Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Blackardin
06.24.2012 , 05:51 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
Bioware has demonstrated their ability to efficiently mass transfer characters from one server to another, so why did they stop there?

I know BW has not given a when of if this service will be available, but could anyone speculate why the heck not? And what the bleep are they waiting for? If they are worried about balance, just make the initial price where transfers would slowly be purchased.

There is a huge player base that rerolled new characters on the very few populated servers when their server population dried up. Now they (including me) would like to reunite all our players onto a singel server.

I don't understand why BW is pushing this Legacy stuff while penalizing players who made adjsutments during the lonely server days. I don't see 10 page posts regarding the suspense and excitement over Legacy perks.

Bioware, why are not implementing paid transfers? The usual "maybe we will" response is huge B.S.

Coding, testing, billing, higher priority content like, I dunno, an expansion pack that they don't want to cross up with and end up with a mass of spaghetti code?

Do you people think this stuff just magically materializes? This is a revenue producer. Do you think that they would not have it out if they could?
May the Schwartz be with you....

DarthKhaos
06.24.2012 , 06:10 AM | #22
GREAT IDEA MAN!

Spend time and effort into getting server populations to good levels and while that's going on give the players the ability to leave said servers to reduce it or spread out to dead servers for them to start complaining all over again that they're on dead servers before a decision is made about the servers players are currently transferring off of.

AWESOME!
=================================
F2P? NO THANKS
CANCELLED
=================================

Graydon
06.24.2012 , 08:37 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Do you people think this stuff just magically materializes? This is a revenue producer. Do you think that they would not have it out if they could?
And that's the point!

BW just transferred 100's of thousands of characters between servers in a matter of days. The process was smooth and nearly instant. So the code is there. The demand is there. An oppurtinutity to fix player frustration is there. Everything is there except the service.

The responses that say BW is monitoring population balances, you do realize that if I transfer 4 characters from the same faction, I did not increase the population by four? I added zero to the population. If I transfer multiple characters from opposite faction, I increased the population by 1.

It's annoying to see BW push the Legacy mumbo jumbo while a large part of the playerbase has split Legacies. BW, you make it no secret you want players to roll alts and take advantage of the Legacy junk. So why hinder us at the same time/

Gangrel
06.24.2012 , 08:53 AM | #24
Once they allow more characters slots on the server then i am willing for them to allow paid character transfers... having 8 to a server is very limited, considering that there are 16 potential classes to play (8 on either side).
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) I have seen more intellegence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.

NoxIrradiata
06.24.2012 , 08:58 AM | #25
+1 for paid transfers to your server of choice! I'm a West Coast player who got put onto an East Coast server at launch and have since been shuttled to another East Coast server with the recent transfers. Would love the opportunity to play with people (and guilds!) who have compatible prime play times.
Krayt Dragon Refugee
Thalyssa: Sith Marauder Rha'Vhanna: Operative

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion...

Rafaman
06.24.2012 , 09:15 AM | #26
Relax OP. They are coming. We, on the last of the dead servers, just got the ability to transfer less then 7 days ago. And there are problems. I think the transfers went smoothly, but nevertheless, there are issues with load balancing. I understand that you aren't really adding to the load if you already have a toon on said server, but others haven't moved and did not reroll. In fact they are waiting for paid transfers so they can move where they want once.

So.... lets give them sometime to sort things out just a bit more. After all, if you pay for a transfer, I'm sure you will agree, you want absolutely no hiccups or unexpected consequences. And... if you pay... you may even want to keep your name.

Realistically, with 1.3 being released... it may even take a little more time. That's the reality. Nevertheless, it hasn't been that long, and I think you will be glad you waited.

FourTwent
06.24.2012 , 09:28 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatebomb View Post
Maybe but truthfully it will have little impact on current server pops. I play on JC after rerolling from kraisk obelisk. KO got transfers to ordo. I didn't transfer and still play on JC. Being able to move my 50's from KO to JC has no effect on JC server pop. I currently play there and can only play one toon at a time.
I'm with you dude. I'm already on Fatman and not going anywhere. So technically allowing me to transfer over isn't going to mess with anything. But maybe the expect a huge influx of users to certain servers. I'm not sure.

Albertwang
06.24.2012 , 09:57 AM | #28
Agreed here. Can't wait to unite my Space Slug guy lvl 50 with my guild on Corellian Run!

misterME
06.24.2012 , 10:28 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthKhaos View Post
GREAT IDEA MAN!

Spend time and effort into getting server populations to good levels and while that's going on give the players the ability to leave said servers to reduce it or spread out to dead servers for them to start complaining all over again that they're on dead servers before a decision is made about the servers players are currently transferring off of.

AWESOME!
All sarcasm aside, you made a good point. But who's to say they let even paid transfers move to any severs other than their consolidated "mega-servers" they just created? In fact, since it's a foregone conclusion that they will eventually close those now-dead servers, it would be pretty pointless to let anyone transfer to those servers at all, paid or not. Easy enough; just don't make them available.

I would guess that they would also have to disallow transfers, paid or not, to certain mega-servers like The Fatman that are already busting at the seems. Or at least only allow them for players with characters already on them over a certain level or for a predetermined amount of time (to avoid juking the system), as this wouldn't actually increase those server pops.

Otherwise, though, if their system is in place (and it may well not be), there isn't any other reason I can think of for them not to go ahead and open them up. Would cure a lot of the problems for those that regret their decisions to transfer to their preselected destination servers during this round. And there are a lot.

Faith in Bioware restored June 29, 2012: See the Magic!

Taurusaud
06.24.2012 , 10:31 AM | #30
Will you please relax. All this was already announced by Bioware, please just give them a few more months to setup the credit-card charging services for transfers and we will be all set.
And you could look deep into my eyes
Like I was a super-model
Uh-huh