Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWG Jedi vs SWTOR Jedi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
SWG Jedi vs SWTOR Jedi

kirorx
11.01.2012 , 08:47 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Doqtyr View Post
So I have a question that may seem antagonistic however my feelings toward SWG end in I wish I knew it existed. My question is, If SWG was so awesome and everyone prefered it, why did it have to be shut down? I would assume if an MMORPG is popular and very good it will only grow and expand. However as much as I love the Star Wars Universe and Games I never heard of it until Game Informer did an article about the server shut down. I think SWTOR is a lot of fun, I keep my subsciption even when my playtime drops due to other games and hobbies because I like to jump on for an hour here or there and I want to support the game as much as possible. I have no complaints about the game, I think it had a great start and can't wait to see what it becomes. In fact the only negative I encounter is the overwhelming amount of people who would rather complain about what it doesn't have than enjoy what it does. I am not immune to wishing for something and maybe BioWare watches and makes new stuff happen, however I bet you have a better chance of having your gaming wishes granted if you are nice to them and appreciate thier hard work.

Maybe?

Could be.
SWG had some issues, the massive problem of course was that SOE really burned the players when they dropped the Combat Upgrades that allowed people to become jedi from the start. Imagine grinding Full warhero armor here and then making that a purchasble item for 20k to all new players. So people were bitter.

Another problem, one i think a lot of MMOs have is advertising, SWG never seemed to advertise and the only publicity it got was hate from the burned player base.

SWG had things like entertainer professions and business owners and basically an interactive world, something that newer mmos are getting away from and therefore the audience has changed greatly. There was no group finder or "need/greed options" it was just meet people, make friends and play together.

SWTOR offers alot that SWG could never offer, graphics being one of them. Yet, for some reason some of the things that SWG was good for SWTOR kinda left out. Day/night, interactive commnity, free roaming space, home ownership.

Why they left these things out, i dont know. I guess they figured the audience today was more interested in grinding gear than interacting with each other. We dont even have simple things like chat bubbles. (which drives me nuts, lol)

SWG also let you buy and combine stats from your gear more readily, so you could customize your gameplay alot. This was an awesome feature. I did my research and my Light side jedi could really shine in PvP.

SWG was struggling til lthe end yet pumping out new content every couple months, the last years we saw zombies, costumes (yeah you could turn into a rancor, jawa, gungan or even a mynock), hourly invasion in major cities and even atmospheric flight. You could buy robotic limbs, even a robotic chest piece for super cyborg action.

Another cool feature was that i could change both factions and professions, this was cool because i never had to level up again. The leveling process was tedious and boring in SWG, but you only had to do this 1 time. I did it twice in 8 years. You can experiece the entire game with one character, this was awesome.

So IMO Jedi was more fun in SWG because my character had more life, he owned a sandcrawler home in Moenia, had been in the empire but defected to the rebellion, he was always hunted by bounty hunters (other players) his gametyle and history had been his own. Here my jedi can do much cooler animations but he is the same as everyone else and his gear is the same as everyone else, so he is ok i guess.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

Doqtyr
11.01.2012 , 10:09 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Not really. The entire point of a sandbox game is that the players are given free reign to do pretty much anything they might want to do. The entire point of a story driven game is that the players exist as characters within a larger story. Those 2 things exist at cross purposes. Even from a developmental standpoint, it's still cross purposes because sandbox design operates around creating a plethora of options for players to get access to, generally including a highly manipulable world while a story driven design operates around creating a cohesive story. The only way you're really going to see the two of those in the same game in appreciable quantities is if they exist in discrete and separate parts of the game and don't really interact appreciably, which therein begs the question of what the point is exactly.

From the perspective of "impossible design", it's not impossible insofar as not having the tech available at the moment. It's impossible insofar as they are entirely discrete types of games. You either get a sandbox or a story.
I have in the past used the word impossible to describe things when I cannot imagine how. You yourself have already begun to imagine the possibility. Sometimes I have to start a project to solve the challenges, but that why we try, thats what makes being a craftsman or an artist fun. when I close my eyes I can see an RPG combat system that feels as visceral as Assasins Creed although I have not seen it and do not know how it would work. Maybe it exists maybe it doesn't, but words like impossible and never are the only things that garantee failure. You may not wish to play a game that allows you to follow stories and events when you choose all while providing major areas to play and create, but I am certain I am not the only person that would.

One of the benifits of digital media is the only resource you cannot reuse is time and if the forums are any indicator people who play games and love game have lots of that. I read some of the descriptions of SWG, they mention quest givers, isn't a quest a story? Or is the SWG definition of a quest different? On the Republic fleet I can have a dance party, the only reason I cannot change things is the fact that it is not programed to allow us to do so.

I would not be suprised if the artists and craftsmen at BioWare spend some time every week trying new things. Give them your ideas, your time, and your money and I bet they will create things you and I can barely imagine.
0))))))))))O))){)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))
We may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Proud to be a Founder and Subscriber from Launch

CdrChaos
11.01.2012 , 02:02 PM | #23
One thing I much prefer about SWTOR to SWG; in Galaxies, you could be a Jedi and side with the Empire, the people who commited Genocide against your kind, that never made any sense to me, at all. And yes, the skill tree let you either take Light Side or Dark Side powers, but the thing is, a Force User who uses the Dark Side is called a Dark Jedi, having a Light Side Jedi working with the Empire was always something that burned me about Galaxies since it went against the lore so much.

