Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

LibertySol
09.26.2012 , 04:09 PM | #1
I've been trying to find an up to date calculator for a while and I couldn't so I did a little digging. What I found wasn't pretty: TOR is no longer supported by any major website.

http://www.torhead.com/ Doesn't have up to date calculators and hasn't had them since June. Most items are still from beta. Most items don't have any comments. And the forums are pretty much a ghost town. They haven't even mentioned 1.4 support. Not to mention this site is still in Beta and it's been like 9 months.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/ The top 2 pieces of news on swtor spy are "Why SWTOR failed" and "SWTOR - The End" the latter basically saying the site runners are going into maintenance mode and only because they invested a lot into the site.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/ They haven't had an update since late April going by the change logs. I guess that says it all.

http://www.swtorface.com/ This site is really awesome and it's still being updated. But the content is almost non existent. It's a great site for companion related content but otherwise it's just news and aggregates information from other sites. There's almost no comments on many of their posts and the ones that do have any feedback are less than 4 comments each.

http://db.darthhater.com/ This is the only site I think that is pushing out content seriously. And imo it's the best website out there for TOR. The content they are pushing shows they still care about the game. Unfortunately they like swtorface have almost no community. But that could change if one day BioWare somehow brings this game back from the brink.

However if anyone knows a great website that is still active post it here. I'm done with TOR anyway but for those that read this it'd be cool for them.

Stenrik
09.26.2012 , 04:15 PM | #2
I love how the SWTOR-life site has a big "Visit our new Website: Guild Wars 2 Life" message as the background image. lol

Knockerz
09.26.2012 , 04:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
I love how the SWTOR-life site has a big "Visit our new Website: Guild Wars 2 Life" message as the background image. lol
Whoever ran swtor-life gave up on swtor and is moving onto GW2.

Doesn't surprise me op. A game needs a certain amount of people playing it for website like torhead or similar websites to keep supporting swtor. There probably isn't enough people accessing those websites that they are not generating enough revenue off advertisement to justify the high maintenance. How many EVE websites exist like torhead or wowhead? There are any that I know, probably cause the amount of players isn't high enough to justify building such a website and maintaining it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

Stenrik
09.26.2012 , 04:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
Yeah... I kinda figured that out on my own. I just found it funny since it's so "stereotype" I guess, a visual representation of a migrating/fickle gaming community stereotype; guess you had to be there.

ShepardSpock
09.26.2012 , 04:27 PM | #5
Jupiter Broadcasting had a Podcast to be the brother or sister broadcast to STOked the STO broadcast. The guy only did like 7 episodes with the last one being done almost 5 months ago.

Never been that big of a fan of their other shows but for them to stop says something.

shava
09.26.2012 , 04:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
Well, that whole complex started out as LOTRO-life amiright? C'mon...
===
/* formerly Ashtara, the only female trandoshan (TKM/scout/sword) on Chilastra */

oakamp
09.26.2012 , 04:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Knockerz View Post
ya, they do that right decision.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

Lord_of_Mu
09.26.2012 , 04:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ShepardSpock View Post
Jupiter Broadcasting had a Podcast to be the brother or sister broadcast to STOked the STO broadcast. The guy only did like 7 episodes with the last one being done almost 5 months ago.

Never been that big of a fan of their other shows but for them to stop says something.
To be fair Chris was pretty put off by STO. TOR really doesn't offer much more than WoW did a few years ago, only this time we have lightsabers!

The complaints about this game haven't changed since beta. Too much focus on story, no major innervation, not enough of the "key features" mmos should have at launch. Sadly I don't see any thing changing from what we have now.

Lord_of_Mu
09.26.2012 , 04:52 PM | #9
And I hit back and ended up double posting. Yay.

shava
09.26.2012 , 05:00 PM | #10
Actually upon thinking on it further, I had to respond to this more thoughtfully.

The sites you are talking about are, I think except for DarthHater (which is Curse, Inc. which is a multi-national dotcom, 19mil hits a month) all at best semi-pro and mostly all fan sites. Fan sites are ephemeral in many games.

SWTOR is in the news every day by the professional games press, for good or ill.

If the games press were an old-style journalism sort of thing, without comment streams, SWTOR's coverage would probably look much better than it does. However, comment streams make every AAA game out there look like crap, particularly the ones that don't have very crafty and clever social media folks who are both very adept and close to the fans. EA/Bioware seem to just have money at the corporate level, and do neither of those other things all that well.

But the current fashion in MMORPGs is that a vocal minority of gamers who love to guild up and raid -- let's call them the Piranhas -- dominate the social media metagame of the online world of MMOs. They spend all their free time that they are not gaming on Twitter, in comment streams, filing scathing reviews on Metacritic, you name it. Their hobby is to be gaming hipsters, essentially -- to see how snarkily and cuttingly they can shred a game to show off how sophisticated a gamer they are among their leet peers.

These are the armchair generals of MMOs.

So as a game emerges from pre-beta, these guys (and they are by vast majority male IRL) are scoping it like Fantasy Football dudes evaluating draft picks. They start talking about how it is or isn't like WOW, how it's prospects are to be F2P or why it will suck before the company publishes any terms at all. A cinematic trailer at E3 will erupt a crapstorm of vitriol. A change of devs will start doomsaying avalanches. A choice of distribution channels. From a bunch of idiots who really at root know zip about running a business. They mostly just like to listen to each other mouth off wise.

So when head start comes or beta or pre-beta, these guys descend like the school of piranha. They will get in as soon as possible. They will insist on top of the art graphics, performance, story, content, support -- but they will SKIP all of the two years of content that the devs put into the game.

Within two days, they have raced each other to level cap, where they will be ************ to the universe about how:
  1. It's too easy to get to level cap
  2. there weren't enough side quests even though they didn't stop to smell the npcs along the way
  3. the story (which they didn't read) sucked
  4. the end game is grindy and too much *and* not enough like WOW

And at this point, with all the variations on the theme (I'm sure you can come up with all the rest) they will call on the producers and the devs to have a summit with all the guild leaders to fix the doomed game, because only they can save the game. They will travel to Iceland or Austin or something, drink themselves silly, insult the female gender in any way they can in the majority, further confuse and ruin the game for crafters, roleplayers, people who like story, people who *do* spend time on content and so on, and then upon returning to the game and the forums, say no one listened to them....

And leave to destroy the next game.

I am tired of it. SWTOR did not fail the players. EA and a segment of players failed SWTOR. And that segment of players is failing the industry and will be making it impossible for a AAA game to get VC money within two years, I suspect. It's not a pretty picture in the industry right now.

/* retired game CEO and VP Marketing/Bizdev */
===
/* formerly Ashtara, the only female trandoshan (TKM/scout/sword) on Chilastra */