Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ENDGAME UPDATE: World PVP

EnkiduNineEight
09.24.2012 , 07:00 AM | #11
Thank you for your reply. Yeah, it certainly would require at least 6 months of development time, and after that some contant tweaking until they get the formula just right, but I have never seen a better way at fostering community engagement than a PvP model like this. Its why GW2 siphoned off quite a few players because it is, in many ways, a spiritual successor to the DAoC model.

By creating a persistent, ongoing battle with multiple front lines and the opportunity to strategise as a faction there will always be a PvP fight for those people who are looking for one. No sitting around waitig in queues for a psuedo 'sporting event' like the present WarZones where nothing really comes of it but equipment bragging rights if you waste enough time doing it.

EA purchased Mythic Entertainment and rolled them up into BioWare, so they should still have someone AND they have the rights to look through the Mythic properties and see how it was done.

I strongly recommend that they consider more open world PvP because the present model is a good deal of why the end game stagnates and is exciting no one.

Darth_Precursor
09.27.2012 , 02:10 PM | #12
/signed
Dynaster- Operative Medic
Chillum- Deception Assassin

<GOML>
The Bastion

KShafe
09.27.2012 , 04:21 PM | #13
/SIGNED AGAIN... at least some have some forthought about how to keep the game going...
StarStyder - Combat Sentinel

Izorii
09.27.2012 , 06:49 PM | #14
I like the ideas in the OP. I would however start smaller and suggest 1 decent open world PvP planet which has bases, quests and all the good stuff of open world PvP. Just replaying through as a smugler and I thought wouldn't it be cool if once you got to lv 50 Balmora became a PvP planets with resources, quests and players actually faught over Balmora. It would also be nice to go back and see who is actually winning as both the empire (on my empire toons) and the replublic (on my republic toons) both claimed victory.

Nolo-fin
09.27.2012 , 07:37 PM | #15
/signed

I think all of this would work. I really like the 3rd faction idea. Hell, they kind of brought one up at the end of the story with the New Empire in a way (even though you couldn't play as it). It would be an awesome idea to have some dark jedi/light sith make a new faction that is in the middle. It could add to the story, open new worlds, maybe be in a new expansion with more story lines. I think the 3 planet Ilum system is cool, I wanted to have some show downs in forests but I'm stuck out on a heap of ice or a heap of sand. Gets old after awhile. If they ever finish the "secret space" whatever they are working on I think sections of space could be PvP. Maybe on one of the planets there can be controlled points that each side has to take in order to get some specific bonus of some kind. There are thousands of reasons to encourage large scaled open world battles. BioWare just needs to find it.

Irongut
09.28.2012 , 09:47 AM | #16
Proper world pvp is something we really need, warzones are contrived pvp imo and provide little interest for me.

I like your idea to expand Ilum and provide goals with advantages to achieving them. Something along these lines would encourage people to fight. It would be a lot of work and balencing would probably be tricky but I would really like to see it.
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

EnkiduNineEight
09.29.2012 , 07:40 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Irongut View Post
Proper world pvp is something we really need, warzones are contrived pvp imo and provide little interest for me.

I like your idea to expand Ilum and provide goals with advantages to achieving them. Something along these lines would encourage people to fight. It would be a lot of work and balencing would probably be tricky but I would really like to see it.
Well that is the great thing about this idea. Its not a 'new' idea. I'm not responsible for it.

DAoC is a property _owned_ by EA. DAoC's team (Mythic Entertainment) was rolled into the BioWare studio.

This was their idea and it worked really well and the balancing is really not that tough. as the bonuses for holding your 'relics' were tiny, small enough not to overbalance the game but big enough that you would want to keep them. The equipment and fun available in the 'Darkness Falls' dungeon, that was accessed by having a majority of the available keeps controlled, was worth it but again not too unbalancing overall play. You didn't need it but it was certainly nice, especially as it opened up more end game raids. So if players wanted to do a PVE raid, they would also need to participate in PVP to help capture keeps etc.

It created a cycled where both communities worked together for the good of their realm, and this was hugely successful in keeping the end game meaningful and FUN for its players.

Presently the endgame is a tireless treadmill, especially for new players, of getting beat up for weeks and weeks hoping someday you'll be able to do the beating up. Nothing is ever really achieved except new pieces of gear and so it becomes a competition against your fellow players and damages community.

terzappi
09.29.2012 , 08:41 AM | #18
We all want World PVP but Bioware doesn't care.

NemesisSupreme
09.29.2012 , 09:36 AM | #19
This is a great Idea. I never played DAoC, but I did play WAR, and it was the same basic structure (Mythic PvP). This is the kind of thing that keeps endgame interesting, and as the game continues to expand, more of these planetary systems could be "discovered". So you end up with lvl 50, 55, 60 world PvP zones.

NinjaApacHe
09.29.2012 , 09:42 AM | #20
/Signed. RvR, or WvW, is what helps out a community to grow up. I'm a pvper but I must admit that most of pvpers are kids from 12 to 16 spamming in chat rudely, with no goal in mind. For this reason PvE servers are growing bigger, exspecially RP servers. respect is everything.
RvR is something everyone can take part and be entartained.
The Kun Legacy - ToFN
TU'PAKH 60 SW/Mar - YACHIN 60 SI/Sin - A'SHARADD 60 SW/Jug- KAASDAR 60 IA/Op
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/NJDcyp