Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

Glorfins
11.27.2012 , 07:33 PM | #251
Okay, so I built a system in June, i5 3570k, EVGA 670 FTW, 8 GB of RAM, and yet I still got distinct lag (in animation, movement, etc.) fps maxed out around 70 when looking at the ground (fantastic, eh?), more like unsteady 30 on fleet. This is with maxed settings except for shadows. I really don't get why this game doesn't utilize my computer's specs, as it should be a beast by all rights (the game being 32 bit seems outrageous).

Unleashed did help improve animation/movement lag. It also boosted fps on fleet by 10 or so (to 40), and got 110 fps looking at the ground. That said, I do get the same fps drop/fluctuation when moving (any movement, my toon or others, even with just a handful of players around).

Sitting still in Section X Imp base with 3 others in the base, there's a constant fluctuation between 45-55 fps. The program did help with animation lag, so thanks! Just wish my computer was utilized more.

Edit: I also have an Corsair 120gb SSD. No improvement with load times, minor fps gains. What's most noticeable with Unleashed is less animation delay and lag (eg. mounting speeder).

Sziroten
11.28.2012 , 09:13 AM | #252
For not being someone who actually understands everything written in the starting post.... still wanting to improve my game performance with an Alienware M17x R4 with constant FPS drops anywhere (PvP/ PvE), I hope my "problem" is just based on my poor computer knowledge.

I downloaded ImDisk and installed it. I have now a Local Disk (R

When I try to double click it I get an error message telling me
Quote:
refers to a location that is unavailable

What am I doing wrong?

GlassToTheArson
11.28.2012 , 09:18 AM | #253
Dear God that hurt my brain

Psirebral
11.28.2012 , 10:03 AM | #254
Under the assets section in settings, which ones apply to the warzones. This may be a bit vague but I was hoping to increase performance in WZs.

Sobai
11.28.2012 , 10:38 AM | #255
Basically, Ram > Hard-drive in speed. As mentioned in the original post and bizarrely named the "SWAP phenomenon", when you have no more memory (ram) to address and use to cache commonly accessed files, Windows falls back to the swap file on your hard-drive which it uses like RAM. Of course, as mentioned, this is much, much slower. Hence using this forces SWTOR to keep the asset file in ram at all times, rather than constantly loading and unloading it, increasing performance.

At least, that's what I get from reading the first 3 posts.

Seems legit and viable.

However, don't bother with the DirectX9 runtimes. This "emulation" theory is an utter myth.
Relyn - Jedi Sentinel (50), Gorii - Commando (31)
Sobai - Sith Juggernaut (50), Zarial - Sith Sorcerer (35)

The Red Eclipse EU | <RMW> | <Senate Special Order>

Paskem
11.28.2012 , 10:56 AM | #256
Because I have only 4 Gb of RAM I am unable to use your improvements.

But that doesnt mean I do not support your great effort and good work so far.

So let me just say - Thank you good Sir. You are a tribute to community.

funkiestj
11.28.2012 , 01:40 PM | #257
Quote: Originally Posted by Psirebral View Post
Under the assets section in settings, which ones apply to the warzones. This may be a bit vague but I was hoping to increase performance in WZs.
+1. I'd love to be sure that all my WZ assets are on the RAM drive.

P.S. I'm currently using unleashed on 2 PCs (mine and my wife's) and I love it. Kudos to all the creators / contributors.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

exca
11.28.2012 , 01:50 PM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
+1. I'd love to be sure that all my WZ assets are on the RAM drive.

P.S. I'm currently using unleashed on 2 PCs (mine and my wife's) and I love it. Kudos to all the creators / contributors.
Warzones are mentionned in a "spoiler" button in the first post.
Also if you'd like to speed up loading times for warzones, give a try to readyboost in addition. (or to a readyboost like ram software if you have loads of ram, such as AMD's freeware one). It might also help a little unleashed, since it auto detects frequently used little files and cache them. It's limited to 4Gb though, and doesn't speed the first load of data and will cost you a bit of cpu power as a tradeof.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

exca
11.28.2012 , 01:51 PM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by Sziroten View Post
For not being someone who actually understands everything written in the starting post.... still wanting to improve my game performance with an Alienware M17x R4 with constant FPS drops anywhere (PvP/ PvE), I hope my "problem" is just based on my poor computer knowledge.

I downloaded ImDisk and installed it. I have now a Local Disk (R

When I try to double click it I get an error message telling me .

What am I doing wrong?
I can't help unless you give me more details. Such as what your PC is, which OS you run, and what have you exactly done?
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis

exca
11.28.2012 , 03:04 PM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVitrial View Post
OK, still getting the error. There are 4396 new instances of it in the event log in the past 24 hours.
Full details:
Spoiler

As for the second error:
Spoiler
What are your computer and OS? What did you do exactly? Where do you see/get this error?