Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stealth Scan Kind of Sucks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Stealth Scan Kind of Sucks

NoTomorrow
09.06.2012 , 11:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
It has such a large AOE that I'm going to have to assume that either your reaction time isn't quick enough, and possibly because it's not key bound.

I'm in a pretty sarcastic mood today but I'm being very serious here... if I SEE a stealther, stealth out. I'd say my success rate in catching him with the scan is probably close to 80%, and that's on the humble end.

It's also nice to have while guarding a node... that success rate is much lower since the enemy can see it but it serves it's purpose.

Personally I think it works quite well.
stun, cloak, here you go, i am out before you can even use the stealth scan.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Exilim
09.06.2012 , 11:31 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by unixbomber View Post
A bit of advice, I would personally suggest saving stealth scan for when classes use their skills trying to escape instead of trying to initially detect them; it makes a world of difference.
meh the cooldown is only like 20s or whatever. I say spam that crap.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running

UGLYMRJ
09.06.2012 , 11:37 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
stun, cloak, here you go, i am out before you can even use the stealth scan.
You know why these arguments make no sense? This can go on for days like a game of chess and none of it is relevant to how it actually plays out in a war zone.

CC break, stealth scan. Found you.

Your move.

TheronFett
09.06.2012 , 11:43 AM | #14
Patch 1.4 lower CD on force cloak and cloaking screen will make it even more ridiculous. Force Shroud and Evasion removing all type of dots makes it even more easy for stealthers to pick the fights stacked in their favor.

Currently there is no such thing as stealth balance in SWTOR. It is completely tailored in favor of stealth classes that have complete freedom in choosing their fights.
Pssst...allow me to let you in on a little secret: That's what the entire stealth classes are balanced around. Just thought you should know, since everyone else already does.

XyriusSES
09.06.2012 , 12:20 PM | #15
I wish stealth scan sucked.

cycao
09.06.2012 , 12:26 PM | #16
Stealth scan should have a 50m radius and the area should be effected for at least 20 seconds...

...honestly it is working as intended these classes apart from the tanking spec rely on stealth.

oredith
09.06.2012 , 12:49 PM | #17
problem with stealth scan is that it's visible to the opposition - making it worthless as a defensive tool, and only useful as a reactive tool against assassin / operative / marauders when you're engaged mid combat.
(╯°□°)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

SajPl
09.06.2012 , 02:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoRinTinTin View Post
Stealth scan is handy for the stealth killers in EC, but in PVP it's hit or miss, but 99% of the time is a miss because you can barely ever hit anything. The only time it's really useful is if a sage next to me wants to screw around and use noble sacrifice to pad his stats. It may work as a deterrent, but I'm not too confident about that.

Stealth scan should at least stun the stealther if you manage to hit one.
9/10 times i will uncloak a cloaker trying to run away from me if i suspect said cloaker of using a speed buff in cloak i try to guess which way said cloaker will go.
tip : hothey it, clicking will not cut it.

Stealth scan is an awesome ability and is perfectly fine.

TheronFett
09.06.2012 , 02:48 PM | #19
Stealth Scan is an intuitive ability. You either know when and how to use it, or you don't. I have both an Operative and a Bounty Hunter, so I see both uses of this tool.

As a BH:
There are a lot of stupid stealthers out there. Stealth makes one difficult to detect, not impossible to detect. There is a difference. I would say that there is a 10m circle surrounding your character where it is possible to see someone in stealth, especially if they are moving. A lot of times you can pop them out of stealth with a quick tab target and auto attack. If they disappear, using Stealth Scan in the direction they were moving will always detect them. Always.

As an Operative:
A lot of players just use Stealth Scan incorrectly. Our favorite targets are solo node guards, as many will spam Stealth Scan around the door bomb area in Voidstar or directly on the turret in Civil War. Dumb move. A smart stealther will either wait it out or hit you with a Sleep Dart, then a Flash Bang and cap while you stand there helpless to do anything about it.

Point being, Stealth Scan should be used proactively when a stealther is known to be in the area. If you're just using it randomly as a detection tool, you're going to get owned. Stealth classes are designed to pick their own fights and have the upper hand going into it.

Metalmac
09.06.2012 , 02:54 PM | #20
The stealth busting mechanics needs a complete rework in SWTOR. Right now it's a complete joke with abilities like sneak giving +10 stealth against stealth detection.

Patch 1.4 lower CD on force cloak and cloaking screen will make it even more ridiculous. Force Shroud and Evasion removing all type of dots makes it even more easy for stealthers to pick the fights stacked in their favor.

Currently there is no such thing as stealth balance in SWTOR. It is completely tailored in favor of stealth classes that have complete freedom in choosing their fights.

Sleeping dart and Mind trap is another ridiculous thing that makes the life of stealthers even easier than it should be.

You'd think, that with all these massive advantages, there should be a class that could reliably pull these freaks out of stealth, but no..
Once out of stealth my survival is very low. Maybe you forgot this little nugget of data.