Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

Lord_Karsk
10.01.2012 , 10:20 PM | #21
I made it to lvl 3 in GW2, no joke lvl was so boring.After lvl in swtor, gw2 was just so boring.

Froippi
10.01.2012 , 10:24 PM | #22
yea but at the same time do you feel ripped off from GW2 to me it didn't feel that way i got a 69 ranger and i don't feel ripped off since no sub fee

Sindorin
10.01.2012 , 10:30 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Anishor View Post
Just in time for those of you that like vertical gear progression to get back on that ladder.

There are plenty of things to do in GW2 for those that want more than a gear treadmill ( in pvp or pve ).
Like jump puzzles and meaningless titles and trophies for exploring another equally meaningless world? Lore is paper thin BTW, added with the copied story aspect from SWTOR (anyone notice Miko and the Consular voice actors?), I simply think GW2 is boring, and a lot of people feel likewise. I am glad to be back.
< White Rose >
For The Republic!
Oya, Surtr! Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum!

Altephor
10.01.2012 , 10:33 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindorin View Post
First off, I have probably been playing this game since around a year before launch, in a myriad of beta rounds. I've been playing pretty much since launch as well, with the exception of this past month when I made the mistake of buying Guild Wars 2. I have to say, SWTOR is infinitely better, despite some of it's obvious flaws. The style and mechanics of Guild Wars make it more of a multiplayer game and less of an MMO. It's pretty much the same as the original, with less instancing. No quests, heart/jump puzzle/waypoint grinding and WvWvW Zergs where you can do nothing without a blob of people with you.

SWTOR is just a much more polished, and well designed game than Guild Wars 2, that relies on tried and tested MMORPG mechanics. This whole "re-invent the wheel" trend with MMO's is ultimately going to fizzle, and we will realize once again that quest hubs, grinding, and gear progression are what make an MMO, and MMO in the firstplace among other items.

tl;dr? Tried GW2, hated it, glad to be back to SWTOR.
There are so many things wrong with this post, I'm not sure where to start.

First of all, your assertion that "quest hubs, grinding, and gear progression are what make an MMO, and MMO in the firstplace among other items," is way off base, because there have been many MMOs without these mechanics that were quite successful. Asheron's Call STILL has servers (12 years later), and is not designed around raids, which quite honestly ruined the whole genre IMO.

GW2 has plenty of quests, they're just not retarded ones that ask you to kill 35 rats and collect 10 rat tails.

heechJunzi
10.01.2012 , 10:34 PM | #25
If you look at xfire numbers, gw2 has dropped off a cliff in recent days. Swtor is remaking largely flat this month.

The big test is when f2p hits.
Junzi - EWH Sentinel Buxi - EWH Commando Jünzi - EWH Operative
----------- The Harbinger -----------

bogatron
10.01.2012 , 10:55 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
Agreed.
I Agree with you as well! I will be enjoying GW2 right along side with TOR, but after re subbing to TOR yesterday, I cant see myself touching GW2 for at least a month

I really love the sense of progression here. I put the time in to get my war hero gear and Its a blast having a character that feels powerful in the open game world. In GW2 unfortunately at level 48, I have yet to experience that feeling. I guess the lack of character progression / attachment in GW2 is what ultimately made me re sub, along with the fact that Bioware has made an incredible game, with so much depth. Its gonna take me years to finish all 8 story lines. ( I doubt I ever will )

Yogol
10.01.2012 , 11:31 PM | #27
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions about both games. But there are certainly some features that GW2 has better, regardlessly of opinions.

- Today, they applied a patch. I happened to be on. You get logged off, you download the patch (takes about 5 minutes) and you log back on. That's it!
No 5 hours downtime or anything... just log off, download, log on, done.

- Server tranfers... you select your character, you say what server you want to go, you log off, you get a drink, you come back, you log on and BOOM, you are on the other server.

- Travelling is done with a gazillion waypoints instead of 2-3 minute rides.

- The character creation has way more options.

- Higher players can help lower levels, their level is automatically lowered to whatever the content is. I personally find this a great feature, because it makes all ''dungeons'' (that are the FPs here) repeatable.

- It's free to play.

But indeed... the game mechanics are fundamentally different. There are no tanks/DPS/heals. There are no 35 skills you got to pick from in battle. There is no companion. You got to pick what relics to put on your items. There are no speeders.

It is indeed entirely different for PvE than SWTOR.
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.

QBSlide
10.01.2012 , 11:41 PM | #28
I am still deciding to be honest. The reason I left SWTOR is because of how static the worlds feel. I don't feel like I'm living in a world. I'm not immersed. Everyone stands in the same place, and nothing ever happens. GW2 feels much more like a living, breathing world, much like SWG.

SWTOR, however, has ruined MMOs for me. I expect dramatic cut scenes and full voice acting the entire game with MMOs now.

Stenrik
10.01.2012 , 11:47 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by QBSlide View Post
GW2 feels much more like a living, breathing world, much like SWG.
I agree, while I haven't explored most of the GW2 world yet, what I have seen has a total vibrance to it. I love the atmospheres, the cities, the wildlife, the ambient sounds - all are leaps ahead of SWTOR. I hope the SWTOR devs rip off what they can from it.

Laris_Rai
10.02.2012 , 12:10 AM | #30
And to think, it wasn't that long ago we had people running around yelling/gloating the GW2 would kill TOR. And now...well, that's why I never listen to fan predictions.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson