Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 12:22 AM | #1
I'd say read the whole thing or don't bother posting, but most of you won't bother and your still going to post - so have at it.

Now before you post some 'up in arms' rage comment about how that would defeat the purpose of the cash shop - hear me out.

I'm going to use Heroes Of Newerth cash shop for this example, but if you'd like a different cash shop example of other games i've played, i'd be happy to use that instead.

OKAY, SO, The price of an armor SET in the Cartel Shop, appears to be around 1000-1500 cartel coins (see here for more info/screenies showing pricing).

In Heroes of Newerth a 'hero alternate avatar' ist he most preferred items to buy on the cash shop (much alike what armor/clothing will be in this game). Now you can buy 300 'gold coins to pay the pricetag of '300 gold' for the avatar. Or you can pay the price tag of say... (varies) but around 1000 silver for the same avatar.

Lets make the difference clear here, you can pay... lets say... a few dollars, for some gold coins, that buy the desired avatar you want, OR you can use silver coins to buy the exact same thing. The difference with using silver coins is how the currency is acquired. Instead of it being a quick one time fee and its yours, you can still work for the avatar and get it for free. The way this is done is every HoN match you're awarded a certain about of silver coins, which you can increase the 'revenue' your recieving by social activities such as - playing grouped with a friend or ffriends, playing consecutive matches and winning etc. Now what this would do is increase the coins you recieved but only slightly, but it was a reward for being more 'social' and interactive with the game and its community.

http://imageshack.us/a/img267/9365/s...2102317263.jpg

If you see where i'm going with this, feel free to skim this part, but let's say we did the same with SW:ToR. So you've got .. well.. i'll use the known armor (see above screenshot link) thats coming in the Cartel Shop as an example. The price is 1200 coins. Let's say we added a third currency on top of this (before you go 'THATS TO MANY CURRENCYS' look how many currencys we have for commendations and their associated vendors).

To consolidate the point i'm about to make a bit more, here's what would need to be done :
-Let's say this 3rd currency was called "Galactic Currency"

-So if the CCoin price for an item is 1200... make the Galactic Currency price 5000. Every PVP match you win you recieve .. lets say 60-70-80 Galactic$ and if you lose you get... well half that or so.

-If you queue with friends, it gives you a currency 'bonus' for every match you play (example: for every consecutive match won +10 extra coins to match prize money)

-Level 50 Space missions could be made to give a miniscule amount of this 'Galactic Currency', so could the various weekly missions to do ingame.

-Some other 'solo player' activities could be considered so that it best covers the entire community (i only say this because of the whinge thread about hk-51)

So instead of being presented with the option of "spend money or miss out" you can be presented with "spend money/or don't/but if you keep playing/participating in the community you will eventually get something".

I just feel like... What's the point in raiding for "cool gear" when there's better looking gear in the cash shop. It's not fun to raid JUST for the mod armorings and enhancements... thats basically spending 2 hours to change a mathematical representation of your characters strength. At least when you change the actual clothing you can enjoy the new aesthetics. At least if this system were adapted, no matter what you could ALWAYS be working towards something, regardless of whether you have money to spend on the cash shop or not. If you do, then these 'secondary' premium currency would serve to give you a bonus item every now and then.


I'm not a naysayer, nor am i saying i'll be angry/disappointed if they don't do something like this, but I feel that what makes this business model so solid is that it relies on both the typical gamers notion of an 'earnt' reward, aswell as the 'impulse buy' effect that is illicited in people who see others with items that they don't have, which of course makes them want it. It'd give people a reason to pay for a PVP Pass, aswell as a space mission Pass. There are many benefits to this, but again I suppose thats all my own opinion.

Tell me what you guys think!
Sorry for typing so much! (I like to think my Ideas are pretty good, condensation of the expression of those ideas needs work!).. XD

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
10.24.2012 , 12:38 AM | #2
I think they have already determined that Cartel Coins will not be available through in-game play. I take this to also include currency otherwise identical to Cartel Coins.

If you subscribe, you will get a monthly stipend in any case – so essentially, subscribed players will be able to get stuff from the Cartel shop in exchange for time played.

All of which is to say that BioWare has thought this out, and decided to do it this way. Until people have actually played it long enough to generate a useful sample of metrics, that is unlikely to change.

Doverlord's Avatar


Doverlord
10.24.2012 , 12:42 AM | #3
Interesting idea with regards to the 3rd currency and completely agree that it would be nice to be able to have access to the new armour sets (which look awesome).
But it would take some thought to get to it since the new armour sets are lvl 31 sets so would need to have a way for leveling people to get the 'new currency' (maybe the daily GF quest gives you some and the daily pvp quest so that pvpers and pve-ers gain access but then also need to think of something for loners that don't want to have to group up)

This all depends though on how many cartel coins subscribers get per month and what the conversion rate is between 'real money' and cartel coins so see what the armour sets are 'worth'.

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 12:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I think they have already determined that Cartel Coins will not be available through in-game play. I take this to also include currency otherwise identical to Cartel Coins.

If you subscribe, you will get a monthly stipend in any case – so essentially, subscribed players will be able to get stuff from the Cartel shop in exchange for time played.

