Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Companions and Romance Speculation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Companions and Romance Speculation

TaoAlchemist
08.01.2012 , 11:59 AM | #1
Bioware has stated that they will release same-gender romance via new companions introduced later, but within a year of release. They also clarified that they will not change existing characters to become same gender romancable, so speculating about romancing existing companions of the same gender as your character would be pointless. We haven't heard anything new on that front, but I would like to speculate on these possible, new companions and, if Bioware is paying attention, express my desire for what types of new companions I would like to see.

Please don't clutter this thread with negative comments about how they will not be doing this for whatever reasons you might want to cite. This should be a thread for creativity and expressing our wants and desires regarding new companions to Bioware.

As I stated above, from what Bioware has previously stated regarding same gender romance we will be getting new companions to make those stories happen, which means that we should be getting a male and a female, presumably for each class. Obviously, this means they shouldn't be droids (that would be too weird and difficult to explain for romance IMHO). However, they might also make a male and female companion that any class can get just like they are with HK-51 or they might make a male and female for each faction, if not each class (which is obviously more ideal, but requires much more work to implement).

My thoughts are that these new companions should not just be strictly limited to being same gender romance options. Many SWTOR players have expressed frustration at their limited options for the romantic options (or lack there of) they already have. This would be a great opportunity to introduce a new choice for these players, as well as giving the same gender crowd what they want. For example, none of the female players have a choice about who to romance since their is only one male character available to romance per class and only three of the classes have two companions available for romance if you are a male character, leaving 5 classes without a choice if you want a romance at all. This is also a chance to add more humans or aliens to your party mix as needed for classes lacking such an option. For example, a lot of male Sith Inquisitors are unhappy that the only female they can romance is an alien, let alone the issues they have with Ashara's personality and/or story. So, I support making these new companions romancable by player characters of both genders.

I am going to stay away from addressing anything like human racial differences (asian, caucasion, etc.) for these companions as we can already see this type of thing is handled well with companion alterations available from vendors. We just need to have a couple of these for any new companions. Also, regarding some of the less-human-like alien companion species possibilities such as wookiees, rodians, or talz, I don't think they would work well as romancable companions for what I think are obvious reasons (I just can't comprehend kissing a rodian, let alone a talz with that staw-mouth-thing - I would rather kiss a wookiee...). As much as I would love to see a wookiee companion for another class besides the smuggler, I just don't want to see it as a romancable companion and that is what I am talking about here.

So, with all this in mind, I would propose the following as good choices for new companions or at least what I would like to see:

Bounty Hunter: has human (cyborg) female and human male as romantic options already, so I think this class should get an alien male and an alien female for romance. Any alien species would do as long as they are near-humans like the Chiss, Mirialan, Miraluka, Voss, Togruta, Twi'lek, etc. For the backgrounds of such characters we should probably get a force sensitive type of character since we don't really have one like that in the bounty hunter's group; perhaps a fugitive from the Korriban Academy would work well.

Imperial Agent: has an alien female, a human female, and an altered human male to romance. I would like to see an alien female and a very near-human alien type for the male like a mirialan or chiss, but not a togruta or twi'lek.

Sith Inquisitor: has a human male and an alien female for romance, so I think an alien male and a human female would be best to round things out better, preferably making at least one of them into an imperial officer type as your liason with the military arm of the empire. I am only at level 35 with my Sith Inquisitor, so I don't know how things progress with Rylee Dray, but from whay I know so far I think she is already in an ideal position to become the Sith Inquisitor's companion, though I would not mind Thana Vesh, either. For the male, I think a voss mystic could work out with the way the stories are so far for this class. Personally, I would like for the female to become my intelligence operative/secret agent/Emperor's Hand/slicing thief on the team; sort of like a Mara Jade-like character for my (supposedly) Darth Sidious-like character.

Sith Warrior: already has a female alien and a female human to romance, as well as a human male. So, I would like to see an alien male (maybe even being a bounty hunter on retainer to be like a Boba Fett to your Darth Vader) and perhaps a very near-human female like I expressed above for the Sith Inquisitor; specifically I would like to see a Chiss, female, imperial officer reassigned from the Intelligence Directorate for one of your special missions.

