Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Resolve changes - are you even listening?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Resolve changes - are you even listening?

Ronxz
09.04.2012 , 02:10 PM | #1
Greetings. So I, as many others, have probably read the changes coming to resolve in the recently released developer blog. And, since Mr. Peckenpaugh, was so kind as to explain to us the goal and the result of the changes coming I wanted to point out developers are very out of touch with player demands with their changes to the pvp system.

Players have been complaining that all PvP is right now is a giant stun fest. You basically walk in, get spammed with stuns, have a single get out of stun free ability on a very long 2 minute cooldown, and are immediately restunned shortly there after with your one ability on cooldown. Every class has multiple stuns on much shorter cooldowns than said free ability.

In effect what you are doing, Mr. Peckenpaugh, is making this entire situation much much much worse. At least before if I am a ball carrier I could hope to get full resolve and then use my 2 minute cooldown to escape while on the fire trap before being killed after being grappled from 30 meters away and stunned immediately or being hit by a long range stun or simply being rooted (since that is not a CC and is not affected by resolve, but, hey, it can kill me when snipers and sorcs use it just as easily without any penalities unlike their stun/mez)

In effect your wonderful change now makes it so I will be stunned longer, easier, and with less change to use my single, 2 minute cooldown, to escape. I will expect to be stunned more, with less ways out, and it will make huttball drag on much longer. I will be stuck taking damage without a way to respond. Unless you are going to make it so damage actually breaks stuns this change will simply make PvP less enjoyable.

Yes, it might be annoying when a PuG slaps 3-4 stuns on a ball carrier and they get full resolve or a marauder gets full resolve and goes off destroying everything but maybe there is another way to fix this without breaking resolve further:

Why not look at WHY marauders are obliterating all the other classes? Why not consider the complaints and see about changing the way huttball is played? Where is the change to resolve to break CCs upon completely filling? Where is the response to the marauder/sent large number of defensive CCs without any penalty? Where is the response to the marauders have been force cloak than assassins? Why aren't we seeing changes to balance melee and ranged DPS? What about having grapple at a 30 meter range in huttball and being pulled into fire traps from half the map away right as you are about to score?

Rather than fix these issues that would help make pvp better you are focusing on things which only make it more painful. Please, reconsider this, think about what we've complained about and what we want. We want less stuns, we want more fighting, but your change simply gives us more stuns and less fighting.

It will not be fun to walk into a warzone and expect to be stunned for the entire fight.
-Ronxz
"In Pace Decus, In Bello Praesidium"
Guildleader of Anthology, High Priest of the Bacon, Godfather of Middle-Earth, and Sith Overlord.

Technohic
09.04.2012 , 02:11 PM | #2
If that entire TLDR thing is really "You made resolve fill up slower which is the OPPOSITE of what people wanted" then I agree.

Darth_Philar
09.04.2012 , 02:16 PM | #3
If they tripled the Endurance stats on all level 50 gear then all of your problems with Resolve would vanish, do you know why?

Because you would actually live long enough to use it.

Currently, damage has increased at a much faster rate than health has, leading to a very short TTK (Time To Kill). This creates a large incentive to back big burst classes that can quickly burn down foes within the duration of a stun or two. If you increase the health pools by a large enough amount, then the percentage of health lost during a burst would go down. This means that stuns would be used primarily against healers instead of everyone else allowing healers to gain Resolve Immunity and everyone else to avoid being stunned at all.
Server: The Fatman
Philar - Corruption Sorcerer - Level 50 | Satarel - Rage Marauder - Level 50
Geheime - Concealment Operative - Level 20 | Zahhak - Arsenal Mercenary - Level 17

TheronFett
09.04.2012 , 02:19 PM | #4
Hey. Get that kind of common sense talk out of here right now. There's no need for it on the PvP forums.

TUXs
09.04.2012 , 02:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
If that entire TLDR thing is really "You made resolve fill up slower which is the OPPOSITE of what people wanted" then I agree.
Me too
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

criminalheretic
09.04.2012 , 02:46 PM | #6
I would just like Resolve to work. Like I never want to see my resolve bar going down again WHILE I am stunned again.

I even filed two tickets for it this weekend. The first I got a live agent chat, and he told me it was a bug they were working on. The second time I got an e-mail saying "this is working as intended".

Working as intended? If you can see your resolve go down WHILE you are stunned it means one of two things.

Either your resolve was already full, yet you still got stunned. Or it was not full yet, and got filled and started going away all within the span of one stun.

Actually as I am typing this, the new change might actually fix that. What I theorize was happening was that your resolve wasn't full, you get stunned it fills up, while you are stunned someone hits you with a second stun, resolve "saves" you from this stun and starts going away, but you never notice because you are still under the effects of the first one that filled it.

We'll see I guess.

Edit: And good job to the OP on the cleverly disguised nerf maras post.
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger

SyphonSith
09.04.2012 , 02:47 PM | #7
This can actually be a positive thing for PUG groups in Huttball. So many times I've seen a group be constantly rolled over by an organized group because the ball carrier is immune to everything and easily walks the ball into the endzone, due to the fact that so many un-organized or un-aware PUG players were throwing premature stuns, CC's, etc filling the carriers resolve ( making it nearly impossible to stop the carrier ),

PoliteAssasin
09.04.2012 , 03:47 PM | #8
More time being stunned. What's not to love right? I mean rather than having Pugs learn to play, we now get to ha e coordinated teams effectively stunlock players through coordination. Well done Bioware.

randalthorr
09.04.2012 , 04:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Philar View Post
If they tripled the Endurance stats on all level 50 gear then all of your problems with Resolve would vanish, do you know why?

Because you would actually live long enough to use it.

Currently, damage has increased at a much faster rate than health has, leading to a very short TTK (Time To Kill). This creates a large incentive to back big burst classes that can quickly burn down foes within the duration of a stun or two. If you increase the health pools by a large enough amount, then the percentage of health lost during a burst would go down. This means that stuns would be used primarily against healers instead of everyone else allowing healers to gain Resolve Immunity and everyone else to avoid being stunned at all.
Not to mention the new tier of pvp gear on the way. We'll see TTK drop further. Unless they made endurance a base stat for all pvp gear and boosted the crap out of it.
“Equality is a chain, like obedience. Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt.”
-Darth Bane

Red-Zone Australia

ArchangelLBC
09.04.2012 , 04:13 PM | #10
Changes to Merc/Commando also show he isn't listening.

Stun break should be reduced to at least a 1m cooldown. Overall pretty underwhelmed with the proposed changes except that I might actually try out Infiltration on my shadow now.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd