Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

Karquile
11.05.2012 , 12:06 AM | #71
That text wall from shava that everyone's quoting in full has problems. It's full of sour grapes about some supposed segment of players, which is only actually important if you obsess on those things.

SWTOR is a perfectly fine game. The problem it has had from Day One is that there are about 350,000 people who will pay to play a well-designed and well-run Star Wars MMO. Not ten million, not one million - about a third of a million. But EA/BioWare and LucasArts conned themselves into believing they could reach WoW-sized numbers because, well, Star Wars. And they invested accordingly, and for a while sold boxes accordingly. People installed from those boxes, tried to play the game for a while - and then everybody who wasn't one of the 350,000 left.

Gamers being gamers, we naturally have to listen to a hundred cockamamie theories for the "failure," that it's because Imperial Hat is bugged, because they won't let you get into a 3-way with Cedrax and Holiday, etc, etc. And of course TOR had some stumbles, like most new titles. But really the game itself is fine. It was just never going to stay much bigger than it is now - and that was not the publisher's plan. Everything follows from that. Even now, they think that Free-To-Play is going to open the floodgates and make it a huge game. Watch and see.
Welcome to the Public Test Server! / PTS Forum Guidelines
Friendly testing guilds to join: Primus (Republic) and Alpha (Empire).
Chat with other testers in-game: /cjoin Test
PTS Ventrilo server! gametest.typefrag.com port 23300

Vultana
11.05.2012 , 03:20 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammm View Post
I have to agree with most of the things Shava wrote. I witnessed it so many times irl among some friends and acquaintances:
1st. They'll talk about that new mmorpg months prior to its launch and they'll play in every beta phases.
2nd. They'll preorder it asap and stay awake all night before the launching day.
3rd. They'll burn through the mmo without reading the story, without taking the time to look around in the maps, without socializing, without trying the other classes, etc.
4rd. After 2-6 days, they're already at max level. After 1-3 weeks, they're already max geared and guess what? Yep, they are already totally bored.
5rd. They'll start to complain a lot and write many really negative comments about that mmo in forums/chat/websites.
6rd. They'll unsub.
*Repeat steps 1 to 6* until death...
Thank you for this. I agree 100% with what you wrote based on what I've witnessed in this game and WoW over the last 6 years. Personally, I love this game. I love the fact that I get to live out my own Star Wars Fantasy as several different characters, and I am sick of all the negative crap I am forced to read (from people who claim to have "unsubbed") each time I go out on the internet for information about the game.

Darth Hater is the last site to stay up-to-date I fear and I get pissed off reading the same negative nanacy comments on there, but it is really the only one who stays completely current. ForceJunkies tries, but is always a couple days behind and seems to be only ran by 1 person anymore. I think this leaves opportunity for someone who has the time to draw on those of us who still love and support this game. If I were unnemployed right now, I might even take a shot at it myself, lol.
Prophecy @ Canderous Ordo
http://www.prophecytheguild.com
The Tavik Legacy
Vult - Narshadal - Rhiyana

darkapprentice
11.07.2012 , 02:33 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by LibertySol View Post
http://www.swtor-spy.com/ The top 2 pieces of news on swtor spy are "Why SWTOR failed" and "SWTOR - The End" the latter basically saying the site runners are going into maintenance mode and only because they invested a lot into the site.
2 seconds of looking that those two told me that the op didn't even look at the those two and incorrectly assumed it was from swtor-spy when the link specifically says swtor life and the links go to that website, not swtor-spy.
Eclipse Vet (Sarah'Skye/Kara') Pre-CU TKA/Master Doc.
<RRR> Member. Ex member of <-A-> and Musica
Chim: Kyera and Sarah' Ex Member of SoS (Sisters of Serenity)

Devlonir
11.07.2012 , 03:21 AM | #74
To actually go back to OP (and not give Shava the praise she deserves for her honest and clear observations), Massively actually posted a nice little blog entry yesterday describing many of the still active community websites and their uses.

So really, the answer to the original OP's post:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11...ning-to-swtor/
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

filipesantana
11.07.2012 , 04:07 AM | #75
its not supported by most sites....hmmmm...i wonder why.....its defenity because the game is fine.........(sarcasm off)

they have to pull the plug...no one wants to support a ghost town..