Jedi Consular: already has a near-human female and a human male, so I think an alien male and a human female would be best, though I wouldn't mind a more alien female since Nadia already looks very human to me. Perhaps some sort of archaeologist, imperial defector, or rogue-type background would be appropriate for a consular companion. A Voss mystic type of character might be very interesting, too.

Jedi Knight: has a human female and a human male for romance options, so I think we need a couple of aliens here, perhaps a togruta for those players with a fetish from watching the animated series or a nautolan or a twi'lek (what can I say about choosing them so often other than I think that Twi'leks are an iconic race that should be seen often in the game as more than just background characters and enemies)

Smuggler: already have human and alien females to romance and a human male, too. I think an alien male is in order and I could go with most any species for a female option. It might be fun to watch a fugitive, voss mystic have interactions with Guss... Maybe someone could become the ship cook...

Trooper: I would like to see a human male and an alien female with the trooper since he already has a female human and an alien male to romance. They could fit in as the ship's pilot or something. I haven't gotten any companions past Dorne yet, so this might already be taken care of at a point in the story that I haven't gotten to yet, but maybe one of them could fit in as the team slicer or mechanical engineering expert. From what I know Tanno Vik is the demolitions expert, Yuun is the scout, Dorne is the medic, and the droid and aric are your heavy weapons gunners. Engineering, piloting, and intelligence are positions that might not get filled by the end of the story.

Faction-wide options: If it comes down to only getting a couple of companions limited by faction, then I would say that both factions should get an alien male and an alien female to romance, but they should be very near-humans like Miralans or Miralukas. My reasoning is that out of all the classes the majority of existing romances are with humans.

For some companion ideas I think characters that have already been met in the class or planetary stories, such as Thana Vesh or Rylee Dray, would make for great companions as they already have a history established in the game, even if they become companions for a different class (that could be quite interesting, too).

What would you guys like to see as possible future companions?

Helig
08.01.2012 , 12:58 PM | #2
HK-51. That is all. If he's anything like the original HK-47, don't really need anything else.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

SamuelAU
08.02.2012 , 03:24 AM | #3
I like the idea, but adding 16 new companions to the game would require a lot of work in terms of writing, voice acting etc. I think it would work better if there was one male and one female per faction and you get a choice between the two.

As for species, that would be hard because you can never please everyone, but it would be nice to be able to have a Chiss or Mirialan companion.

Alec_Fortescue
08.02.2012 , 04:23 AM | #4
Divorcing with Vette upon hearing from LS Jaesa how much she loves me is al I want
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Tenacity
08.02.2012 , 11:35 PM | #5
They'd better add some more Cathar companions >.>
Akeema Lynx Mirialan Freelancer

Tempestsun
08.03.2012 , 10:44 AM | #6
Give me Jaxo for my female trooper and everything else would just be a bonus XD

Negranit
08.03.2012 , 05:13 PM | #7
I want Jaxo for may MALE trooper!

Chikun
08.06.2012 , 10:12 AM | #8
I can only see Thana as being the one to hold my hand as we burn down Republic orphanages.
FEED ME

Miorum
08.08.2012 , 05:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TaoAlchemist View Post
Bioware has stated that they will release same-gender romance via new companions introduced later, but within a year of release. They also clarified that they will not change existing characters to become same gender romancable, so speculating about romancing existing companions of the same gender as your character would be pointless.
Oh, hooray. That means people might get stuck with a completely unlikable character specifically designed to be your same-gender romancing buddy.

This means that all the work I put into being the best possible Bounty Hunter and doing everything right for Mako - was basically just me getting stuck in the same-gender-Friend Zone. That's ****. I love you, Mako!

Edit: All I really want from BW here, is to make the characters believable.
During your Class Story, you'll only get to [Flirt] with the opposite gender and if they aren't fixing that I just want to have a completely valid reason as to why exactly I should fall for the new character they're introducing without making them obviously stereotypical.
I swear, if my Smuggler or BH runs into a butch female mechanic with a love for speeders and bad behaviour, there'll be hell to pay.
Miorum Dustmoore - Scoundrel
I'll only play "Sawbones" if I can take and sell your kidneys.

Eyerocks
08.12.2012 , 07:55 PM | #10
I stopped romancing with doc hoping one day i could romance with scourge, i know its weird and all but...

I'll wait for you...
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you a cleaver...you make death.