Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
10.01.2012 , 02:01 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricktur View Post
lol, man that point went right over your head didnt it?

IT WAS A SUBBASED MMO UP UNTIL TWO MONTHS AGO.

they switched it to a single player with multiplayer element model because investors were too scared to invest in the original sub based mmorpg model.

lol, fanboi power is unlimited isnt it? you just didnt want to do research before you blindly defended swtor. . ..
Dark Millennium was announced as switching to a single player game 6 months ago, not 2 months ago.

It's a good bet that discussions that led up to that announcement started even earlier than that.

This wasn't some recent change.

Jetronin's Avatar


Jetronin
10.01.2012 , 02:23 PM | #112
The resolve system has always worked completely fine for me. And once explained to my guildies it has always worked fine for them.

If you run off on your own your dead, no class should be able to take on multiple opponents. If you rush in to a class with lots of stuns on your own, again you will probably die. The resolve system tells you when you wont be CCed (sorry I have NEVER had it not work). This is critical for huttball for example where you can use it to time moves and when you should not run but pass.

I see players regally complaining about it after being killed, and they tried to cross the fire with no resolve, or ran into a large group on their own. I disagree that is not fit for purpose, players just don't understand it or think they should not be able to ever be stunned by other players.

No effective stuns (WoW system after what 2 stuns?) and stuns are irrelevant on PvP. Maybe they need to balance some of the PvP stuns better. I will say that, but they don't need to change resolve, if you use it well it is vastly beneficial.
Jedi Gardian - Tank
Guild Council of The Watch Republic-EU-PvE, currently recruiting

Say something positive: Get called a Fanboi
Say Something negative: Get called a Hater

MOPSFounder's Avatar


MOPSFounder
10.02.2012 , 01:47 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
You must not read these forums to accuse TUXs of being a fanboi. He is a conerned player who deftly (if not so subtlely) put a dig in against EAware. Not sure how you missed it.

So have I!

Did I mention... TUXs is like... one of my best friends here?

Jeffor's Avatar


Jeffor
10.02.2012 , 10:35 AM | #114
I am not predicting total doom yet but it's amazing how many players who refuses to admit that this game has serious problems. I guess not everyone has been here from the beginning but I have and I've watched this game lose many, many players over the last year. Myself, I can barely find enough interest to log in-even after the latest patch. There's just never anything new to see. If you are a PVPer then you are really out of luck because all there is is a few warzones that are fun but not fun enough to take up all of the PVP action.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I am not cancelling but EA/BW needs to turn this game into an MMO already.
LotRO: Jeffaman/Lilnooblet/Jeffrandir/Cephus-Brandywine Server
SWG: Cephus/Herodotus Tchuck'Tchuck'aachoo-Ahazi Server (At one with the force)
SWTOR: Cephus TchukTchukAchoo-Jedi Sentinel-The Swiftsure Server
Farewell SWG Gone but not forgotten S238

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
10.02.2012 , 10:51 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeffor View Post
I am not predicting total doom yet but it's amazing how many players who refuses to admit that this game has serious problems. I guess not everyone has been here from the beginning but I have and I've watched this game lose many, many players over the last year. Myself, I can barely find enough interest to log in-even after the latest patch. There's just never anything new to see. If you are a PVPer then you are really out of luck because all there is is a few warzones that are fun but not fun enough to take up all of the PVP action.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I am not cancelling but EA/BW needs to turn this game into an MMO already.
It's a fair bet that the people defending the game are still having fun with it.

For myself, this is my first MMO so I don't really have anything else to compare it to. I will say that I still have fun, mostly because I've made friends playing the game and we still like to group up to do stuff. I suppose when I finish the last of my class quests there probably won't be as much of a pull for me to continue to log in.

The funny thing is, I installed Torchlight II recently and while it was fun, the combat was so simple I found myself missing my gunslinger.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
10.02.2012 , 10:53 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeffor View Post
I am not predicting total doom yet but it's amazing how many players who refuses to admit that this game has serious problems. I guess not everyone has been here from the beginning but I have and I've watched this game lose many, many players over the last year. Myself, I can barely find enough interest to log in-even after the latest patch. There's just never anything new to see. If you are a PVPer then you are really out of luck because all there is is a few warzones that are fun but not fun enough to take up all of the PVP action.

I am a big Star Wars fan and I am not cancelling but EA/BW needs to turn this game into an MMO already.
Well to be fair they did many update and mini events, WOW didn't have a PVP system until 1.4 and didn't have a BG until 1.5. Of course the time is different.

The biggest problem of TOR is simple: People are getting tired of MMO, at least WOW alike MMO. Beside the story, the WZ, the FP and OPS are well designed but it's still WOW alike type. Once you finish the class story it's just another WOW, plus WOW is a much more mature game and already got strong fanbase, so people gave up on TOR.

