Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is pushback?

HannableKain
06.28.2012 , 11:09 AM | #1
There was a trait I could take from the skill tree's that said it reduces pushback of force lightning.
What the heck is pushback?

Daellia
06.28.2012 , 11:32 AM | #2
Pushback occurs when you take damage while casting or channeling an ability. There are actually two flavors of it.

If you take damage while casting an effect, it pushes the cast back back toward the beginning, effectively adding time to the final cast. For example, if you were 0.7 seconds through a 1.5 second cast when you took damage, it might push you back to being only 0.2 seconds into it, requiring another 1.3 seconds to finish the cast, and thus making the total cast time 2.0 seconds. Pushback effectively reduces the DPS/HPS of casted abilities.

If you take damage while channeling an effect, it instead pushes the cast bar forward toward the end, effectively clipping time off the channel. For example, say you were 1.2 seconds through a 3.0 second channel, it might push you forward to 1.7 seconds through the channel, effectively clipping 0.5 seconds off the end. Since this "pushback" on channeled effects doesn't change the tick timer, you effectively just lost the last tick of the channel, but didn't really lose any DPS (since the ticks are still occurring every 1.0 seconds). Thus for channeled effects, pushback reduces the effective resource efficiency and forces you to recast it more often (plus has a chance of giving you a bit of DPS downtime while you're finishing the channel with no tick at the end).

Effects that reduce your pushback by a certain percent reduce how much you're pushed back (or forward). If you have 75% pushback resistance, the pushback in the first example (which was a 0.5 second pushback) would instead have been only a 0.125 second pushback.

I'm not entirely certain on the mechanics of pushback in regards to how much you get pushed back on damage (whether it's a static amount, a random amount within a range, or based on the damage taken, etc), or if there is a cap to pushback on each ability (for example, in WoW, each pushback was 0.5 seconds base, capped at 1.0 second total), but the above at least should give you a qualitative idea of how it works.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

HannableKain
06.28.2012 , 01:53 PM | #3
Thanks,

I was not sure what that meant.

TenDarkPaladins
01.31.2013 , 10:41 AM | #4
Yes, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know what it meant either, but just went with it instead of the AoE damage boosts since we don't get those until lvl 35+
Dojo, the one and only.
Dójó- Op Heals, Kakuto- Sorc Heals, Xxdojoxx- Sin Tank, Hyperma- Jugg Dps