the ones you need and take advantage of the human desire for instant gratification.

Additionally you can already do this by buying these items from another player or use your monthly stipend. Bottom line is that your proposed method cuts into revenue and is completely against the grain of their intentions. I understand that everyone wants a way to get something 'essentially for nothing' and this thread clearly is a veiled attempt at that.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

Tim-ONeil's Avatar


Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 01:54 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Nanglez View Post
It would generate real money for Bioware.

Completetion of things like ops/warzones/space missions would give this hypothetical currency.

Bioware is selling passes to these above things ^ (except worldbosses i guess?), so it would give insentive for F2P players to buy weekly passes, whilst not having to OVER indulge at once and buy armor aswell.

As for aggressively defending, I think i'm allowed to do so? I don't see a way for you to stop me defending my point - okay great i'll defend it as much as I like ^^.
The incentive to do all of those things already exists in the game, that's a strawman argument. You do ops for the gear progression and the pleasure derived from the content. Same with PVP. Your own perception determines how much this is worth.

The cartel shop is independent of that. Those are tailored as impulse buys and are there to generate revenue. If you want items they have several mechanics to get those items. And the cartel coins monthly are EXACTLY what you are proposing simply by having and active account.

I make the joke all the time that I pay $15 per month for this forum and they even throw in a AAA MMO experience for free. Here you are paying $15 a month for a credit at the cartel shop AND they throw in a AAA MMO experience for free. Best deal around

What you are suggesting is a play over time to get whatever you want model and they already gave you one.

I guess it's pointless to debate this though. If you can't see the inherit logical flaw in your original argument and your strawman justification then you'll never be able to reason why this isn't going to be adopted.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

Snorlaxo's Avatar


Snorlaxo
10.24.2012 , 01:57 AM | #20
Not a bad model if it was implemented, it mainly is for f2p players to get more goals to aim towards but is an incentive to not pay at all. I see that you have replied that it may push some players to pay for weekly passes for it, i think it will still convince a greater amount of people to avoid paying but still play for longer.

The idea of replacing the current subber's monthly CC for this model seems like a punishment. I think dealing with trolls and the negative/bitter leavers is hard enough, I like my monthly bonus. This sort of model would push me from subsriber to f2p with weekly passes.
I don't mind your idea but I think it would earn less money in the end.


Edit: OP. You're escalating too quickly. The other poster has some good points.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)