Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc DPS I Am Confused

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Merc DPS I Am Confused

Sorripto
09.28.2012 , 02:34 PM | #1
I rarely if ever comment on the forums, but I feel I must say this. I have seen page after page of people calling BH Mercenary one of the weakest classes and crying from the rooftops about how hard DPS is as a Mercenary. Well my question is what am I doing wrong, or right depending on who you ask? Unless I am defending a target I will always be in top three or so on DPS and kills. I will be honest as a player I am not the most skilled out there but a person like me who plays only a few pvp matches a day and only a few hours a night when I do play can do so well with a Mercenary then why are so many people calling them so weak?

I am not trying to start a huge flame war here but I honestly want to know what "style" a Mercenary is supposed to fit where so many people are having trouble with them and maybe I am doing something "wrong".

Technohic
09.28.2012 , 02:42 PM | #2
What DPS spec you use? Arsenal or Pyro? Cuase I think most of the complaints come from the arsenal turret casters.

At any rate, the only thing I can gather is mercs are not the best at 1 vs 1 DPS by any means. I'm not sold either way yet outside of that. Seen a few good ones. Seen some bad.

UGLYMRJ
09.28.2012 , 02:47 PM | #3
From the general feedback it's not the damage output that the complaints are about but the survivability. If you get caught in a 1v1 situation how well does it usually work out for you? Would you consider trying to solo a single defender node against and assassin, PT, marauder or jug?

Jadescythe
09.28.2012 , 02:51 PM | #4
The main argument I see (and understand) is why be a merc DPS when a powertech does it better? Pyro is hands down the best merc DPS spec for PVP and the sister tree for PTs is just better (with taunts I might add, much better than heals since they don't affect your GCD or have terrible cast times).
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Technohic
09.28.2012 , 02:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
The main argument I see (and understand) is why be a merc DPS when a powertech does it better? Pyro is hands down the best merc DPS spec for PVP and the sister tree for PTs is just better (with taunts I might add, much better than heals since they don't affect your GCD or have terrible cast times).
Yeah, I never intended to go pyro on my merc when I rolled it because of that thought, but you do get 30m now, which wasn't an advantage before. It's not much now, TBH; but its ok. You do get cure, which will work on some roots and snares; and you could in theory, off heal situationally. You definitely have to work harder, no matter how much I try to minimize the fact that Pyro PT is better.

Sorripto
09.28.2012 , 02:57 PM | #6
To answer your question I am arsenal. The second point I think I understand you are saying why play a Merc when a PT DPS is higher, but my question still stays that I am confused by the people who complain that Merc is the weakest class in the game.

Jadescythe
09.28.2012 , 03:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorripto View Post
To answer your question I am arsenal. The second point I think I understand you are saying why play a Merc when a PT DPS is higher, but my question still stays that I am confused by the people who complain that Merc is the weakest class in the game.
Arsenal's problem is you are shut down when TM gets interrupted. If you get left alone you'll be fine and you'll be fine in PUGs as well. Rated is where it comes into play most significantly. Any spec that hinders movement is less than ideal (insert lightning here), but overall, the mercs that I know are good play pyro now. As for being the weakest class, the only other turret classes are sniper and sorc (lightning). Sorcs have bubble to throw everywhere and more CC and escapability. Snipers are immune to leap and put out significantly more DPS than mercs, especially when left alone. We all know the advantages of PT, mara, sin, and jugg I assume. Operatives are interesting. They will crazy burst one person popping out of stealth, but then either have to restealth or die most of the time, but as 90% of ops are healers you don't hear much from them.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Lowyjowylof
09.28.2012 , 03:38 PM | #8
As a Gunnery Commando, to me it's not the dps, it's the lack of utilities, since we're casters. I can do fine dps wise in a WZ provided I'm left alone. In Solo WZ, I hope there's a healer and try to park next to him or go where he goes. If not stay at ranged and hope the Juggs/Mara don't dry hump me to death.

Our snares and new root are laughable. With cryo being nerfed, it's even more laughable.

Our new interrupt is nice but it didn't justify getting rid of the knock back with stockstike and reducing the range of cryo.

I would be fine with the changes if we had a cover type utility where leapers couldn't leap or a buff so casts couldn't interrupted.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

Capt_Beers
09.28.2012 , 03:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorripto View Post
The problem is actually being able to put out that DPS. It's pretty simple to shut down a Merc/Commando if you decide that's what you want to do. No interrupt immunity for the DPS trees, especially affects Arsenal/Gunnery. Should a melee class leap/pull you you really have no effective means of getting away from them, more so now with the loss of the KB on Stockstrike.

As far as team utility, if you're not healing you have none. No speed, leap, pull, team buff outside of your class buff. You have no cover mechanic like Smugglers for leap/interrupt immunity. The only think Merc/Commando DPS birngs to the team is DPS, DPS that can be easily shut down. You're one hard stun and an interrupt away from being put on your heels, especially from a burst class like a PT or Marauder (and Maras are also the kings of interrupts).

There is simply nothing that a Merc/Commando DPS can do that another class can't do much better in the hands of the same player.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

Apaolo
09.28.2012 , 03:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
The problem is actually being able to put out that DPS. It's pretty simple to shut down a Merc/Commando if you decide that's what you want to do. No interrupt immunity for the DPS trees, especially affects Arsenal/Gunnery. Should a melee class leap/pull you you really have no effective means of getting away from them, more so now with the loss of the KB on Stockstrike.

As far as team utility, if you're not healing you have none. No speed, leap, pull, team buff outside of your class buff. You have no cover mechanic like Smugglers for leap/interrupt immunity. The only think Merc/Commando DPS birngs to the team is DPS, DPS that can be easily shut down. You're one hard stun and an interrupt away from being put on your heels, especially from a burst class like a PT or Marauder (and Maras are also the kings of interrupts).

There is simply nothing that a Merc/Commando DPS can do that another class can't do much better in the hands of the same player.
Well said ^