Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why I hate 70% of Sith Players


Fetid's Avatar


Fetid
11.23.2012 , 03:04 PM | #61
As someone who frequently roleplays an Imperial Agent around Sith, I understand that it is extremely important to play the role as a subservient and obedient character who serves the true rulers of the Sith Empire. On the other hand, I do find myself frequently being annoyed by many people who swagger around with the title "Darth" yet do nothing to command the respect of others. The majority of the Sith population either use my agent as a punching bag to show how evil they are with no other reason, use my agent to fetch drinks from the cantina while they continue to socialise and bicker amongst their fellow Darth-socialites and some even treat my agent as a friend and an equal, trying to get him to refer to them by name and to "loosen up a little."

After enduring this for a long time, my opinion is that people should only use the title "Darth" or even "Lord" if they're willing to represent the characters to a degree of accuracy. A Darth is one of the highest ranking individuals in the Empire, what are your responsibilities? Who forms your power base? What allies do you have and what enemies do you have? If you are a Dark Lord of the Sith, what do you have to show it besides the fact that you've reached Level 50?

I'll continue playing my agent as I have: Obediently following the Sith so long as these orders don't conflict with those of other Sith or involve putting his health at risk for nonsensical reasons. My point still stands however, many of these Sith that my character has to follow are woefully inadequate and would have never left the Sith Academy on Korriban, let alone achieved the rank of Darth. It's a serious title that should only be given to Sith with serious power.

Inzuher's Avatar


Inzuher
11.23.2012 , 03:44 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Fetid View Post
As someone who frequently roleplays an Imperial Agent around Sith, I understand that it is extremely important to play the role as a subservient and obedient character who serves the true rulers of the Sith Empire. On the other hand, I do find myself frequently being annoyed by many people who swagger around with the title "Darth" yet do nothing to command the respect of others. The majority of the Sith population either use my agent as a punching bag to show how evil they are with no other reason, use my agent to fetch drinks from the cantina while they continue to socialise and bicker amongst their fellow Darth-socialites and some even treat my agent as a friend and an equal, trying to get him to refer to them by name and to "loosen up a little."

After enduring this for a long time, my opinion is that people should only use the title "Darth" or even "Lord" if they're willing to represent the characters to a degree of accuracy. A Darth is one of the highest ranking individuals in the Empire, what are your responsibilities? Who forms your power base? What allies do you have and what enemies do you have? If you are a Dark Lord of the Sith, what do you have to show it besides the fact that you've reached Level 50?

I'll continue playing my agent as I have: Obediently following the Sith so long as these orders don't conflict with those of other Sith or involve putting his health at risk for nonsensical reasons. My point still stands however, many of these Sith that my character has to follow are woefully inadequate and would have never left the Sith Academy on Korriban, let alone achieved the rank of Darth. It's a serious title that should only be given to Sith with serious power.
There I agree. I'm currently rping as a sith apprentice and try to build up my powerbase. Then later I will become a Lord and then a lot later I will claim the Darth title or have it granted to me. I will claim it if no one can stand in my way and oppose the claim like Darth Bane did, or I will claim if from doing something extra ordinary.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
11.23.2012 , 04:11 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Fetid View Post
As someone who frequently roleplays an Imperial Agent around Sith, I understand that it is extremely important to play the role as a subservient and obedient character who serves the true rulers of the Sith Empire. On the other hand, I do find myself frequently being annoyed by many people who swagger around with the title "Darth" yet do nothing to command the respect of others. The majority of the Sith population either use my agent as a punching bag to show how evil they are with no other reason, use my agent to fetch drinks from the cantina while they continue to socialise and bicker amongst their fellow Darth-socialites and some even treat my agent as a friend and an equal, trying to get him to refer to them by name and to "loosen up a little."

After enduring this for a long time, my opinion is that people should only use the title "Darth" or even "Lord" if they're willing to represent the characters to a degree of accuracy. A Darth is one of the highest ranking individuals in the Empire, what are your responsibilities? Who forms your power base? What allies do you have and what enemies do you have? If you are a Dark Lord of the Sith, what do you have to show it besides the fact that you've reached Level 50?

