Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Izabo
03.26.2013 , 05:30 PM | #3781
Where is Harbinger located? I logged in and created a toon there. The ping rate was all over the map. I created a Smuggler and my ping was over 700, with one red bar... then it went to about 250 with 3 bars, but kept fluctuating... I live in the U.S. My ping on Shadowlands is usually around 60, and on Dalborra, between 250-300. If an American trying to play on Har, what can Aus folk expect? What is up with this ping rate? Hardware issues? I play on Dal because my friends are there... This solution isn't working for me; how can it work for them?
Unto death I send you, without honor.

MitchPB
03.26.2013 , 05:36 PM | #3782
Quote: Originally Posted by Izabo View Post
Where is Harbinger located? I logged in and created a toon there. The ping rate was all over the map. I created a Smuggler and my ping was over 700, with one red bar... then it went to about 250 with 3 bars, but kept fluctuating... I live in the U.S. My ping on Shadowlands is usually around 60, and on Dalborra, between 250-300. If an American trying to play on Har, what can Aus folk expect? What is up with this ping rate? Hardware issues? I play on Dal because my friends are there... This solution isn't working for me; how can it work for them?
Could depend on your ISP
<BOG> <Concept>

Papageorgieo
03.26.2013 , 05:41 PM | #3783
So does this mean my Netzero 3G 56k dial up connection wont be fast enough?

ChuangTzu
03.26.2013 , 05:42 PM | #3784
Quote: Originally Posted by Paelo View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that the "think tank" down at EA/Bioware works a little like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY
Lol but even that is too complex for BW's decision making!
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

aVmuse
03.26.2013 , 05:54 PM | #3785
Quote: Originally Posted by soneil View Post
That's my one gripe. Personally I like the idea of merging with a US server. People on dalbora really don't understand what it's like to play on a server where your only hope of getting any multiplayer content is to arrange it with one of the stable guilds on the server. If I wasn't in such a good guild I'd basically be playing a single player game now. Just not enough population for group finder to be worth anything. Yeah I think combining the australian servers would be better but it's simply not realistic. Other MMOs don't do it because it's not cost effective. We got 3 servers for a year. No way they'll do one. We can demand all we want but when the game's already bringing in a lot less subscriptions than EA thought it would, we need to be realistic about things.

Having said that, I want to choose which server I go to rather than have one arbitrarily picked for me. A lot of people who started on harbinger will be returning to their old server. Well when I came to APAC servers I got to pick which one I came to. I chose an RP server but didn't have it forced on me. It wasn't a case of now you came from an RP server, therefore you must transfer to Gav Daragon. I made a choice. Now we're getting kicked off APAC servers I too would like to return to my old server rather than starting off all over again on a completely new one. Nothing against Begeren Colony but it's not the only RP server. If I have to move I want to go to ebon hawke where my old guildmates from the 13th legion are (formerly on sanctum of the exalted before us server mergers).
You literally are the thickest person of this thread seriously. We have a perfectly fine server "Dalborra" that you could be merged too without deleting all the oceanic servers, but HURR DURR I want us server! Me want us server!

But you must be happy biofail are catering to your inability to figure out that dalborra is fine. Also you seem to love to use anecdotal evidence as fact since biofail haven't confirmed if oceanic servers aren't financially viable to run, so I'll toss another gem of anecdotal evidence back at you,the bastion off peak population, when it is Australian prime time has less people playing the dalborra, so when are they closing the bastion?

Thornsbane
03.26.2013 , 05:55 PM | #3786
Quote: Originally Posted by vian View Post
Well, I haven't been DCing, or even lagging all that much. Even in highly populated areas and even in HM FPs and Ops. But gee, if you're "pretty sure" that's terribly convincing. Especially since you haven't actually, you know, tried it.
You should keep in mind the fact that many of us played on NA servers before the apac ones opened so are quite aware exactly what its like.

It may also depend on what your playing, if your a high end pvp or ops players the extra lag changes everything. RWZ's and NM EC are pretty razors each as it is......which a seconds lag you cant compete.

The guild I am in, for example, does both these things so dumping us onto a NA server has basically destroyed the game.

Oh no, wait! I can still do dailies without disadvantage!

Also, this was clearly the last thing we wanted so BW just totally ignored us. I can see why people are annoyed.

BovineDeath
03.26.2013 , 05:57 PM | #3787
I'm sorry that MD and GD have population issues, but Dalborra is just fine. I'd rather see it left as is and would welcome our friends from RP and PVP servers to come and join our excellent community. It may not be as big as some of the super servers in NA, but we will not have the same sense of community over there that we had here.
Petition to merge APAC servers, not remove them: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...em-into-1.html

Izabo
03.26.2013 , 06:00 PM | #3788
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
Could depend on your ISP
My rates are consistent with Shadow, Dalborra, Harbinger and I just tested The Red Eclipse, a European server. Shadowlands is on the east coast; Harbinger on the west coast and I am in the middle of both. I get a better rate on Dalborra than I do on a West Coast server. I also get a better rate on the Red Eclipse, tho not by much. I play an Aus server because I work nights, sleep days and that is when my guild is active. If I'm having ping issues, I cannot imagine what they will deal with. We're likely going to lose some folks over this. Why not consolidate the three asian pacific servers and give the players wanting more pvp challenge, the option to copy to Harbinger, if that is what they are seeking? That would be a win-win scenario.
I did add my voice to the petition.
Unto death I send you, without honor.

jackdaley
03.26.2013 , 06:05 PM | #3789
Quote: Originally Posted by aVmuse View Post
So we have to give up our latency which is a factor for online games, for a solution that doesn't benefit a majority of Dalborra a least. I bet you've never had to deal with being bull******* by lag, but then again you're probably a low latency privileged, yet stupid American who wouldn't understand what its like to play online games outside your own country.

Also it's not 1hr+ queues for pvp on Dalborra, but HURR DUURRRR IM AMERICAN I KNOW EVERYTHING.

And also I have played on American servers and the lag sucks.
Wrong i'm australian and what i've been saying makes more sense than your stupid logic "ERMMAEGRDDD MY PING is GOING TO BE 180-200 UNPLAYABLE, **** this game and **** EAWARE for fixing the population issues HURR DURRR (see i can look internet funny aswell ***)" granted it's not the most ideal solution but it's a still a solution which is better than playing on ghost town servers like MDN and GD

And it seems that only Dalborra players are butthurt about it from what I can see MDN and GD are actually glad but no you can't let go of ur lil tight knit community

BTW buddy Dalborra had like 80 people on the pub fleet on a monday night at "primetime" and the imp fleet wouldnt of been much better which..sorry to burst your bubble is a dying server. stop living in denial the APAC servers are dead/dying and there's not anything you, me or any other apac player can do about it. GG

LadyKohastFel
03.26.2013 , 06:08 PM | #3790
Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtyshadow View Post
The no.1 cause of our Ping is the Pacific Ocean.
There is only one way to fix Ping from Australia/Oceanic Region customers to North America West Coast server

Improve the connection quality and the internet routing to the server, and the only proven way in gaming that comes close to that is to provide/access a Tunneling Routing service across the Pacific Ocean!

Wow had unofficial ones, but they sometimes weren't stable... if EA provided an official tunneling server, where we could log into Sydney and get direct routed to NA West coast server network, that would be epic. That would be a innovation, but then again this is EA, they already proven this year they have no concept of how the internet and game connectivity actually works.
They need to do this or at least officially allow us to use third party tunneling services.
I would be satisfied if they did something about the latency that will cause SWTOR to lose a LOT of APAC players.
Remember Antaria, Naboo, Starsider Server.