And I have to ask, I really do, was it REALLY enjoyable to have to grind for days or weeks just to start playing a Jedi? If you want to be a Jedi it should just be an option, instead of everyone playing the same classes because 'they have to' in order to unlock a Jedi. People who want to be Smugglers can be Smugglers, people who want to be a Jedi can be Jedi. It's just common sense.
Colonel Tigh: Yes, we're tired. Yes, there is no relief. Yes, the Cylons keep coming after us time after time after time. And yes, we are still expected to do our jobs!
Commander Adama: We make mistakes, people die. There aren't many of us left.

Doqtyr
11.01.2012 , 09:10 PM | #24
I heard that one of the two games origionally made "Jedi" a profession that was limited to only a few and it had to be found randomly. The Lore half of my brain loves it, the Gamer half just rage quit.
0))))))))))O))){)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))
We may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Proud to be a Founder and Subscriber from Launch

Daynna
11.03.2012 , 02:47 AM | #25
A large portion of the hate for SWG was when the NGE dropped and it went from 32 professions to 9, including making Jedi a starting profession, eliminating some the professions people liked and chose to play.

Sure it had it's bugs, but it also had a lot more variety, something this game severely lacks.
Variety is the spice of life.

Hiniba
11.04.2012 , 10:35 PM | #26
(played SWG) SWTOR Jedi everytime. We have more than two options for existing (There it was Light Side Tank or Dark Side DPS/Off tank) there was no Light Side DPS. Also movement was always finicky and while force run was fun and well missed it was hardly precise; I was sold on Force Leap during the beta and still my favorite ability.
No abilities like Force Push, Saber Throw isn't just another ability to toss in at melee range it's relevant and used at range.
Basically Pros of each:
SWG:
LS Jedi made you feel like a god in terms of how much damage you could absorb.
Active saber absorb/reflect
Ranged parry was unique and interesting.
Force Run.
Huge Heal.
Double Bladed Lightsaber (if we are comparing Jedi in SWG just to Knights here)

SWTOR:
Force Leap
Can be a tank OR DPS
Dual Weilding Option
Force Push
(small thing but no saber throw and then hitting people with the saber that is still flying through the air)
Guadian Leap
Overall: more varied abilities.
Short term group buffs/small heal.

I could go into more stuff like appearance tabs and stuff like that but I'd rather not get into difference of game to game just class to class.
Also I'm comparing SWG at the end to SWTOR now. I'm not going to compare SWG at it's peaks to SWTOR currently that's Egypt was a better civilization at its height than Rome was at its beginning.
"When all choices seem wrong, choose restraint."
-Yoda

CdrChaos
11.06.2012 , 04:33 PM | #27
From a lore side, yeah, making players work to unlock Jedi sounds great, but gameplay wise, making them grind over a dozen professions to unlock said Jedi is just torture. Then again after the NGE you could have Jedi fighting for the Empire. No matter how you try to spin that RP wise, it will never make sense. The Empire systemically murdered the Jedi as part of their takeover.

One thing I liked in SWG over SWTOR when it comes to Jedi is the fact that you could wield a double blade and actually fight with it. I made a Shadow cause I wanted to fight with a double blade and I have 3 melee abilities right now. That's...that's just boring, and impractical for a melee class.

Also, purple color crystals. You could actually FIND them in Galaxies. Also a bit of irony; Jedi in SWG longed for the full outer robe look which was only available to Elder Jedi, while Jedi in SWTOR are stuck with robes because most of the lvl 50 gear for Knights look like utter garbage.
Colonel Tigh: Yes, we're tired. Yes, there is no relief. Yes, the Cylons keep coming after us time after time after time. And yes, we are still expected to do our jobs!
Commander Adama: We make mistakes, people die. There aren't many of us left.

YoshiRaphElan
11.06.2012 , 05:36 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by CdrChaos View Post
Then again after the NGE you could have Jedi fighting for the Empire. No matter how you try to spin that RP wise, it will never make sense.
You could RP an Imperial Inquisitor. The point of RP is that it's limitless.

Malefik
11.08.2012 , 08:01 AM | #29
When SWG first launched ppl didn't even know how to become a Jedi (of course it was leaked at some point) It was a secret. I helped a lot of my guildies with it but I never wanted to play Jedi I was TKA all the way!! When the Jedi players heard about "the quest line" to become a Jedi they were a little mad and I didn't blame them at all. Sony said this before they released the quest line. "To all of our Jedi, this is your time" Sony honored them by making them pretty much unbeatable for a while. IMO it was well deserved. I did play a Jedi after nge when they canned tka . In the end I rolled a Spy (loved pharting things to death). In pre-cu SWG you had to REALLY want to play a Jedi in order to stick with the grind. That in it self made the game more Star Warzy. SWG was a different game for another time, for a different type of person. You can still play it for free. SWGEmu. The space game in SWG kept me subbed for years.
I get a little long winded when it comes to SWG. I have many great memories. It was a lot more social than SWTOR. Maybe it was just the time it came out or the players I don't know.
BLESSED DARKNESS
~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~
~~x~~x~~> May the Dark Light shine! <~~x~~x~~

Serving the Dark Side since 1999

Ycoga
11.08.2012 , 08:27 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Malefik View Post
You can still play it for free. SWGEmu. The space game in SWG kept me subbed for years.
I get a little long winded when it comes to SWG. I have many great memories. It was a lot more social than SWTOR. Maybe it was just the time it came out or the players I don't know.
I can't, because I got the Galaxies trial on a 'best of star wars pc games' bundle and d/l a timecode later on...

and you need the original discs for legal reasons to play the Emu.
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny