Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

flashpoints dsiappointing -feels like fraud

Ashmadai
12.19.2011 , 08:43 AM | #21
I have the opposite stance of you. I really enjoyed Esseles, but even the first time I was doing it I was thinking "Yeah, no way i'm re-running this because I don't want to sit through the same stuff twice."

I absolutely love the story and it's one of my favorite things about the game, but I get a metric ton of story in my class quests, world arcs, and side quests. I run flashpoints for two things: A fun time with my friends/guildies, and loot.

Delinth
12.19.2011 , 08:57 AM | #22
Here's the thing: BioWare initially made a few Flashpoints for the game and put good story and conversation elements in them: Esseles, Black Talon, Tarval V (also known as Jedi Prisoner), etc... Then people clamored for more Flashpoints because some people just like to dungeon grind.

This is where Flashpoints like Hammer Station, Athiss, and Mandalorian Raiders come into play. They are built to be light on talking as they were built to fill the gaps between Flashpoints.

This does not make them lesser Flashpoints, but after being spoiled by Esseles/Black Talon I can see the concern. Just be aware there are more later with a lot of story.

Hellrazer
12.19.2011 , 09:06 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
The heavy convo stuff is saved for class quests and heroics. If anything, I'm fairly happy with stuff like Hammer, because Esseles in particular can become a slog in terms of dialogue. I suspect they realized that if every instance was THAT dialogue-heavy, people would go nuts.
Agreed, sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad
Sith Lords of Darkness

Corillian Run
Ragnos Legacy

Farabee
12.19.2011 , 09:15 AM | #24
I'm actually glad the flashpoints aren't all like BT/Esseless. Doing that stuff with people who haven't read the dialogue is tedious as hell, especially when you're farming loot.

That said, the bosses still have tons of personality, the atmosphere is there and the flashpoints tell stories, just not interactive dialogue. The story behind Cademimu is VERY cool, it's kind of like a Star Wars version of V For Vendetta. The guy yelling out propaganda over loudspeakers, the people in the streets being rounded up and harassed by police, the open revolts by the population...proof that you don't need 30 minutes of canned choices to tell a compelling story of what's going on.

Also, the last boss (who is a bit buggy in terms of his mechanic) is hilarious in his smack talk.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -Imperium proverb

AreTwoBeThree
12.19.2011 , 09:19 AM | #25
Too many zerg mentality responses here... I want more conversations. If you get a group who wants to skip through them, you can. The opposite is not possible.

LordHartigan
12.19.2011 , 09:40 AM | #26
I suppose if you repeat them a lot the dialogue gets old. I just did my firest flashpoint (Esseles) this weekend and loved it.

Farabee
12.19.2011 , 09:51 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Xarnax View Post
Im level 30 now and have done every instance possible so far. The thing that stands out is ofc. the lack of convos, but also the boss mechanics. For lack of better positivity I'd like to point out how cool some of the boss mechanics are, and I sure hope Operations will be this challenging in the future!
I agree, most of the bosses do at least something interesting. The ones that stand out (up to Boarding Party):

Hammer Station: Last boss is a good skill check, refreshing to see good play required this early in the game.
Mandalorian Raiders: The 2nd boss is a bit overtuned but oveall I love the fights here. The first boss with the untauntable dogs on top of the AOE mechanic of the main boss is really neat. Last boss is a little easy but the idea is cool and the fight feels epic.
Cademimu: Love the nod to Kael'thas fight in the first boss. 2nd boss is a bit boring, but the last guy is also suitably epic.
Boarding Party: Lot of ho-hum fights here, but the first boss and last 2 bosses are really awesome. First boss is just visually cool with lightning filling the room. Last 2 bosses are really challenging and took a wipe or 2 to figure out.

Overall the difficulty of these fights is great, they're not impossible but they require people to play above the level you'd normally expect for leveling instances.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -Imperium proverb

gEddeh
12.19.2011 , 09:56 AM | #28
I just finished Esseles and for a first flashpoint I think they did a good job I did not investigate this game before it got released for the fact that I love to be surprised.

The Esseles Flashpoint was long enough. It took me a good hour to finish it. The rewards some enemies dropped were really helpfull and the dialogs were interesting.

If I remember correctly you will eventually fight 3 human enemies and 2 droids as for bosses (the droids belong to the bonus quest). Each one was stronger then the boss before so you had a good build up.

The only small downpart of the entire flashpoint was the Sith you had to fight at the end (Vokk?). He had a crapload of HP but was weaker in strenght then the second droid we had to fight. If the devs would add a little bit of strenght to him, it would be perfect!

All taken into consideration, I think they did a great job

infernus
12.19.2011 , 10:07 AM | #29
I think it is important there are flashpoints that my guild and I can run without having to spacebar through massive amounts of dialogue. You do realize that there are people playing this game exclusively in groups? Your ignorance doesn't provide the foundation for a valid complaint.

angelana
12.19.2011 , 10:16 AM | #30
Tarev IV/ Malestrom (lvl 32 - 36) is what you guys are looking for. It is amazing... amazingly long, 3 hrs or so, but absolutly amazing story. Trust me, you miss that one and you will kick yourself.
Ja'Vetti Moskanova - Guildmaster VaccaVacca
It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.