Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslingers are the hidden PvP god class of SWTOR.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gunslingers are the hidden PvP god class of SWTOR.

Ashuranrx
07.26.2012 , 08:39 AM | #1
This is a post for me to scream out how awesome the Gunslinger class is in PvP, because I just need to get it off my chest to share the class’s awesomeness with you all.

I played a Jedi Guardian (first character), then a Gunslinger, then a Sith Sorcerer, then a Mercenary, and then a Jedi Sentinel. I pvped with them all at lowby level and level 50. Out of all the classes I played, I felt that my gunslinger can turn the tide of battle more than my tank, healer, or other DPS classes can do. The second closest in performance is my Sentinel. But the Sentinel can be shutdown easier because it is a melee class, and it is also more “selfish” as in save himself more than helping others.

Many people felt that the cover mechanic is a handicap and we are just stationary turrets, but that is so wrong.

My favorite spec is Sharpshooter, 33/7/1. With this spec, I have solo beat every class, even tank assassins and operatives. I have even solo beat a tank assassin and his guarded sorc healer in a 1v2. Of course, not every player is super duper good. But that does not make the Gunslinger’s potential any less.

I will explain some of the most awesome tactical things that Gunslingers can do to dominate the battlefield, which may not be obvious to everyone:

1. Protect healers or other players:
You may think, “What? We are not tanks.” But the thing is that we can transfer our defensive abilities to other players in PvP, and no other class can do this better than the Gunslinger. Often I setup my cover right next to the healer. Any melee who comes to kill the healer gets my knockback, dirty kick, aim shot knockback, leg shot root, flash grenade, and a face full of shots until dead. I switch my target immediately to any melee attacking the healer while CCing others, and then drop them dead one by one. I can handle up to 3 melee train for my healer. If the healer is good and realize that I am protecting him, he will heal me and add in his own CC and can last a long time. Add in Scramble Field when the train is a big one. If the healer has his tank guarding him, then we are not going anywhere. Same tactic against range focus fire on your healer; CC with flash grenade and shoot the attackers. I think the only time I failed to protect my healer is when there were 4 melee train on him and he ran too far away from me, behind a pillar and out of my LOS too. Lol

This is where I felt my Sentinel is inferior, his defensive cool downs can only save himself. lol

2. Incredible burst on the offensive, pick off weakened targets and assist DPS:
When I am not on the defensive for myself or for a teammate, and am on the offensive, I pick on squishes and people with half a health bar left, and can drop them real fast. If they ran out of range or out of LOS, don’t worry about it and let your teammate finish them off and get on the next weakened target. Keep it up and the enemy team is half dead and pushed back before you know it.

3. Good defense:
All the solo kills happened when I was solo defensing a door or a node. Same as above in “1”. Save dodge and cover shield for last. Time Dodge to activate it when a hard hit is about to come, like Ravage and Serious of Shots… etc. Positioning is very important, try to position somewhere where it is hard for enemy range to hit you and hard to enemy melee to get to you. I usually stick close to a healer. Lol Don’t forget Hunker Down to protect against AoE and CC.

4. Mobility is still good.
Yes, we can’t leap around like knights or speed boost like Consulars. But we still can run and shoot. Leg shot is great for stopping runners. If the runner is a squishy, I will leg shot and set up my cover as close as possible, so I can drop him before they run again.

Finally, gunslingers are sexy. Male or female, we are too sexy for the galaxy. (Rhythm for the win!)

Brool
07.26.2012 , 04:18 PM | #2
shhh, dont tell anyone.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

Jayshames
07.26.2012 , 05:04 PM | #3
Every class is good if you're geared against ungeared, or you actually know how to play.

deets
07.26.2012 , 06:57 PM | #4
I love GS also, I am currently level 39 and love it. I was doing SS but am trying Sab and I love it. I put out good damage and do well protecting, Awesome fun.

Ashuranrx
07.27.2012 , 08:19 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
Every class is good if you're geared against ungeared, or you actually know how to play.
True, but only to some extent. The potential of the GS far surpasses all the other classes that I played. I actually feel that I can protect a healer better on my GS than on my guardian tank because its ability to disrupt focus fire, although it won’t show up on the score board. My Mercenary can do similar damage output to my GS, but the arsenal of defense is nowhere near the GS. My Sentinel can wreak havoc on the battlefield, but he needs a lot of good support, because he is often the target of focus fire and chain CC. My GS can support others really well. Sentinel also can’t protect friends like the GS can.

My guardian gets owned by pyrotechs all the time. My GS eats them like cabbage.

Ashuranrx
07.27.2012 , 08:20 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by deets View Post
I love GS also, I am currently level 39 and love it. I was doing SS but am trying Sab and I love it. I put out good damage and do well protecting, Awesome fun.
I tried Sab and Dirty Fighting also, but I didn’t like them as much as SS because:
1. Switching target to do damage is too slow. I can’t kill off the melee trains on my healer fast enough due to setup required to do damage.
2. I couldn’t fight back good assassins and operatives that try to pick me off. They both can remove all debuffs on them with an ability on short cooldown. When they wipe off all the dots and charges on them, they can dps me down before I can dps them down. In my experience, SS spec has the best chance to kill stealth when they jump on you.

To all players trying the GS: The GS is hard to learn. It is a very tactical class that requires a lot of thinking and battlefield awareness, both in the current fight and in the entire warzone. But once it is learned, it feels good to play even if the game was lost.

HeavensTerror
07.27.2012 , 09:50 AM | #7
Yup had my GS since launch, it really is one of the best kept secrets. SS right now(favorite spec) and my burst is just as good if not better then my Vanguard AS.
The Bastion Forerunner legacy
Ionenla Gunslinger
Twileky Sentinel
Lonenla Vanguard

Keeperofthevoid
07.27.2012 , 10:12 AM | #8
Yea, they can do insane damage if you play them right.
It's surprising that they never been mentioned ever as far as I know as OP.

kamikrazy
07.27.2012 , 10:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Keeperofthevoid View Post
Yea, they can do insane damage if you play them right.
It's surprising that they never been mentioned ever as far as I know as OP.
People try to, but they really don't know how to counter us. With that said, range is our best friend.

Smuglebunny
07.27.2012 , 02:54 PM | #10
Yep Im out there wrecking people as a clicking backpeddling keyboard turner with my sab-slinger.

My spec is 10/31/0

Operatives are my kryptonite and tanks are a pain, other than that I can kill you in one rotation.

I love when marksman snipers try and throw that gas can thing at me, as a sab slinger most of my good moves are bombs and grenades that I dont need cover for...

Its a great class now shut up before u get us nerfed. Its squishy if focused.