Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stealth Scan Kind of Sucks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Stealth Scan Kind of Sucks

NeoRinTinTin
09.06.2012 , 10:30 AM | #1
Stealth scan is handy for the stealth killers in EC, but in PVP it's hit or miss, but 99% of the time is a miss because you can barely ever hit anything. The only time it's really useful is if a sage next to me wants to screw around and use noble sacrifice to pad his stats. It may work as a deterrent, but I'm not too confident about that.

Stealth scan should at least stun the stealther if you manage to hit one.
Canderous Ordo
Commando Rìn (PVE / PVP)

NoTomorrow
09.06.2012 , 10:58 AM | #2
The stealth busting mechanics needs a complete rework in SWTOR. Right now it's a complete joke with abilities like sneak giving +10 stealth against stealth detection.

Patch 1.4 lower CD on force cloak and cloaking screen will make it even more ridiculous. Force Shroud and Evasion removing all type of dots makes it even more easy for stealthers to pick the fights stacked in their favor.

Currently there is no such thing as stealth balance in SWTOR. It is completely tailored in favor of stealth classes that have complete freedom in choosing their fights.

Sleeping dart and Mind trap is another ridiculous thing that makes the life of stealthers even easier than it should be.

You'd think, that with all these massive advantages, there should be a class that could reliably pull these freaks out of stealth, but no..
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

UGLYMRJ
09.06.2012 , 11:03 AM | #3
I actually think it works quite well as is... actually has a larger radius than what is shown in game. Quick reaction time on the move pretty much screws any stealth class from escaping a fight or attacking from stealth.

I'm going to be the first one to say it...

Working as intended.

Cybridwarform
09.06.2012 , 11:06 AM | #4
I love randomly dropping it as soon as its off CD while guarding a node, its like playing wack a mole.

The one thing i do agree is that it has next to 0 use except to break force cloak but u have to be speedy with the fingers and dropping it. Outside of breaking incombat stealth i don't use it for anything else short of advertising to stealthies:

Hey! you better move in something other than a straight line to come get to me otherwise i might see u!

I do wish i could get the tank specced stealth scan without having to spec deep into tanking. it but thats not for me to decide.

NoTomorrow
09.06.2012 , 11:07 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
I actually think it works quite well as is... i detects stealth and actually has a larger radius than what is shown in game. Quick reaction time on the move pretty much screws any stealth class from escaping a fight or attacking from stealth.

I'm going to be the first one to say it...

Working as intended.
It's not hard as a stealther to predict where the stealth scan will go. Moving unpredictable is quite easy. If you simply follow the principle of not going in the same direction you used to when you were visible, it's already a more than 75% chance that you will not be busted.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Jherad
09.06.2012 , 11:07 AM | #6
Yeah, stealth scan is fantastic in PvP. One good tool in our (rapidly diminishing) toolbox for dealing with DPS Ops, Sins and even Marauders.

Nothing quite like anticipating when a stealther is going to vanish, and popping them right back out again. It takes practice and quick reflexes (bind it to an easily accessible key) but once you have it down, it is great.

Edit: Yeah, you're not going to catch anyone sneaking up on you with it. Its primary use in PvP is for exposing someone who has JUST stealthed.
Zacharïah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

UGLYMRJ
09.06.2012 , 11:14 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
It's not hard as a stealther to predict where the stealth scan will go. Moving unpredictable is quite easy. If you simply follow the principle of not going in the same direction you used to when you were visible, it's already a more than 75% chance that you will not be busted.
It has such a large AOE that I'm going to have to assume that either your reaction time isn't quick enough, and possibly because it's not key bound.

I'm in a pretty sarcastic mood today but I'm being very serious here... if I SEE a stealther, stealth out. I'd say my success rate in catching him with the scan is probably close to 80%, and that's on the humble end.

It's also nice to have while guarding a node... that success rate is much lower since the enemy can see it but it serves it's purpose.

Personally I think it works quite well.

unixbomber
09.06.2012 , 11:16 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoRinTinTin View Post
Stealth scan is handy for the stealth killers in EC, but in PVP it's hit or miss, but 99% of the time is a miss because you can barely ever hit anything. The only time it's really useful is if a sage next to me wants to screw around and use noble sacrifice to pad his stats. It may work as a deterrent, but I'm not too confident about that.
A bit of advice, I would personally suggest saving stealth scan for when classes use their skills trying to escape instead of trying to initially detect them; it makes a world of difference.

UncleOst
09.06.2012 , 11:17 AM | #9
What?

Stealth detection works just fine.

Keybind that crap. I'll be fighting a stealther, they'll pop combat stealth ability, and as soon as they do I have my stealth aoe probes catching them almost everytime. You have to use intuition but the faster you get it out the easier it is to snag em.
Nerf Sleep darts and Mind control mezz?
We'll have to see how it all plays out with the resolve re-vamp but otherwise...
Sounds like qq.

Jenzali
09.06.2012 , 11:23 AM | #10
Drop it on a Sentinel/Shadow/Scoundrel when you think they are about to Vanish.

Stealth scan is one of the best abilities in the game. If you've played as a stealther, with enough experience you can often guess which paths they will use to get the jump on you. If they don't have their opening move like Shoot First because you pulled them out of stealth then you are at a huge advantage.

Hotkey it and embrace your god-mode vs. Stealth classes.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.