Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Code of the Grey Jedi

Aurbere
09.13.2012 , 07:56 PM | #181
Quote: Originally Posted by Lenlo View Post
It always seemed to me, in the old republic era, Grey Jedi were those lightsiders who knew they had flaws, then accepted and owned them. In theory they would strive to balance that minute taint with the wisdom of the Council and guidance of the force. At least in theory.

The whole idea is based on the canon of reality, that there is no Light without dark or the shadows in between. Lucas can't demand a world in black and white. Eventually there will be shades of grey.
There is no "in-between" when it comes to Jedi and Sith. Those who believe there is don't understand the corrupting nature of the Dark Side. The Dark Side is corrupting. Sidious' was so powerful in the Dark Side, his mere presence could taint Jedi and even turn them. The Dark Side corrupts all things. We have seen it before. Look at Felucia. After Shaak Ti's death, the planet and it's inhabitants were deformed and tainted with the Dark Side.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

DarkSolsticeX
10.25.2012 , 10:37 AM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by Aylisis View Post
Didn't Yoda say: "Once you start down the path, forever will it dominate your destiny" So in turn can you really go from dark to light? Anakin did, but where do you draw the line of gray?
As we've seen with Revan, you can switch from darkness to light, but that decision would not come lightly and you'd need a tremendously significant event to trigger it and the chances for that are not favorable.

I think that if someone who follows the light side decides that they can resist the dark side to the point that they master its use, and NOT be affected by it...they will ALWAYS fall into darkness. That is what happened to Revan, Malek, and Exar Kun even before that, as well as Freedom Nad. They all sought-out forbidden knowledge thinking that they could master it without it controlling THEM...and in the end...well, we all know the answer...

A light-side character cannot go dark without being consumed by darkness, so only someone who has fallen into darkness and turned to the light can master the powers of both light AND darkness (i.e. there is no other "middle-ground" other than being completely neutral like the Voss, there is no "gray-line").

I think that the true idea behind "grey jedi" is that they are warriors that have devoted themselves to maintaining balance between GOOD and EVIL, NOT meerly balance between light and dark. So, technically speaking, the Grey Jedi aren't somewhere BETWEEN light and dark, they're Warriors that are sworn to act as deter-rents against evil and to stand-up for what they believe is right.

Xatasha
10.25.2012 , 11:14 AM | #183
Aren't grey Jedi like twilight vampires?

MyDarkSunshine
10.25.2012 , 11:47 AM | #184
I always thought the term "grey Jedi" referred to Jedi that acted outside of The Council, or at least, deviated from its words, if not their spiritual meanings. Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn or Kyle Katarn (from what little I know of him). They're lightside users, and Jedi, but take a step back from the Order. A grey Jedi is simply a more maverick Jedi.

Alignment-wise, someone can have a grey morality, but it would be difficult to be a "grey" Force-user. The Force isn't something that you measure on a continuum, that is just a game mechanic introduced in RPGs. There are light side only Force powers, dark side only Force powers, and those accessible to both; but make no mistake, those accessible to both are not "grey", they're merely powers one could achieve through powerful, dark emotions (dark side) or through giving oneself to the Will of The Force (light side).

Certain Force users are capable of utilising both the light side and dark side if I'm not mistaken - pretty sure Kyle Katarn does this, and Revan is capable of it, but they're not "grey Force users", so much as Force users capable of using the dark side briefly without being entirely seduced by it (well, always seemed to end that way with Revan).

Sound about right?
"Who I am is not important- my message is." Revan

Aurbere
10.25.2012 , 11:56 AM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by MyDarkSunshine View Post
I always thought the term "grey Jedi" referred to Jedi that acted outside of The Council, or at least, deviated from its words, if not their spiritual meanings. Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn or Kyle Katarn (from what little I know of him). They're lightside users, and Jedi, but take a step back from the Order. A grey Jedi is simply a more maverick Jedi.

Alignment-wise, someone can have a grey morality, but it would be difficult to be a "grey" Force-user. The Force isn't something that you measure on a continuum, that is just a game mechanic introduced in RPGs. There are light side only Force powers, dark side only Force powers, and those accessible to both; but make no mistake, those accessible to both are not "grey", they're merely powers one could achieve through powerful, dark emotions (dark side) or through giving oneself to the Will of The Force (light side).

Certain Force users are capable of utilising both the light side and dark side if I'm not mistaken - pretty sure Kyle Katarn does this, and Revan is capable of it, but they're not "grey Force users", so much as Force users capable of using the dark side briefly without being entirely seduced by it (well, always seemed to end that way with Revan).

Sound about right?
^This. Just... this. Sums it up right there.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

BrianDavion
10.25.2012 , 12:32 PM | #186
Star Wars is about the Light side and the dark side (and even the term Light side appers only in the EU. ) there is no "grey side" useing the dark side inevitably corrupts, even reven was inevitably corrupted
Spoiler

Rayla_Felana
10.25.2012 , 12:33 PM | #187

Sound about right?
We have a winner.

DarkSolsticeX
12.08.2012 , 11:58 PM | #188

Sound about right?
I agree with this...

ZayneDraay
12.09.2012 , 12:47 PM | #189

Sound about right?
Wow, the first person that has hit the bullseye here in this thread. I here by dub you the LORD OF THE FORCE!!!
"Those who know me by reputation say I am a creature of the cold darkness, a monster if you will. Now you too shall fear me." - Darth Crios, lord of icy wrath

lokdron
12.09.2012 , 02:25 PM | #190

Sound about right?
This post needs to be treasured and saved.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!