Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space combat

FITorion
10.20.2012 , 09:41 PM | #1
shoot wrong forum....

well who likes space combat as it is?

I don't. But it is space combat so I play.

Never attribute to malice that which can be ascribed to sheer stupidity.

Cylnael
10.22.2012 , 10:11 AM | #2
I did every space missions everyday since launch and until i learned BW believed that i loved it. Theyr reasoning seems to be "if they play the missions, they love them". They never understood that we don't love to farm but we do it because we need the rewards. It was the worst farming ever (and i played Everquest 1 during 5 years) in a part of the game that i hate because i consider it a mockery.

I've played a lot of lucas art license since X-Wing. When i heard about swtor, having played champions (same graphic engine) i thought they would managed a "simple" merge. I never imagined one sec we would be facing something that had nothing to do with a real free 3D space combat sim like X-Wing was.

For a time, I hoped the rail "thing" was only a temporary prop before the real thing arrival ...

And now BW announce 10 more rail missions ...

If we want anything else i see only the boycott option. Don't play the so called "space missions". I won't.

FITorion
10.24.2012 , 09:33 AM | #3
yeah... unfortunately it's my pretty much only option.

I don't do heroic missions past the origin world. I don't pvp. I don't do Flashpoints. So I need something to do between planets to get me where I like to be... 2 lvls above min for the next planet.

X-wing. Tie Fighter, and X-wing vs. Tie Fighter are for me the best Star Wars games ever. No game to come out since them has approached their awesome.

The Space Combat in SWTOR sucks. It's like a drop of water on the tongue of someone dieing of thirst. I can just sort of taste the space combat I yearn for...

I got another example... from a terrible movie. Battlefield Earth. The aliens starve the humans then let them loose. Then the aliens watch to see what they eat first and assume that must be their favorite food... The humans... starving just eat the first thing they can find... rats.

BW assuming we like their space combat is like the aliens thinking the humans liked eating rat.

Never attribute to malice that which can be ascribed to sheer stupidity.

Reapers_Ghost
12.04.2012 , 02:12 PM | #4
Maybe its just me... not sure why people hate the space battles so much, I love doing them, don't get me wrong, yeah it could be better and some of the missions suck royal donkey. But I have enjoyed them all, and repeat them many of times every day. The only real complaint I have on the current space battles is that they are only a single ship and you cant have your friends help, since everyone has the same space missions.... never made since to me why on an MMO there is something that is a single person only mission. But other then that... never had an issue with the space battles.

Comparing this game with the other star wars games is kind of lame.... since they are two different games and different times of generation. Its something new and be worked on as time goes on.
Their can only be darkness where there is no light.

RattyRattail
12.04.2012 , 03:47 PM | #5
I don't see why you can't make a comparison to the Xwving/Tie Fighter space combat to the SWTOR experience. Look at jump to light speed from Star Wars Galaxies. I never played it, but from what I've seen on the interwebs it looked superb compared to the watered down SWTOR space combat.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcP95zXWDYU
Makoan Legacy (Jedi Covenant)
Javán - 55 Sniper | Dhiya - 55 Shadow
Cáde - 55 Gunslinger | Nermall - 55 Assassin

Gray_Stalker
12.11.2012 , 09:49 PM | #6
Lets get real for a bit. The only people I know that really like the space missions are the people that use the space bots to farm gold and mats. I personally know people that have had account bans for this, only after somebody rats on them.. Just Google it, several SWTOR space bots out there people are using because of the simplicity of the missions. Exact same thing over and over. Knowing this, now realize that this is a reason they think that space is popular. With bots preforming hundreds of space missions a day.
Frankly the only thing about the space combat that is good is the predictability. Although it reminds me of the old arcade style pilot coin operated games of the 1980's. Anyone that played SWG will be extremely disapointed when they see what BW has done to space. I wish that who ever designed the current space system on SWTOR had taken the time to see how SWG did it.
Fact is with older technoligy SWG had completely customizable, craftable ships. Ships that could land on a planet, fly in the atmosphere and compete in open space pvp. Space was probably my biggest let down initially about SWTOR. I feel so let down about my Bounty Hunter ship that I fast travel when I can to avoid the ship all together.

ThomastheHut
12.16.2012 , 12:26 PM | #7
There is continued interest/ focus in space combat based on this poll from several months ago I think.

While it's no rails-off 3d shooter like so many of us want, it's a space diversion that I, for one, am enjoying.
My kingdom for a de-railed fighter ship!
Core gamers cannot be counted on to support good games, but casual gamers can be counted on to support almost anything, so long as it piques their interest. ~Jim Sterling-The Escapist

DarthKurt
12.20.2012 , 11:03 AM | #8
The space combat is a complete abomination.

They need to take a lesson from Egosoft's X3 Series or Eve... Hell Even TIE Fighter was a better space game than this. THIS SUCKS.
Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

JediShakespeare
01.04.2013 , 12:26 AM | #9
I like the space combat. Its not amazing, but its the closest we're gonna get to another good Star Fox game, so be thankful.

psandak
01.04.2013 , 12:27 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Reapers_Ghost View Post
Maybe its just me... not sure why people hate the space battles so much, I love doing them, don't get me wrong, yeah it could be better and some of the missions suck royal donkey. But I have enjoyed them all, and repeat them many of times every day. The only real complaint I have on the current space battles is that they are only a single ship and you cant have your friends help, since everyone has the same space missions.... never made since to me why on an MMO there is something that is a single person only mission. But other then that... never had an issue with the space battles.

Comparing this game with the other star wars games is kind of lame.... since they are two different games and different times of generation. Its something new and be worked on as time goes on.
It is not just you, I am of the same opinion. While I loved the entire X-wing series, I knew going in that there was NO WAY IN HELL they could implement that style of play into a themepark MMO. So my expectations were less than "normal". Add to that the fact that I enjoyed the "rogue squadron" game which is an "on-rails" space combat game.

When I started playing I did all the space combat missions every day. Now I do them when I feel like it. The space combat is just another "ride" in the themepark; if you do not enjoy it there is no one holding a gun to your head saying you have to do it. I am not saying those who are requesting more should stop, just don't expect miracles over night.