Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

EscVelocity
01.03.2012 , 11:48 AM | #11
In the pugs I join hardly anyone ever "gets open". If I'm on the upper ramp, waiting for fire to go away before crossing, and you're in the enemy's zone, don't freaking jump down to go fighting someone below me.
Stay there and anticipate my passing the ball to you.

Be mindful of where the ball carrier is and get open for a pass. If you're not already ahead, then get a head of the carrier so they can pass up to you.

A couple times someone actually worked with me on this, and we scored at least 4 times, and I hardly engaged in combat.

I'd run ahead, they'd pass to me, or I'd pass to them. Worked great.

DarthGrimmlokk
01.03.2012 , 12:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Highcommander View Post
_____ HuttBall 101 _____

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/huttball

At the end of 15 minutes if the score is a tie, the last team to have scored is declared the winner.
Thanks for the guide. This is awesome and what I'm looking for, but are you sure about this one fact? Last night I played a match that was tied 1-1 when it ended and we had scored last. I assumed (from playing WSG in WoW) that in the event of a tie the last team to score would win, and yet we lost. Is there perhaps other factors in play when determining the winner in a tie game? How about if the final score is 0-0 and nobody scored? That happened to me twice last night and my team lost both.

Astarica
01.03.2012 , 12:41 PM | #13
In the case of tie the side holding the ball wins.

In the case of a tie and nobody is holding the ball, I believe it's the team that last had the ball that wins.

Valorn
01.03.2012 , 12:49 PM | #14
This statement is incorrect:
Quote:
At the end of 15 minutes if the score is a tie, the last team to have scored is declared the winner.
In a tie the team holding the ball at the end of the match wins.

I am not sure what happens if nobody is holding the ball (never seen it)

Astarica
01.03.2012 , 12:51 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Valorn View Post
This statement is incorrect:

In a tie the team holding the ball at the end of the match wins.

I am not sure what happens if nobody is holding the ball (never seen it)
I've had a game whre the opposing team threw a touchdown in the last second to tie it, so the ball reset and they won it, so it's either the side that last scored, or the side that last held the ball. Since it's possible to have a 0-0 tie too, I'm inclined to believe it's the latter. Such situation is obviously very rare.

_Foy
01.03.2012 , 01:45 PM | #16
Don't forget that you can pass the ball from the pit up a level or two if you position the AoE targeting reticule just right. This is a GREAT way for anyone to use the pit to their advantage considering the enemy team almost always follows the ball carrier down into the pit.

The only downside is that if you jump into the pit a lot of friendlies will jump down to follow you without thinking. :\
Foy -- Imperial Operative -- Shii-Cho
New WZ medal ideas! - Please give me some feedback and post your own!

_Foy
01.03.2012 , 01:46 PM | #17
In terms of tie breaking I'm fairly certain the team holding the ball at the end wins. If no one is holding the ball then I have no idea what happens.
Foy -- Imperial Operative -- Shii-Cho
New WZ medal ideas! - Please give me some feedback and post your own!

Astarica
01.03.2012 , 01:50 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by _Foy View Post
Don't forget that you can pass the ball from the pit up a level or two if you position the AoE targeting reticule just right. This is a GREAT way for anyone to use the pit to their advantage considering the enemy team almost always follows the ball carrier down into the pit.

The only downside is that if you jump into the pit a lot of friendlies will jump down to follow you without thinking. :\
If you jump down on the pit the opposing team has to follow in case you pass it to someone who has a force leap ability, because then you can use the guy up there to jump back up and that gives you pretty much the best position possible (pass all the fire traps).

The defense strategy should be to immediately KB anyone who is still above the pit when the enemy takes the ball down there, and then immediately jump down to prevent force leap tactics. If you can't get rid of people above, then you've no choice but to kill them first and then jump down.

Highcommander
01.03.2012 , 04:07 PM | #19
Ty all for the comments! I was pretty sure that it is the team to score last that always wins, maybe they changed this? HAHA a product far too many 6 - 0 matches to know the answer :P

I will do some research tonight (play some matches) and see if I can come up with an answer!

georgemattson
01.03.2012 , 04:20 PM | #20
Thank you so much for the guide; there's a lot of good points in here and I can't wait to try them out.

One uber-noob question, though; how exactly do you throw the ball? I have tried to do this on more occasions than I can easily count and have never successfully done so. I have the "Throw the Huttball" ability mapped to a key and have even pressed the button with the mouse. I've manually selected one of my team mates to try and specifically throw it to them. No dice.

Given the comment earlier by EscVelocity (thanks for that as well; great idea) is this something that requires that a team mate be "open" and a fair distance away from any enemy? That would make sense, but otoh, I've never even been able to attempt a pass (i.e., the ball never leaves my hands no matter what I do). I'd think if the team mate was not open, the ball would be intercepted.

Do I need to target a team mate to throw the ball?