All of which is to say that BioWare has thought this out, and decided to do it this way. Until people have actually played it long enough to generate a useful sample of metrics, that is unlikely to change.
You clearly didn't read the title OR my post properly. I'm not saying Cartel Coins should be earnable. I'm saying that there should be a third currency that equates to much less than the value of a cartel coin. There's a distinct difference in the purpose of that verses making CCoins earnable. My suggested "Galactic Currency" would be a long term goal currency, whereas CCoins are an instant gratification currency. God I hate it when the first response to a topic is a stupid one.

-- Also Uluain if you read the entire post, you'd know that I already stated that I know we get a monthly allowance of CCoins.

It's about rewarding players for participating in the features that Bioware wants to charge money to give passes for. They're not going to reward you cartel coins for completing an OP when you already paid CCoins to get a pass FOR that OP - HOWEVER rewarding the player with a third currency that has a soul intended use of being spent on a piece of gear EVENTUALLY (weeks/months) might just work?

I don't think I was clear enough in saying that earning this third currency would take a LONG time. Like.. Let's say a month of pvping every day consistently would earn you... enough for MAYBE 1 armor set (and thats if you were taking advantage of things such as a 'friend grouping bonus' or 'consecutive winstreak bonus' etc etc.) Plenty of things likened to this can be thought of easily.

Tim-ONeil's Avatar


Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 12:48 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I think they have already determined that Cartel Coins will not be available through in-game play. I take this to also include currency otherwise identical to Cartel Coins.

If you subscribe, you will get a monthly stipend in any case – so essentially, subscribed players will be able to get stuff from the Cartel shop in exchange for time played.

All of which is to say that BioWare has thought this out, and decided to do it this way. Until people have actually played it long enough to generate a useful sample of metrics, that is unlikely to change.
You are 100% correct. Unfortunately everyone has their own solution to a non existent problem and are convinced that if Bioware doesn't heed their advice it will all end in doom.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 12:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
You are 100% correct. Unfortunately everyone has their own solution to a non existent problem and are convinced that if Bioware doesn't heed their advice it will all end in doom.
Damn, the replies are making it more and more evident that people aren't bothering to read the whole thing (which makes me wonder why you feel compelled to comment) I stated in my OP, that I would not be bothered by/nor disappointed if they didn't do this?

Tim-ONeil's Avatar


Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 12:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nanglez View Post
Damn, the replies are making it more and more evident that people aren't bothering to read the whole thing (which makes me wonder why you feel compelled to comment) I stated in my OP, that I would not be bothered by/nor disappointed if they didn't do this?
I don't need to read a thread that is basically asking them to alter their model they've decided to use. Additionally it would be completely impossible to do any of what you suggested prior to the launch of F2P/1.5. You basically just fleshed out the STO premise.

You know there was a position from Bioware that would have given you complete control over the make up of the monetization of F2P back in the summer. I see a lot of people on here that clearly should have applied. After seeing the cartel shop and realizing that there are things I want in there I can foresee them doing extremely well with this model. But by all means lets ask them to change it now based on a forum post. If you think that's realistic, I don't know what to say. At least put it in the suggestion box where all good threads go to die.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

JimG's Avatar


JimG
10.24.2012 , 01:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nanglez View Post
It's about rewarding players for participating in the features that Bioware wants to charge money to give passes for. They're not going to reward you cartel coins for completing an OP when you already paid CCoins to get a pass FOR that OP - HOWEVER rewarding the player with a third currency that has a soul intended use of being spent on a piece of gear EVENTUALLY.
Sorry, completely disagree. First of all, it would make no sense from BW's perspective to put a method into the game to earn what they are selling (and touting) as "rare" stuff on the market in these packs. If you look at the armor sets and other items that are just a direct purchase, without the packs, then again, there's less incentive for players to purchase these things through coins when they can just wait and eventually earn it in-game. All of this stuff can be re-sold on the market or through trades, so you can spend credits if you want to grind out a bunch of credits and buy it off someone. There will always be a certain amount of people who think they should basically be able to get every item in the game if they play long enough, but that's just not the case and not the way it should be.

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
10.24.2012 , 01:15 AM | #9
5000 credits for 1 CC?

$15/month = 500 cc.
Doing the Belsavis, Illum and BH dailies gives you 400k.
So 400x30= 12 Million.
12 million / 500 = 24k.

So somewhere around 24k/CC is more likely than somewhere around 5k/CC.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Nanglez's Avatar


Nanglez
10.24.2012 , 01:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Sorry, completely disagree. First of all, it would make no sense from BW's perspective to put a method into the game to earn what they are selling (and touting) as "rare" stuff on the market in these packs. If you look at the armor sets and other items that are just a direct purchase, without the packs, then again, there's less incentive for players to purchase these things through coins when they can just wait and eventually earn it in-game. All of this stuff can be re-sold on the market or through trades, so you can spend credits if you want to grind out a bunch of credits and buy it off someone. There will always be a certain amount of people who think they should basically be able to get every item in the game if they play long enough, but that's just not the case and not the way it should be.
It would take a large amount of time to earn an item.. This is my point... you guy's seem to think that you could go earn the currency i'm talking about in like a day/ or a week/or a month like you would other types of gear (PvE/PvP gear) BUT I'M NOT *********** SAYING THAT. You're all acting like i'm suggesting that Cash Shop currency should be 'farmable'.

It'd be more like background noise. Your drive to play would not be for this currency, its just a perk you'd recieve for actually PLAYING the game, and after a LONG PERIOD OF TIME, you would have earned enough coins for one item... lets say... JUST a robe, of a certain armor set. Or JUST THE HEADPIECE. And so on.