I'll continue playing my agent as I have: Obediently following the Sith so long as these orders don't conflict with those of other Sith or involve putting his health at risk for nonsensical reasons. My point still stands however, many of these Sith that my character has to follow are woefully inadequate and would have never left the Sith Academy on Korriban, let alone achieved the rank of Darth. It's a serious title that should only be given to Sith with serious power.
Well said.

enigmayshi's Avatar


enigmayshi
11.24.2012 , 12:52 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
I've had bounty hunters come up to me and have a conversation, and when Latula (my Sith) gently reminds them that they should follow proper Imperial protocol when addressing Sith, have refused to do so. A different sort of Sith might have Force-choked him for that. It's considered having proper manners.
.
Actually BHers are not part of the Sith Empire, they are merely being paid rather well for their services. They are not imperial citizens and thus are not subject to Imperial Protocol. BHers are known for not responding predictably to authoriy and it honestly makes perfect sense for a BHer player to rarely actually refer to a sith as "My Lord" or such because it is not inbred to the archetype.

Now I do not mean that a BHer should act really disrespectful or such around sith given they should know how dangerous Sith can be. But its VERY doubtful that the majority of BHers would actually be trying to keep up on their 'Imperial Protocol'
Hell there is that line the BHer character can state early on

"Just a reminder this is an imperial world, if we tweak the local authorities they can make life really hard."

And you CAN reply with

"I like tweaking with authority."

Hell Bioware themselves even describe them as "Its very much the man with the gun against the world."

TriggerBlade's Avatar


TriggerBlade
11.26.2012 , 09:55 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
Now I can understand you. some new sith rpers really don't know what i means to be sith, and a lot of experienced rpers don't either to be honest. However, don't judge everyone, since sith are one of the more popular things to rp, you will see more troll and noobs than other classes. I personally rp a sith, and yes I would force choke an alien or none force user who steps too much out of line, but I wouldn't punish them unless I had a good reason to. As you said siths have principles and isn't just mindless murders, many of them are in fact very intelligent beings, who dive into philosophy and other stuff.

I however have to comment on the following:



I liked your article all the way down to this, because you're simply wrong. Siths are the supreme overlord of the empire! This is not for debate it is simply fact. Therefore, don't decide to rp a none force user on the imperial side if you're not ready to get bossed around by the sith, because that is simply part of the role.

That said there are ofc limits to this. For instance you do not need to respect "Darth Superjedikiller" if his only reason for being a Darth is "That I'm freaking powerful and level 50." Because 1) I don't know what being a sith mean, and 2) He don't know how to rp if he thinks level is = your character's power.

However, if a character who rp a Darth or Lord can give you an IC explanation and referrer to earlier rp in which have earned his rank you better bow your neck, because otherwise this says more about your rp abilities than his.

If you need an example as to what happens when none force users don't bow their heads to a Lord or Darth simply read the "Revan" novel and see what happened to the mercs disrespecting Lord Scourge.
I get your point but as you've read I said "most" and I was talking about OOC respect mostly. "Most" of my characters hate Sith and refuse to respect them because those characters are not really members of the Empire. The members of the Empire either follow protocol to the letter or the ones that do dislike Sith releases his steam by insulting them in ways that go under the radar "I would never directly insult you M'lord." Though the same character would treat acolytes like **** because they are technically not Sith, just Sith in training. Acolytes are EXTREMELY expendable and are thought of as disposable so most people of higher ranks and don't care if I am a jerk to them and don't bother with me. I haven't gotten in trouble to this day for it. To Apprentices I have to tip toe around them, though their IC masters tend to enjoy me being rude to them one said "Well she IS an idiot, I get your point, hilarious as it may be, I doubt you should provoke her further." After that I stop my annoyances because a Lord asked me to. My bounty Hunter who is a Imperial Soldier ICly has even been asked to execute apprentices due to them being stupid. So yeah I know my limits, but "most" of my characters dislike Sith, but not in a way to get them killed.
You mad rakghoul?