Beside this, the only big problem of this game is just that Group Finder came out WAY too late.

Jeffor's Avatar


Jeffor
10.02.2012 , 11:03 AM | #117
It's not that TOR is a bad game. It is a lot of fun, it looks slick and has some great features. For me at least it just lacks the re-playability that good MMOs offer. The raids in this game are fun but they aren't all that challenging limiting their replay value. World PVP was the big sticking point for me. Even after they destroyed my original server and forced me onto a more populated one there was still no nightly PVP battles aside from the warzones. Warzones are fun for practice and gearing up but once a PVPer is geared they want to use the gear.

It's so disappointing to have a cool looking SW MMO and there are no big battles going on when there should be huge battles every night. I will be checking things out again this weekend and it is possible that improvements have been made but there just isn't enough going on every night to make me want to log on. Of course, these are my opinions and everyone feels differently about what they want in an MMO so YMMV. Still, I know I can 't be the only one on the fence feeling this way. Luckily, I can afford to pay for game accounts I rarely use but not everyone can.
LotRO: Jeffaman/Lilnooblet/Jeffrandir/Cephus-Brandywine Server
SWG: Cephus/Herodotus Tchuck'Tchuck'aachoo-Ahazi Server (At one with the force)
SWTOR: Cephus TchukTchukAchoo-Jedi Sentinel-The Swiftsure Server
Farewell SWG Gone but not forgotten S238

Urael's Avatar


Urael
10.02.2012 , 11:36 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by MOPSFounder View Post
So have I!

Did I mention... TUXs is like... one of my best friends here?

Then tell him he still owes me a statue!!

Semi-related to the topic. I think patch 1.4 IS the Dark Path of SWTOR's downfall if they don't fix all the crap this patch broke. If this is what they consider to be a quality of life UPGRADE then Otherly Furred Martial Artists may win out. Just sayin'.

MOPSFounder's Avatar


MOPSFounder
10.03.2012 , 01:35 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Then tell him he still owes me a statue!!

Semi-related to the topic. I think patch 1.4 IS the Dark Path of SWTOR's downfall if they don't fix all the crap this patch broke. If this is what they consider to be a quality of life UPGRADE then Otherly Furred Martial Artists may win out. Just sayin'.
Will do!

Not only was it more feature-heavy, but it just brought tons more bugs into the game. Now I realize that every new patch has it's issues, but it seems like the HeroEngine is just screwing the dev team over.

As a current fanboy of the game, I want things to turn around. As a current hater of this game I'm just seeing more and more bugs plaguing this game, and with each and every subsequent patch it seems like they just hinder this game's progress even further. Heck, even the Unsubscriber's Thread has even gotten more posts and it seems like more players have unsubbed or are on the verge of unsubbing. It's all really sad, but if this game manages to ever hold 100k+ subs that'll do it for me.

I'd really like for this game to be known as the "best MMO, after WoW" (because let's face it, this game won't be able to beat the mainstream that is WoW ). Though this game is bleeding subs and is probably not gaining any new players, I'm eagerly awaiting F2P as I can only count on that for EAWare to turn this game around.

And LOL are your last sentence!

Urael's Avatar


Urael
10.03.2012 , 11:55 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by MOPSFounder View Post
Will do!

Not only was it more feature-heavy, but it just brought tons more bugs into the game. Now I realize that every new patch has it's issues, but it seems like the HeroEngine is just screwing the dev team over.

As a current fanboy of the game, I want things to turn around. As a current hater of this game I'm just seeing more and more bugs plaguing this game, and with each and every subsequent patch it seems like they just hinder this game's progress even further. Heck, even the Unsubscriber's Thread has even gotten more posts and it seems like more players have unsubbed or are on the verge of unsubbing. It's all really sad, but if this game manages to ever hold 100k+ subs that'll do it for me.

I'd really like for this game to be known as the "best MMO, after WoW" (because let's face it, this game won't be able to beat the mainstream that is WoW ). Though this game is bleeding subs and is probably not gaining any new players, I'm eagerly awaiting F2P as I can only count on that for EAWare to turn this game around.

And LOL are your last sentence!
I want SWTOR to succeed also, I too am both a "fanboi" and a "hater" at this point in time. The former because well it IS Star Wars, the latter mainly because of Patch 1.4 right now. TBH, Patch 1.4 motivated me to play my Hunter and my Rogue(s) last night instead of playing SWTOR. It was sorta surreal, it felt familiar and yet not so much. What I was struck by most when going to the new continent was how vast it seemed in just one area than most of the "planets" in this game. And that was just one area on one continent. So much to explore. Somehow it "felt" more Massive than SWTOR of late. I have to admit that a spark has been lit. Hmmm, all due to patch 1.4. Heh, Patch 1.4 may be the reason for me leaving SWTOR and going back to WoW full time.