Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

Sindorin
10.01.2012 , 06:15 PM | #1
First off, I have probably been playing this game since around a year before launch, in a myriad of beta rounds. I've been playing pretty much since launch as well, with the exception of this past month when I made the mistake of buying Guild Wars 2. I have to say, SWTOR is infinitely better, despite some of it's obvious flaws. The style and mechanics of Guild Wars make it more of a multiplayer game and less of an MMO. It's pretty much the same as the original, with less instancing. No quests, heart/jump puzzle/waypoint grinding and WvWvW Zergs where you can do nothing without a blob of people with you.

SWTOR is just a much more polished, and well designed game than Guild Wars 2, that relies on tried and tested MMORPG mechanics. This whole "re-invent the wheel" trend with MMO's is ultimately going to fizzle, and we will realize once again that quest hubs, grinding, and gear progression are what make an MMO, and MMO in the firstplace among other items.

tl;dr? Tried GW2, hated it, glad to be back to SWTOR.

Masta-Blasta - Vanguard

Sindorin - Assassin

Andryah
10.01.2012 , 06:20 PM | #2
Well, there is no single MMO that is everything to everyone.

GW2 is fun to knock around in for a change of pace (and it is in my stable of several that I currently play), but I do agree that overall SWTOR is a much more polished product. Whenever I log in to SWTOR, the first thing I notice is the UI, and how great it is compared to other MMOs, and the smoothness of game play overall. Yeah, there are still bugs, and if you are a hyperactive PvP gerbil then the UI is not good enough. Happily, I hung up the gerbil costume years ago so I could care less.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

ZORG
10.01.2012 , 06:20 PM | #3
Your Opinion. I happen to like both games. I play both. GW2 is free month to month. I am playing it to relieve me of my TOR burnout. I am also waiting to see how the F2P deployment goes.
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to hate
HATE leads to suffering

ChaoticDynamite
10.01.2012 , 06:23 PM | #4
I agree Guild Wars 2 just didn't cut it for me. Had to return.
If theres one thing SWTOR taught me about PvP is don't hope don't ever hope just start building up your tolerance level.

Sindorin
10.01.2012 , 06:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ZORG View Post
Your Opinion. I happen to like both games. I play both. GW2 is free month to month. I am playing it to relieve me of my TOR burnout. I am also waiting to see how the F2P deployment goes.
It's opinion that I don't like it. But like it or not, there isn't much to do unless you like puzzles. No quests, no real gear progression, and a severe lack of character development and progression. You learn all the skills and abilities you need by level 20. The other 60 levels are filler content, as if it was an afterthought and a reminder of the hard cap from GW1.

Most people come up with the excuse that it's "not a traditional MMO. It's different, the gameplay style is different. Learn to play. You'll like it!" I usually just say you're right. It's not a traditional MMO. It's not an MMO at all.

Masta-Blasta - Vanguard

Sindorin - Assassin

Stenrik
10.01.2012 , 06:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Well, there is no single MMO that is everything to everyone.

GW2 is fun to knock around in for a change of pace (and it is in my stable of several that I currently play), but I do agree that overall SWTOR is a much more polished product. Whenever I log in to SWTOR, the first thing I notice is the UI, and how great it is compared to other MMOs, and the smoothness of game play overall. Yeah, there are still bugs, and if you are a hyperactive PvP gerbil then the UI is not good enough. Happily, I hung up the gerbil costume years ago so I could care less.
Agreed.

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.01.2012 , 06:28 PM | #7
Months ago I told everyone Gw2 is in fact..complete horsedung. Got already bored to tears in the second beta. Now forums are full of people being bored at low levels, no motivation to login,...
Glad I didn't waste my money on this. A collection of pointless fetchquests wrapped up in an atrocious story.
I only wish TOR planets had similiar designs and size, but that's about it.
Imho the only title worth playing besides TOR is Secret World, that one is amazing and goes well together with my taste for great RPG storytelling and immersion. But Gw2 is a complete overhyped waste of time.

Sildanar
10.01.2012 , 06:50 PM | #8
Same for me.

Played GW2 and didnt like it, very very pretty game, but the combat is boring and playing melee is pretty much a death sentence.
Movement controls are sloppy and the story is far far away from the fantastic stories is this game.
Also agree that The Secret world is quite good, though its combat system is horrid, but to me it didnt matter as much as I look at that game as a story based game rather than a combat based one.
Which strangely enough made me even more annoyed with GW2, I looked at it as a pvp/combat based game...
so to see the sloppy controls and spam fest 1 button auto attack + 4 abilites plus weapon swap and CD's and thats it = Dull to me.
Hot join pvp was a horrific disapointment, what a berserk spamfest, WvWvW was excellent in concept, but could not make up for the ****** combat.

TLDR, tried GW2 now back to SWOTR and loving it.
Starcaller Legacy
Master Dar'Nala server R.I.P
Now Harbinger & The Bastion
PVP Healer

Andryah
10.01.2012 , 06:59 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Imho the only title worth playing besides TOR is Secret World, that one is amazing and goes well together with my taste for great RPG storytelling and immersion.
I agree with you on that L_R. Though I keep a couple of others installed, for variety. Next to SWTOR though, TSW is the next best thing out there right now.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

DanteDeLaRocha
10.01.2012 , 07:06 PM | #10
I'm really going to have to remember the term "hyperactive PVP gerbil." So true!
The Cookiemonster Legacy, The Shadowlands