Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

Nemmar
10.01.2012 , 08:03 PM | #11
GW2 was a huge disapointment. used to love GW1 and GW2 is nowhere near as good.

The combat is a huge step back from the original, plagued by horrible decisions meant to "revolutionize"the genre. It really ended up proving the genre is actually getting it right. No trinity = zergs all day.
No resources = auto-attack spam.
No endgame = nothing worthwhile doing

Its basically one boring,repetitive and uncohesive mess.

tuneinwill
10.01.2012 , 08:04 PM | #12
I am enjoying TOR more than GW2. I just subbed today after playing around with the trial over the weekend.
GW2 is too repetitive and I do not like the horizontal level progression. TOR also runs better on my computer and still looks nice.

CharleyDanger
10.01.2012 , 09:08 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindorin View Post
It's opinion that I don't like it. But like it or not, there isn't much to do unless you like puzzles. No quests, no real gear progression, and a severe lack of character development and progression. You learn all the skills and abilities you need by level 20. The other 60 levels are filler content, as if it was an afterthought and a reminder of the hard cap from GW1.

Most people come up with the excuse that it's "not a traditional MMO. It's different, the gameplay style is different. Learn to play. You'll like it!" I usually just say you're right. It's not a traditional MMO. It's not an MMO at all.
I love the gear progression just as much as the next guy (Thats why I will always have a SWTOR sub), but GW2 is so refreshing with its lack of gear progression. I love that I can craft my endgame gear. The system allows you to run difficult content as a fresh 80. I of course will choose to then grind the dungeons for the pretty skins for my armor, but stat wise I am good to good to go as soon as I hit 80 and craft my gear box.

I love SWTOR, but the game is way too easy, the planets feel dead, and their is no sense of wonder like GW2. Plus GW2 is up there with the greats with SPVP. I think you should give GW another chance.

Sindorin
10.01.2012 , 09:12 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by CharleyDanger View Post
I love the gear progression just as much as the next guy (Thats why I will always have a SWTOR sub), but GW2 is so refreshing with its lack of gear progression. I love that I can craft my endgame gear. The system allows you to run difficult content as a fresh 80. I of course will choose to then grind the dungeons for the pretty skins for my armor, but stat wise I am good to good to go as soon as I hit 80 and craft my gear box.

I love SWTOR, but the game is way too easy, the planets feel dead, and their is no sense of wonder like GW2. Plus GW2 is up there with the greats with SPVP. I think you should give GW another chance.
I will give you crafting as the games most refreshing and strongest aspect. The robust economics and crafting make the game interesting. Unfortunately unless you were an artisan in SWG, I doubt the game will be as fun for people like me who enjoy the grind, traditional style leveling and gear.

Masta-Blasta - Vanguard

Sindorin - Assassin

Skorz
10.01.2012 , 09:22 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
GW2 was a huge disapointment. used to love GW1 and GW2 is nowhere near as good.

The combat is a huge step back from the original, plagued by horrible decisions meant to "revolutionize"the genre. It really ended up proving the genre is actually getting it right. No trinity = zergs all day.
No resources = auto-attack spam.
No endgame = nothing worthwhile doing

Its basically one boring,repetitive and uncohesive mess.
I liked GW1 too. I made it to lvl 20 in GW2 then got bored of it. My whole guild quitting was also one of the reasons I stopped playing it. 50 euros wasted.. oh well.

Draekos
10.01.2012 , 09:24 PM | #16
Welcome back folks. GW2 looks good, but not my cup of tea.
Currently playing Nhatt Sixpack on the Bastion.

darkwingduk
10.01.2012 , 09:50 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ZORG View Post
Your Opinion. I happen to like both games. I play both. GW2 is free month to month. I am playing it to relieve me of my TOR burnout. I am also waiting to see how the F2P deployment goes.
In other words.... your saying.. ladies and gentlemen "I am burnt out from playing Tor.
Keep running that mouth of yours, like Billy the Kid.... I'll make ya famous

Fleurdelis
10.01.2012 , 10:01 PM | #18
Welcome back. It doesnt hurt to have something else to play to break up the monotony but tor is the best out there imho.

Anishor
10.01.2012 , 10:04 PM | #19
Just in time for those of you that like vertical gear progression to get back on that ladder.

There are plenty of things to do in GW2 for those that want more than a gear treadmill ( in pvp or pve ).
Nightlife, Ebon Hawk Server

Sranishor, Warden
( Jugg/Guard ) ( Mara/Sent )
"For the best party you've ever had.."

MaliksKid
10.01.2012 , 10:16 PM | #20
GW2 has a better auction house. I like that it has little RNG in the crafting system. I like the freedom to quick travel where you like (cash permitting). I don't like endgame gear progression. That said I prefer the overall experience of SWTOR more. The events system in GW2 is fun at first, but then you realise it's still Kill X Mobs or collect X items, it's just they don't tell you how many. At no point has GW2 made me play just to see my story unfold because frankly I don't care. SWTOR ruined levelling in other games for me because the stories are just so damn good.