Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

BummerFTW
01.14.2013 , 03:41 PM | #391
Got it.

timboprod
01.16.2013 , 08:29 AM | #392
Only tested it on fleet due to time issues, but it works like a charm. 10 fps more then I had before.

Tork
01.16.2013 , 02:55 PM | #393
Just coming back to say that FPS have stabilised in the 50 -60FPS range on Ultra High settings (no AA but FXAA forced through drivers) and all hitching has gone.
I hadn't realised just how much hitching there was in this game until I used the RAMdisk, it is silky smooth now.

Cheers to all who worked on this project!

Quote: Originally Posted by Tork View Post
That didn't work.
Following the manual method though with the All-In-One batch file did the trick though. Once the batch is set up correctly and run to mount the ramdrive, then just launch ISBoxer as normal.

I got some odd performance though. Computer specs are in my sig.
I am currently on Taris and noticed that the frame rates nearly halved coming from Coruscant. I was dipping down to the 25s with the average of around 44FPS. There was significant hitching as well while runnign around, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to test the ramdrive.

I set a 6GB ramdrive to be safe. I have 16Gb so that still left me with around 4GB free after SWToR had loaded. I included the cache plus the following:
set AssetFile01=swtor_main_art_fx_1
set AssetFile02=swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1
set AssetFile03=swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1
set AssetFile04=swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1
set AssetFile05=swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1
set AssetFile06=swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1
set AssetFile07=swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1
set AssetFile08=swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1
set AssetFile09=swtor_main_art_weapon_1
set AssetFile10=swtor_main_area_taris_1
set AssetFile11=swtor_en-us_area_taris_1

I included the Taris files hoping it would speed up the Taris world.

What I found though is that my FPS was hovering around 30FPS with dips down to 17FPS. But the game felt much smoother than before. Very odd. Maybe the hitching was so bad that even a lower FPS is better than before.

I'll have a play around with the settings and maybe take out the Taris files and see if it gets better.

EDIT: sig doesn't seem to be showing up so here are comp specs:
Intel 3930k, Gigabyte G1.Assassin.2, 16GB RAM @ 2133MHZ, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB SSD, 2 x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB SLi, 3 x Dell U2412 monitors in portrait surround for 3880x1920 bezel adjusted resolution, 2 x 500GB HD Raid 0 for storage
Intel 3930k, Gigabyte G1.Assassin.2, 16GB RAM @ 2133MHZ, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB SSD, 2 x Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB SLi, 3 x Dell U2412 monitors in portrait surround for 3880x1920 bezel adjusted resolution, 2 x 500GB HD Raid 0 for storage

exca
01.19.2013 , 08:17 AM | #394
Just coming back to say that FPS have stabilised in the 50 -60FPS range on Ultra High settings (no AA but FXAA forced through drivers) and all hitching has gone.
I hadn't realised just how much hitching there was in this game until I used the RAMdisk, it is silky smooth now.

Cheers to all who worked on this project!
Unleashed should work the same as the batch mode. Did you got unleashed working?
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

exca
01.19.2013 , 08:19 AM | #395
Since I mostly quit the game and got less time for this. I won't answer questions that are already answered in the original post. Lazy people should gives their eyes a try.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

Tork
01.19.2013 , 03:43 PM | #396
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
Unleashed should work the same as the batch mode. Did you got unleashed working?
Yes, I am using the All In One batch file and Mount batch file.

Works really well!
Thank you very much Exca!

Stoofa
01.19.2013 , 08:14 PM | #397
From cherry-picking pages from this thread to read and looking at reports of loading times, phasing times, FPS expectations etc. I'm seeing figures more or less the same as running the game from SSD.
I have 2 SSD's in my machine - one for my OS/Applications and another for Games. So my whole SWTOR experience (OS included) is running from SSD.

Of course this option is cheaper, but the SSD option is far easier.

So if you're considering a new PC or a re-build, you've seen what kind of performance you can get so make sure you invest in SSD (even more so now the prices are so very sensible).

Tork
01.20.2013 , 02:12 PM | #398
My loading times were always great with the SSD (I have a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4).

The RAM Drive helped with loading art assets that was causing hitching (little jerks in the motion). I actually saw a small FPS drop from using the RAM drive but a much smoother performance overall.

DarthVitrial
01.22.2013 , 11:31 PM | #399
I actually saw a small FPS drop from using the RAM drive but a much smoother performance overall.
I actually noticed the same thing...went from 20fps to about 16, but performance seemed better.

Klarick
01.23.2013 , 12:20 AM | #400
I put this garbage on my computer and the wifes. Didnt do anything at alll.

Dont waste your time.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999