Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Slicing] Critical success rate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Critical success rate

Mechrophilia's Avatar


Mechrophilia
07.07.2012 , 02:48 PM | #11
I second your praise of Triality!

Hats off to the tenacious.

Darth-Malice's Avatar


Darth-Malice
07.07.2012 , 02:55 PM | #12
I was doing good till a week ago now every slicing misson has almost always failed.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

AdamLKvist's Avatar


AdamLKvist
07.07.2012 , 03:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
Are you serious? This gentleman (or lady) went to the effort of tracking the relevant data points for a hundred tries, and you say this is a stupid idea? Admittedly, the sample size could be larger, but this is the sort of behavior that should be encouraged, not scorned. And it wasn't just him basing his findings off the data - he thought that the missions were behaving a certain way, and so he performed an experiment to confirm that with hard data.

I say bravo to the OP.
"I had only seen one white dog and three black dogs ever in my life. This made me wonder if white dogs were a rare breed. After once again going outside doing a thorough test seeing thirty black dogs and ten white dogs I can now conclude that the population of dogs is only 25% white."

There's a reason you have to be cautious when dealing with empirism. If you apply a small sample size anything can look possible. Again, stupid. The theory of likelihood is something we cover in our teens in my country but maybe you applaud effort even when its completely irrelevant. He could just as well have posted his opinion without including any numbers because it would be no more nor less valid than what he did now - since sample is too small.
The Forgotten Legacy
Ancestry/Mythology
TOFN

ElvenPadfoot's Avatar


ElvenPadfoot
07.07.2012 , 05:43 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamLKvist View Post
"I had only seen one white dog and three black dogs ever in my life. This made me wonder if white dogs were a rare breed. After once again going outside doing a thorough test seeing thirty black dogs and ten white dogs I can now conclude that the population of dogs is only 25% white."

There's a reason you have to be cautious when dealing with empirism. If you apply a small sample size anything can look possible. Again, stupid. The theory of likelihood is something we cover in our teens in my country but maybe you applaud effort even when its completely irrelevant. He could just as well have posted his opinion without including any numbers because it would be no more nor less valid than what he did now - since sample is too small.
I guess in your country everyone's so busy learning the 'theory of likelihood' that they're too busy to learn good manners. There's no need to be rude because another community member thinks an effort (whatever it may be), is praiseworthy. Why bash, when you could as easily explain?

Triality's Avatar


Triality
07.07.2012 , 05:47 PM | #15
The original post has been updated with another set of missions, and the crit rate is tending higher at 16.6%.

There is still a question in my mind about the Legacy of Crafting effect on slicing missions. Since we now know the other missions ARE affected, why should slicing be excluded?

@Rhaphael, thanks for the correction I spent a bit more time looking for the post that outlined it, but was unsuccessful.

@evanfardreamer and Mechrophilia, thanks for the kind words.

Because we build the worlds we wouldn't mind living in. They contain scary things, problems, but also a sense of rightness that makes them alive and makes us want to live there.

AdamLKvist's Avatar


AdamLKvist
07.07.2012 , 05:58 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ElvenPadfoot View Post
I guess in your country everyone's so busy learning the 'theory of likelihood' that they're too busy to learn good manners. There's no need to be rude because another community member thinks an effort (whatever it may be), is praiseworthy. Why bash, when you could as easily explain?
1. Woopey doo see what happens in the post above me? Bigger sample bigger crit chance. Who would've possibly thought

2. "Its simple math for crying out loud. You need a sample size of 2000 before you get reliable information. You could get 100 fails in a row and it would still not mean you crit less than intended - the likehood isn't big. But these kind of threads are... Stupid."

These kind of threads are too usual - sample sizes of ten and refered to as some kind of fact. Needs to stop. What I wrote above would more correctly be described as blunt rather than rude - then again the easier a person takes offence...

edit: The worst part isnt the OP and the critique was only half aimed at him. Its everyone in the thread enabling: surely someone should know about likelyhood in math etc.
The Forgotten Legacy
Ancestry/Mythology
TOFN

abercromb's Avatar


abercromb
07.08.2012 , 01:48 AM | #17
Credit to the original poster for taking the time to look at there own crit rating. It's always cool to get more information, can never have enough.
One tip that many people miss though is to make sure you equip your crew with the right armour/gear. If you wanted to improve your chance of critting on your main character, you would make sure your armour had lots of crit rating. But when it comes to your companions and missions most people forget.

Alastasia's Avatar


Alastasia
07.08.2012 , 02:49 PM | #18
Lol! ^^^

Triality's Avatar


Triality
07.08.2012 , 10:07 PM | #19
The original post has been updated, Of 233 missions, 15.9% were crits.

Because we build the worlds we wouldn't mind living in. They contain scary things, problems, but also a sense of rightness that makes them alive and makes us want to live there.

Rhaphael's Avatar


Rhaphael
07.09.2012 , 12:59 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Triality View Post
The original post has been updated, Of 233 missions, 15.9% were crits.
That is pretty close to the target 20%.

Thanks for running the data, it confirms slicing crits are working as intended

Quote: Originally Posted by Triality View Post
There is still a question in my mind about the Legacy of Crafting effect on slicing missions. Since we now know the other missions ARE affected, why should slicing be excluded?
The tooltip specifically says it only works on crafting, not missions, so if it does indeed work for some missions that would be a bug. Which mission types do you see to be affected?