TriggerBlade's Avatar


TriggerBlade
11.27.2012 , 08:52 AM | #66
I want to thank everyone who has commented on this post. Thanks to you I've been able to clarify my point more and explain things so they can be understood better.
You mad rakghoul?

Lustephelon's Avatar


Lustephelon
11.28.2012 , 11:50 AM | #67
Cause I just have to toss in an opinion:
but I will start with the facts. Since the transfers I have been on the ebon hawk; I have been RPing multiple Genre for more than 2 decades.

the less than facts: RPs tend to be what you make of them, there definately have been some less than intelligent choices made by PLAYERS in how they have attempted to play their role. They often try to incorporate the game storyline (yes i do it too sometimes). There are Sith that have stepped in and demand things, and especially with casual RPers they take the nameplates as instant introduction including the title. This isn't my personal view but what they do, mostly I try to go along with it.
neither my agent nor my BH will bow head just cause you did your time in the grind, however they will generally give a sarcastic mouthing of respect to those Sith who demand it. Its also a great reason to RP over on Nar Shaddaa where its not imperial territory.. sure they might hunt you down.. but most players won;t bother so you just go on. I think the OP vented his frustrations and thats cool, its done, I think the community rallied back and everyone including me got a chance to chime in...

conclusions:
some sith suck (the bad way), Some players need training in how to RP, some players blur the OOC/IC line(boy thats a whole set of topics) , Canon sith empire has some major issues that keep it fiction, because of the MMO part of the game RPing power levels really is difficult (way too many darth 50s, or too many chiefs not enough indians)

jockjammer's Avatar


jockjammer
12.04.2012 , 05:04 AM | #68
I have to admit that I have experienced or at least witnessed most of what the OP said on Ebon Hawk as well as on Sanctum prior to the merger. I ask myself if many of the players guilty of such are the same ones I knew on Sanctum with new chars. Anyway,enough about that. One thing I would like to present for your consideration concerning Sith RP that curdled my blood. I was once approached by a sith lord I had never met before who attempted to mind control my character to sleep with him. It was godmod whispered to me that his force persuasion was 100% effective and he then told me OOC this had been played out IC over time and was a well excepted fact on the server. Through later observation I did notice this char seemed to know many others and was well known. Force persuading a person to have sex with you is no different from slipping someone a roofie. It is called ****. When I refused to RP this he threatened me with death of character,insulted me,called me a bad RPer and otherwise ranted. This is an aspect of play that should NEVER be in any MMO. **** is not fun,funny, or good RP. It is in fact a good way to traumatise victims of said crime and abuse. BW never commented on my ticket which is absolutely sickining. Thankfully I have not seen that char for a long time and hopefully there was some disciplinary action taken. I under NO way wish to imply that all or even many Sith RPers are like this. It is just an extreme example of how some twisted players can abuse Sith powers.
UTINI!!!!

sgthorbath's Avatar


sgthorbath
12.04.2012 , 05:46 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by jockjammer View Post
When I refused to RP this he threatened me with death of character,insulted me,called me a bad RPer and otherwise ranted.
Sounds like your typical gorean master on another platform I play. Forcing certain types of RP on a person is wrong and approaching someone thinking they're okay with all aspects of RP is idiotic especially with material that has sexual themes. It would be great if they would let your character have a profile on here so you can lay out a story and some limits to what kind of RPing you will do.

TriggerBlade's Avatar


TriggerBlade
12.04.2012 , 11:25 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by jockjammer View Post
BW never commented on my ticket which is absolutely sickining.
Be thankful for Bioware. The thing that got me to cancel my subscription to World of Warcraft was that I and my guild was punished for opening a ticket against a larger guild. For similar reasons. That guild spread rumors to the point where people deleted level 85 toons or changed their names, some server transfers. Bliz banned some people's accounts. Bioware has been fair and kind to me. Bliz only cares about who gets them the most money and will be verbally(more like text since they refuse to speak by phone) abusive to their customers and punish us for bothering them.
You mad rakghoul?