AshlaBoga
11.07.2012 , 02:01 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by filipesantana View Post
its not supported by most sites....hmmmm...i wonder why.....its defenity because the game is fine.........(sarcasm off)

they have to pull the plug...no one wants to support a ghost town..
Here's the thing though, even in the beginning these fan sites were terrible: the datamining was never updated, even in 1.15 and half it was wrong.

The shear amount of false info these sites posted makes me glad to see them go.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

maxetius
11.07.2012 , 07:07 PM | #77
TOR has never and will never have the community other games boast.

I'm not sure what it is...

CharagonIGN
11.12.2012 , 03:13 PM | #78
Look, just because you have no standards doesn't mean the game is good.

SWTOR isn't a bad game. It's just... amateurish. It's poorly balanced, missing a ton of standard features, and half-asses nearly everything else. Beyond that, it's clear that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing 90% of the time.

If you want to dink around and press some buttons to watch things flash on the screen, SWTOR is perfectly capable of providing that experience. But let's not pretend that this game has anywhere near the level of polish needed to do much more than that.

-Silver-
11.12.2012 , 03:32 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by CharagonIGN View Post
Look, just because you have no standards doesn't mean the game is good.

SWTOR isn't a bad game. It's just... amateurish. It's poorly balanced, missing a ton of standard features, and half-asses nearly everything else. Beyond that, it's clear that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing 90% of the time.

If you want to dink around and press some buttons to watch things flash on the screen, SWTOR is perfectly capable of providing that experience. But let's not pretend that this game has anywhere near the level of polish needed to do much more than that.
Yep. It's a perfectly good game, but it's not great. It's not even close to great. The voiced storylines are fantastic, but it's been almost a year now without any update to them. Everything else is taken from WoW and implemented with less polish. Even little quality-of-life things like the camera and micro-stutter need more work. And don't give me "WoW has been out for 7 years" nonsense. Why don't you go release a brand new phone on the market with features equivalent to a phone from 2005 and see if the "Apple has had products on the market for longer" argument flies. People pay for a service, and they will want to pay for the best one. Compete properly, or don't compete at all.

BUT

F2P is about to go into effect, and we all know how LOTRO famously tripled its revenue when it introduced the F2P model. And to add to that, Episode VII has been announced. Holy hell people. The folks at EA probably screamed so loudly in excitement at that announcement that every window in their central office shattered.

F2P should increase revenue, and EA should invest more cash into this game in preparation for the huge influx of players in a year's time when hype for the next film starts to really build. If they can iron out all these creases, implement some unique new content (please do something with space!) and transform the game into something truly great instead of merely 'good', then we have nothing to worry about.

So yes, you've got to be in denial if you think this game has done particularly well over the last year. But you've also got to be in denial if you think the future doesn't look a heck of a lot brighter for SWTOR.

Slowpokeking
11.12.2012 , 03:38 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
Yep. It's a perfectly good game, but it's not great. It's not even close to great. The voiced storylines are fantastic, but it's been almost a year now without any update to them. Everything else is taken from WoW and implemented with less polish. Even little quality-of-life things like the camera and micro-stutter need more work. And don't give me "WoW has been out for 7 years" nonsense. Why don't you go release a brand new phone on the market with features equivalent to a phone from 2005 and see if the "Apple has had products on the market for longer" argument flies. People pay for a service, and they will want to pay for the best one. Compete properly, or don't compete at all.

BUT

F2P is about to go into effect, and we all know how LOTRO famously tripled its revenue when it introduced the F2P model. And to add to that, Episode VII has been announced. Holy hell people. The folks at EA probably screamed so loudly in excitement at that announcement that every window in their central office shattered.

F2P should increase revenue, and EA should invest more cash into this game in preparation for the huge influx of players in a year's time when hype for the next film starts to really build. If they can iron out all these creases, implement some unique new content (please do something with space!) and transform the game into something truly great instead of merely 'good', then we have nothing to worry about.

So yes, you've got to be in denial if you think this game has done particularly well over the last year. But you've also got to be in denial if you think the future doesn't look a heck of a lot brighter for SWTOR.
Too bad many key staff members left, including the story writers.