Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon
07.09.2012 , 07:46 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Aricus View Post
Probably because it takes time as it requires more coding and probably other resources. Plus they're still working on other projects such as bugs, and future content updates. It's not like they're just sitting on their arse all day drinking coffee.
Bioware just transferred hundreds of thousands of characters.

They have the resources and the coding.

What they don't have is a comprehending of consumer demand nor MMO game management.

Aricus
07.09.2012 , 08:08 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
Bioware just transferred hundreds of thousands of characters.

They have the resources and the coding.
Look how long it took to setup those transfers. Yes coding is different even for the smallest change. I also wouldn't be surprised if such a change needs approval from a top executive first.

Triserpent
07.09.2012 , 08:31 AM | #123
Yes.

We need char transfers.
And we need it now!

Also, more slots would be really nice. And the thing is this:

We would be willing to pay for it! atleast, if you do it the right way.

Say, char transfers from any server to any server: 10
Start with giving us 10 slots for free. And then: 10 / 2 extra slots. Or something like that.

Loads of money for you. Happy custumers.

Win-win.

/Triserpent
Out of the Chaos a voice spoke to me:
Smile and be happy, for it could be worse!
And I smiled, and I was happy.
And it got worse!

Graydon
07.09.2012 , 08:40 AM | #124
Look how long it took to setup those transfers. Yes coding is different even for the smallest change. I also wouldn't be surprised if such a change needs approval from a top executive first.
Dude, the only difference in the code is WE the consumer choose the destination server, not Bioware. Remember Origin server destinations were not announced ahead of time so Bioware could monitor the process and make (here it comes....) CHANGES to the Destination server if necessary.

So yes they have the code. Would be very shortsighted of Bioware to not develop paid transfers to their code while they were building the character transfer service.

Aricus
07.09.2012 , 08:55 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
Dude, the only difference in the code is WE the consumer choose the destination server, not Bioware. Remember Origin server destinations were not announced ahead of time so Bioware could monitor the process and make (here it comes....) CHANGES to the Destination server if necessary.

So yes they have the code. Would be very shortsighted of Bioware to not develop paid transfers to their code while they were building the character transfer service.
Are you a programmer? Have you ever programmed anything before? I can tell you haven't. I on the other hand have and for what I did was just simple game which still was pretty complex to program for me since I am just a beginner. I can only imagine what it's like to program something such as MMOs and have it all correspond to a website (which also requires a variety of programming as well).

I am not saying BW can't get it done. They probably have but like everything else, BW is a business and not a business of it's own, meaning someone(s) owns it and takes charge of it. Therefore, to implement a huge change such as paid x-fers, I am sure they would need approval from a top executive(s) who isn't even housed in the same building or even city or state as BW company. And like 'Ive said before, BW are still working on other projects as well.

Graydon
07.09.2012 , 09:07 AM | #126
Are you a programmer? Have you ever programmed anything before? I can tell you haven't. I on the other hand have and for what I did was just simple game which still was pretty complex to program for me since I am just a beginner.
LOL! I am indeed a programmer, a long time programmer, and a project manager so I do know the code is there.

Yes I can tell that you are a beginner.

Jebei
07.09.2012 , 09:14 AM | #127
I think one of the reasons they are holding this announcement is for their quarterly financial conference call where it will get the most attention from stockholders. Announcing additional sources of revenue are good to hear at these things. In the meantime the servers settle and they will be able to estimate how many players they will have longterm.

I'm most interested in the subscriber number as I think it may shock a few how low the number has gotten (unless they include the level 1-15 that are playing for free). It is still good to release any good news they can release at that time to keep their stock from sliding further.

InnerPieces
07.09.2012 , 10:04 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Jebei View Post
In the meantime the servers settle and they will be able to estimate how many players they will have longterm.
These are all good points. The odd thing is refusal to allow us to transfer for free to other destination servers in order to consolidate our toons or meet up with our friends from other games is yet another thing trimming those longterm subscription numbers. The only way I can see this making sense is if they are just willing to let us go. I understand one player paying to transfer 4 characters will be enough to cover my lost subscription for about 6 months therefore making me quite insignificant. It's just unfortunate because someone like me, once I'm settled, would likely play (and pay.. even if f2p is offered) for years to come. Since they created that demand and are holding back to fuel the demand further, it seems clear my insignificance will not change. It makes perfect sense from a strictly business point of view. It does shoot the "BioWare appreciates the community" mentality out of the water, though. Of course, good impressions do not pay the bills... the bottom line does.

Don't worry. I'm finally coming to terms with it.
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

Ulran
07.09.2012 , 04:46 PM | #129
The other option if you have the spare cash is to buy some shares in EA, and use your rights as a shareholder to ask those questions they don't want to answer. You don't need to spend millions, over here in the UK one of the banks had all their smaller shareholders veto their bonuses a few months back.... very embarrising!

Personally Bioware are currently saying play with a lvl 39 legacy on 1 server (on my own) or start from scratch on a server with friends. I'm patiently been wait for a month now since transfers started, and I doubt we will have an answer before they give out the free cookies at the end of the month....

But at the moment there is NO reason for me to continue my subscription at this rate.
Xerxies Powertech Server: Lord Calypo RP-PVP EU

DarthSabreth
07.09.2012 , 05:15 PM | #130
I actually cant wait either, all of my republic toons are on Ebon Hawk, and all of my Empire toons are on Lord Adraas. I cant move my Empire toons to Ebon Hawk due to no space. Basically my Empire toons are useless sitting on a ghost town server.

I would really like to get some reprive and the ability to move them at some point!!!!!
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .