Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

deadandburied
10.09.2012 , 05:00 PM | #111
My computer info first.

Win7 64bit, Intel 2600k cpu, 2 nvidia 560ti's running in SLI mode, 8gb ram. 4 1tb black edition hard drives in Raid 10 for 2tb's total with a 64gb ssd cache drive. All graphics settings maxxed.

I found with using Unleashed it was best to be minimalistic. First disabling virtual ram was required. Tried with and without. I typically don't use VR anyways. Unleashed would crash the game if i had no free ram left over. And i mean free as reported by the resource monitor. My standbye ram usuage was about 2.5gb. So best settings for me was using the following.

diskcacharena checked
localapp checked
FX checked
100mb additional ram checked

FYI my framerate was already pretty good before trying unleashed. Lowest i ever see is quick dip to 30fps while on my speeder on fleet passing a very huge croud. Otherwise it's a smooth 60-110fps. However with the above settings i'm getting between a 5-10% fps increase on average. Has not helped minimal fps btw. However the game does run smoother.

While the initial starting of unleashed is a few seconds more than retail the load times from character select screen to in game is quite a bit lower. So overall total load time to in game and playing is decreased. 12 seconds from character select screen to fleet is quite nice for example.

I'd say try unleasehed and play with the settings til you find a happy medium like i did.

exca
10.09.2012 , 05:05 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by HiddenPalm View Post
This looks really promising. I have a question or two as this is the first time I'm seeing this.

Can I install "SWTOR Unleashed" in my second hdd, rather than my main C drive where my programs and SWTOR is installed? If it's ok, will it effect performance?

And is this the equivalent to partitioning a disk? In other words am I partitioning 7gb for this game? This is the first time I'm hearing about this term "ramdisk".

I'm really excited about this, I have been having problems with putting my in game graphic settings for grass and trees. When ever I am in a planet with allot of grass and trees, I have to lower my graphic settings or turn off shadowing. I prefer the shadow settings. I'm hoping SWTOR-U can help alleviate this problem without me having to buy a 3gb video card.
1- you can but it won't be faster, it'll be the same.
2- no, it's creating a fake hard drive in your RAM (ramdom access memory), not on your hard drive.
3- it will certainly help
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

exca
10.09.2012 , 05:06 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
can we get an update on the asset files associated with things like:

warzones,
nightmare pilgrim images animations, effects
operation images, affaect, animations etc.
fleet
You'll have to find out yourself if the first post isn't enough (you have some infos in a SPOILER button you have to click there). I'm relying on you people to give me this information.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis

exca
10.09.2012 , 05:10 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by deadandburied View Post
My computer info first.

Win7 64bit, Intel 2600k cpu, 2 nvidia 560ti's running in SLI mode, 8gb ram. All graphic settings maxxed.

I found with using Unleashed it was best to be minimalistic. First disabling virtual ram was required. Tried with and without. I typically don't use VR anyways. Unleashed would crash the game if i had no free ram left over. And i mean free as reported by the resource monitor. My standbye ram usuage was about 2.5gb. So best settings for me was using the following.

diskcacharena checked
localapp checked
FX checked
100mb additional ram checked

FYI my framerate was already pretty good before trying unleashed. Lowest i ever see is quick dip to 30fps while on my speeder on fleet passing a huge croud. Otherwise it's a smooth 60-110fps. However with the above settings i'm getting between a 5-10% fps increase on average. Has not helped minimal fps btw. However the game does run smoother.

While the initial starting of unleashed is a few seconds more than retail the load times from character select screen to in game is quite a bit lower. So overall total load time to in game and playing is decreased. 12 seconds from character select screen to fleet is quite nice for example.

I'd say try unleasehed and play with the settings til you find a happy medium like i did.
I think you'll get far better performance with dynamic also checked. You crash because you disable the windows virtual memory. I don't recommend this. Leave it enabled. And make sure you don't have a lot of junk running in the background (firefox is a heavy ram consumer for example). Then try with dynamic again if you can lower the windows + background softwares total usage to 1GB or less.

deadandburied
10.09.2012 , 05:20 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
I think you'll get far better performance with dynamic also checked. You crash because you disable the windows virtual memory. I don't recommend this. Leave it enabled. And make sure you don't have a lot of junk running in the background (firefox is a heavy ram consumer for example). Then try with dynamic again if you can lower the windows + background softwares total usage to 1GB or less.
Tried that and 50 other things and performance decreased. I'll stick with my settings thank you. This is a gaming rig so i already have a selective start. Meaning i already have quite a few unneeded proccesses removed. I don't use firefox as it's a ram hog. Nor do i have other needless stuff running in the background. Now why would i want the 2 swtor.exe files running off of a disk instead of my memory? Leaving virtual memory on would defeat the whole intent of unleashed.

Kyuuu
10.10.2012 , 10:21 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
1- you can but it won't be faster, it'll be the same.
2- no, it's creating a fake hard drive in your RAM (ramdom access memory), not on your hard drive.
3- it will certainly help
So this is all being done in my ram and its not take space from my SSD or HDD in anyway with that partion?

NinjaApacHe
10.10.2012 , 10:31 AM | #117
I do not know what mistakes I'm doing, but it's not working for me.
The Kun Legacy - ToFN
TU'PAKH 50 SW/Mar - YACHIN 50 SI/Sin - RAKH'DAH 50 SW/Jug- KAASDAR 50 IA/Op

Kyuuu
10.10.2012 , 10:44 AM | #118
well i gave this a try, after it crashing to desktop a few times I got it work, so very lil change in performance, which wasnt enough to warrant using a ram disk.

bravotwentysev
10.10.2012 , 10:49 AM | #119
Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.

Kyuuu
10.10.2012 , 11:00 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by bravotwentysev View Post
Not knocking this app/feature an such but all these people with SSD drives doing this why didnt you invest is more memory instead or a 64bit OS?

Plus you know this will degrade you SSD drive faster.
It dont touch the SSD or HDD all the data is put in to ram, This is verified by look at task-manger performance tab. Your ram usage spikes up before the game is even started.

Haveing more ram and or a SSD is moot point for the game anyway, it is very poorly optimized, and heavily compressed which make the poor optimizing in the game look that much worse. Mean while every other game I play that looks way better has better framerates and better min framerate then this game. If that dont scream bad programing/optimizing I dont know what does.

This might help some people but for me it did not for my problem is my min framerate tanked since 1.4 before 1.4 everything was on fine on high minus shadows. Now its studdering mess, With Frameskipping out the *** and min framerates that drop in them low 20's when it never did any of that before 1.3