Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire and your personal Morality

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire and your personal Morality

Nydus
11.07.2012 , 11:07 AM | #41
I'm not sure any of the characters I play really match my personal "morality". I try to get into character.

My sorcerer is a reformist trying to prove himself against (and co-opt) a hostile establishment. He does not like to look weak so will make DS choices when interacting with other Sith but will often go LS when operating alone, especially if the DS choice is needless and of no direct impact to the goal at hand. As a Darth, he is exceptionally harsh towards his fellow Sith but takes a more "nuanced approach" to his subordinates, and civilians.

My shadow is a goodie two-shoes who is overwhelmingly LS. He has become a bit disillusioned with the republic since Belsavis, making his first DS choices there to protect the republic. Since then he gets openly angry with people asking him to make tough moral choices that could have been avoided had people done their bloody jobs.

My Operative is... I don't know. She's become disillusioned with Imperial Intelligence for various spoiler related reasons, but remains a "Loyalist" in the sense that she holds the Sith in exceptionally high regard (she will essentially do what any Sith tells her to do without question). She is unforgiving to anyone that stands in the way of her objective, but won't randomly hurt people for no reason.

My Jedi Guardian is a complete jerk. Quite amusing to play. I decided I would just choose the DS option no matter what to see how the story line reacts. He is mercenary, anti-authority, greedy, and demanding of his support.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Cross_Fade
11.09.2012 , 10:07 AM | #42
On republic and Imp players I just do what I would in those situations. Betray me, and I'll cut ya down.

If you deserve to live, it depends on my mood really. Kill 'em all and let the force sort em out :P

BA-CannonFodder
11.09.2012 , 11:51 AM | #43
That is the problem I have with the LS/DS system - there's no real incentive to be neutral or use a mix of LS/DS. The good thing though is that you can have some variety and still have max LS/DS, and most gear doesn't require LS/DS.

JediMarneus
11.09.2012 , 02:37 PM | #44
I mostly go Light Side, but there are times where the LS path is something I simply cannot agree with.
Spoiler

Haven't played much of the Empire yet, but my Pureblood is well on the path to being honorable in battle and conserving whelps that may be assets, but in everything else, Sith Code is alive and well. Still neutral, but leaning more to Dark.
One rather funny thing about him is, I treat slaves who do as their masters asked nicely. Since Vette is always complaining or cracking out of place jokes, I verily enjoy teaching her how to be a good slave. And that's what the shock collar is for

Gaeriel_Averrod
11.10.2012 , 11:16 PM | #45
I will say that I object to many of the main objectives of just random quests on the imp side--when the dark side option is to kill an innocent and the light side is to take them back to the empire so they can be tortured and their people exterminated...yeah. That kind of thing gets to me. I was playing an agent who is "something of a patriot", trying to make someone honorable in war--but there was no motivation for her to stay. What she *really* would have done after seeing the realities of what the empire was doing was defect, but as you cannot change factions she's pretty much been rotting on Tattooine while I run around as a Jedi.

Though, I will say that there are some things on the Republic side that leave me scratching my head too--it feels a little silly for a Jedi so get all holier than thou about killing prisoners--directly after slaughtering dozens of his lackeys without batting an eyelash.

Tatile
11.11.2012 , 04:45 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaeriel_Averrod View Post
What she *really* would have done after seeing the realities of what the empire was doing was defect, but as you cannot change factions she's pretty much been rotting on Tattooine while I run around as a Jedi.
Agent spoilers:
Spoiler

^That is, assuming that you don't already know the IA line.

Gaeriel_Averrod
11.11.2012 , 01:20 PM | #47
Didn't look at the spoiler, but the tag has me thinking that maybe it's time to go back and finish out the IA storyline.

Darthwolfin
11.11.2012 , 01:34 PM | #48
My main chars are empire. A warrior and a Agent. I have to say some of the dark side decisions just don't help the empire as a whole. Also I find that some of the light side choices are more evil in the long run then the dark side choices.

revansowns
11.11.2012 , 04:28 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by venomlash View Post
My main is a Commando, so I rolled a Mercenary during the stress-test beta to get a feel for the gameplay without spoiling the story. I quickly became sick of the stuff I was being forced to do; I realized that you don't have the option to be a good guy in the Empire, but only a slightly less disgustingly evil guy. Since launch, I haven't rolled a single Imp.
I disagree, my Sorcerer and Sniper are quite the nice guys
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 55 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 52 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 52 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 50 Jedi Shadow Ikorath - Level 50 Sith Marauder Araxxo - Level 13 Powertech Tegldef -Level 36 Scoundrel

masterleonidas
11.12.2012 , 10:09 AM | #50
well, on my Sith juggernaut, I try to be dark. But, being the efficient and logical person I am, there are some choices I just couldn't do dark. Not just because they were plain wrong(which is always a factor), but because they are just less efficient. So sometimes I make light side choices just because the dark side choice would be bad for the empire. I'm more loyal to my faction than myself. And other times I just can't bring myself to kill a bunch of defenseless children ( though I have).

For my Jedi, though, it's all good. I like being light side on a toon that's supposed to be light, and the light side is closer to my personality. Usually the light side choices are better for the republic, so I choose those. But when the dark side choice is better for the republic, I just can't bring myself to go dark on a Jedi, unless It's a romance, which I will gladly choose dark for any day