Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.3 BIS setups

FlatOut_nlF
07.08.2012 , 12:40 AM | #11
Nice BiS, but why surge is that high for madness? Its 77%

Messiaah
07.08.2012 , 12:53 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by FlatOut_nlF View Post
Nice BiS, but why surge is that high for madness? Its 77%
Dots do not scale with alacrity, that is the simple answer. You can only trade surge against alacrity, that's why you have to take that much surge. If you could choose power or crit instead you would go for it, but that is impossible.
Guildlead - Seven Stuck
Kereg - Juggernaut Tank
Recruitment: open

hatterson
07.08.2012 , 10:06 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Messiaah View Post
Dots do not scale with alacrity, that is the simple answer. You can only trade surge against alacrity, that's why you have to take that much surge. If you could choose power or crit instead you would go for it, but that is impossible.
Pretty much. We only get benefit from alacrity on Force Lightning, everything else is insta cast. And even on that FL gets an extra 6% crit from talents so even it gets more help than normal from Surge than Alacrity.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw

hatterson
07.08.2012 , 10:10 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by nizar View Post
Awesome post! Thanks Daellia! I'm surprised at how low the optimal critical rating is. Did you also manage to test one of the War Hero relics against a Campaign proc relic (probably Internal damage since armor debuffs no longer stack)?

Also I thought I'd point out there are some spaces in the Lightning rotation that break the action code. You might want to check the other rotations as well. Here are the offending lines in the Lightning rotation:
I think the spaces are just a copy/paste issue...they shouldn't be there.

In regards to the relics. Yes I did test them. The Campaign internal proc relic was best for Madness and Hybrid (by 1-2 DPS) and the WH was best for Lightning (by 2-3 DPS). The main reason for this is the proc rate of the Campaign relic. With Hybrid and Madness your filler is Force Lightning which is hitting the mob twice as often as Lightning Strike does which increases how fast the relic procs on average once the 4.5s cooldown is hit.

I don't have the reports in front of me, but under Madness and Hybrid the relic was procing every 5.7-5.8s whereas under lightning it was 6.2-6.3s which takes it from a 41-42 DPS relic to a 37-38 DPS relic.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Sentriath
07.08.2012 , 03:44 PM | #15
I realize that these numbers are for a patchwork style fight, but do you have any baselines for a normal ops encounter where you cannot turret with 100% up time?

Daellia
07.08.2012 , 03:46 PM | #16
Once these profiles have been included in the upcoming SimC release, there should be Light Movement and Helter-Skelter sims available for your perusal at Simulationcraft.org.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

AlexGFX
07.09.2012 , 02:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Daellia View Post
Once these profiles have been included in the upcoming SimC release, there should be Light Movement and Helter-Skelter sims available for your perusal at Simulationcraft.org.
Do you guys have a BiS list for dedicated healers? I didn't see that in your post. :-(

Daellia
07.09.2012 , 03:34 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexGFX View Post
Do you guys have a BiS list for dedicated healers? I didn't see that in your post. :-(
We don't really make BIS lists for healers like we do DPS. To quote Aurojiin:

Quote:
Aside from augments, gearing a Sorc is a tug of war in two separate categories: Power vs Critical Rating, and Surge vs Alacrity. The ‘ideal’ amounts of each are not as clear cut for healers as they are for DPS Sorcs. It is important to understand that healing is not DPSing. Your goal is not to maximise your healing output, but rather to effectively meet the healing demands of an encounter, and the burden can vary dramatically at different stages.
Basically, as a healer you have a lot more flex in your gear than a DPSer does, a lot more options for tailoring your gear to your preferred healing style, rather than simply focusing on objective maximum output. This does, unfortunately, inhibit the production of BIS lists.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

hatterson
07.09.2012 , 08:02 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Daellia View Post
Basically, as a healer you have a lot more flex in your gear than a DPSer does, a lot more options for tailoring your gear to your preferred healing style, rather than simply focusing on objective maximum output. This does, unfortunately, inhibit the production of BIS lists.
Yea, unfortunately healing takes many different forms. With DPS it's a little simpler. The idea is to put out as much damage on a single target as possible. Fortunately, under current setup there are no force issues and even if you do, simply spamming FL can recharge your force fairly quickly. There's also no such thing as 'over damage'.

With healing you have a lot more concerns. You don't really care about healing as much as possible, per se, you care about making sure the tank doesn't die. If you run out of force, the tank dies. Overhealing does not help the tank live longer so you want to limit overhealing because it's essentially wasting force. Now, certainly you could optimize your gear for mostly force neutral maximum HPS on a single target with a given rotation but that chances of you staying on a single target and fully going through the rotation are minimal. Most likely you'll heal the tank a bit, then toss a heal on a DPS, then get a burst damage phase and need to change your rotation a bit, etc. You also generally aren't healing the entire time and can toss an affliction or two on the target which changes things.

The weight you place on alacrity also depends on the situation. If you know there's going to be a crazy burst phase and you need to pump out heals fast, higher alacrity might be better so you can spam out Dark Infusion faster. If there won't be a burst phase then higher surge might be better as it results in higher long term numbers.

Personally I think the Balance/Hybrid numbers are a good thing to shoot for, but I wouldn't think of it as a min/max point as the TK numbers certainly aren't going to gimp you as a healer.
- George Bernard Shaw

Aurojiin
07.09.2012 , 08:33 AM | #20
I note this in my healing guide, but for the academically interested, the technical BiS stats for sustained healing would be: 2129 Willpower, 838 power, 205 crit, 342 alacrity, 228 surge. Mind you, the calculations that yielded those would best be described as "quick and dirty", so take them with a grain of salt at present.

Crit is easy enough; you either take the mathematically optimal amount or you stack enough to reach 40% buffed crit chance to guarantee Dark Infusion crits with Recklessness. There's no point in a middle ground.

For DPSers, Alacrity's benefit stems from allowing you to cast quicker, increasing (by definition) DPS. For healers, that holds true in terms of increasing output, but there's also the matter of your heals landing slightly sooner; it's not a massive difference, but a tenth or two of a second can occasionally be the difference between someone living or dying (hey, I have seen it). So even if you're idling (and inevitably you will idle somewhat when healing) you still get benefits from the stat. Personally I just run Surge = Alacrity and call it a day.