Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eventual Story End

Rabenschwinge
10.11.2012 , 08:16 AM | #21
Like all MMO, this one just creates a certain status quo and puts whatever content there is into that status quo. Even the individual class and planetary stories within SW:TOR contradict each other. I don't see why a development out of that status quo, progressing into the future would be helpful.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

errant_knight
10.11.2012 , 10:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Like all MMO, this one just creates a certain status quo and puts whatever content there is into that status quo. Even the individual class and planetary stories within SW:TOR contradict each other. I don't see why a development out of that status quo, progressing into the future would be helpful.
What is it my warrior says...? Ah, yes, 'some elaboration is in order.' I've seen no contradiction in the stories. They just take place at different times and with people who have different sets of knowledge. What are you referring to?

SmugglersLuck
10.13.2012 , 11:00 AM | #23
If Bioware doesn't make up an end to our character's stories, we the players can do that ourselves.
Darth Zumiya
The Keeper of Light Walker of Dreams

CelticMarauder
10.13.2012 , 12:21 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
What is it my warrior says...? Ah, yes, 'some elaboration is in order.' I've seen no contradiction in the stories. They just take place at different times and with people who have different sets of knowledge. What are you referring to?
Trooper and Republic Balmorra Spoilers
Spoiler

Post-Corellia, both sides
Spoiler
Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers. Target Everyone! SOMEBODY FIRE! - The Operative
Life's full of disappointments roly-poly. - Smuggler to a hutt.
We have intelligence that suggests that Hitler is plotting with the Legion of Doom to assassinate Jesus...using the lake as a base. - Lois Griffin

Lustephelon
10.15.2012 , 03:19 PM | #25
Don't forget those planets that they can't let factions share because they contradict each other.

Or that I can make a new character and somehow the galaxy is not at war even though my 50 is...

Partly its the fact they chose a character based story rather than trying to tell the Galaxies story. They want to make it more personal, but in doing so make it harder to RP well even without the other contradictions.

errant_knight
10.15.2012 , 04:43 PM | #26
I don't see the problem. Just pay attention to your timeline, both the time that you're class story takes place and that time changes through that class story. It's not that big a deal or particularly hard. It's not like 2 of your characters can rp together, or that rp between player characters needs to adhere that closely to the game timeline. Place your rp where you will. I actually opens up more in terms of possibilities and character growth than it would be otherwise, with a little bit of thought.

CelticMarauder
10.15.2012 , 10:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lustephelon View Post
Don't forget those planets that they can't let factions share because they contradict each other.

Or that I can make a new character and somehow the galaxy is not at war even though my 50 is...

Partly its the fact they chose a character based story rather than trying to tell the Galaxies story. They want to make it more personal, but in doing so make it harder to RP well even without the other contradictions.
These things actually don't bother me all that much. I understand that each player's storyline is structured a little bit like a book. Every character's storyline starts and ends at approximately the same points in time, so of course starting a new character is going to bring you back to the beginning of the galactic story as well. That's absolutely fine with me.
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
I don't see the problem. Just pay attention to your timeline, both the time that you're class story takes place and that time changes through that class story. It's not that big a deal or particularly hard. It's not like 2 of your characters can rp together, or that rp between player characters needs to adhere that closely to the game timeline. Place your rp where you will. I actually opens up more in terms of possibilities and character growth than it would be otherwise, with a little bit of thought.
I do pay attention to the timeline, and the fact that I have several characters (and have finished with both the Agent and the Trooper) grants me insight into why certain events happen the way they do, the connections between some of them, and when they occur in relation to other events. I have a very good imagination, so I can usually rationalize things that don't mesh perfectly together. The only thing that bothers me is when two major storylines that are taking place concurrently openly conflict with each other. See my Trooper's example a few posts above.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't really RP at all. I just try to make the story make sense in my head as I'm playing through it.
Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers. Target Everyone! SOMEBODY FIRE! - The Operative
Life's full of disappointments roly-poly. - Smuggler to a hutt.
We have intelligence that suggests that Hitler is plotting with the Legion of Doom to assassinate Jesus...using the lake as a base. - Lois Griffin

Temeluchus
10.16.2012 , 06:49 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by CelticMarauder View Post
Trooper and Republic Balmorra Spoilers
Spoiler

Post-Corellia, both sides
Spoiler
1st Spoiler:

Spoiler

2nd Spoiler:

Spoiler

Nothing contradictory there, you just missed some things.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

OldVengeance
10.21.2012 , 09:17 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
The OP is a bit off when he said that all the Sith in the Empire have to die to fit with the canon. Darth Ruin's forces begin with the 50 Knights that fall with him and pockets of Sith that are leftover from this Empire.

As it's been brought up earlier, all we know is this current Sith Empire is gone by the time Ruin comes around, what we don't know is if it is defeated,wiped out,absorbed by the Republic,defeats the Republic and overthrows the Emperor and DC and becomes a new Republic or some other crazy scenario. The time period just hasn't been fully developed and there is a lot of wiggle room.
What exactly is the source that says that the Ancient Sith Empire still survives until the New Sith Wars? I don't see how that would make sense. Darth Ruin's fall was a big deal. It directly led to a thousand years of constant war between the Republic and the Sith. If there were already pockets of Sith in existence, then he and his 50 friends turning to the darkside is meaningless.

Temeluchus
10.22.2012 , 10:34 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
What exactly is the source that says that the Ancient Sith Empire still survives until the New Sith Wars? I don't see how that would make sense. Darth Ruin's fall was a big deal. It directly led to a thousand years of constant war between the Republic and the Sith. If there were already pockets of Sith in existence, then he and his 50 friends turning to the darkside is meaningless.
By comments made by Albert Pena in various media like interviews and magazines. He didn't create Ruin(GL did) but he is the one picked to expand upon him.

From what I remember he just said there were remnants of Sith still around and Ruin united them and brought them into his Empire. It's pretty much speculation on whether these Sith were leftovers from the Old Sith wars or Vitiate's Empire; due to the timeline though it seems more likely there are from vitiate's.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.