Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 05:14 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Yes, for my situation, but I recognize others might have problems with that.. so paid transfers would also fix it(and probably sooner).
In theory some might have concerns about paid transfers opening Pandora's box the way adding all those servers at launch did, while simply adding more freebie toon slots would work better for them. It's a 2-way street.
Peace out . . .

E-Zekiel
07.02.2012 , 05:36 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
What about subscribers who went on summer vacation with their wife & kids? Or people who will resubscribe during the summer? Or in the fall? Or around the holidays? What will they come back to - especially if some servers are decommissioned and repurposed? Characters in limbo? Maybe some could not care less about it, but I think Bioware does care and is avoiding spaz mode while stuff sorts itself out. But that's just opinion.
By this logic they should just never do them ever because things are always changing, and that is just silly.

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 05:48 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by E-Zekiel View Post
By this logic they should just never do them ever because things are always changing, and that is just silly.
I took a year off of LOTRO (lifetime subscription no less), and Turbine consolidated servers during my absence. All of my toons were untraceable (customer service wouldn't use the word "deleted") and that pretty much got me questioning my value as a customer. It's a genuine consideration. Albeit a silly one perhaps - until it happens to you.

All I am saying is that safeguards aren't intrinsic. They require time to implement, bullet proof and stabilize. Petulantly cracking a whip 2 weeks after a major server shake-up isn't exactly condusive to stabiliy.
Peace out . . .

E-Zekiel
07.02.2012 , 06:28 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
I took a year off of LOTRO (lifetime subscription no less), and Turbine consolidated servers during my absence. All of my toons were untraceable (customer service wouldn't use the word "deleted") and that pretty much got me questioning my value as a customer. It's a genuine consideration. Albeit a silly one perhaps - until it happens to you.

All I am saying is that safeguards aren't intrinsic. They require time to implement, bullet proof and stabilize. Petulantly cracking a whip 2 weeks after a major server shake-up isn't exactly condusive to stabiliy.
Yes, but that's on the fault of the company and you should be rightfully upset at them. However, to deny a large number of players transfers because of the odd occasion where a bug causes this to happen is the worse of two evils.

There is just no sense in it. The major transfers are already done, and most of them went smoothly. So the system is in place. The only thing left to do is to open it up to more servers via a paid method. In terms of the example you used, literally nothing changes. Whether they open transfers or not, the same bug would either occur, or it wouldn't.

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 06:41 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by E-Zekiel View Post
Yes, but that's on the fault of the company and you should be rightfully upset at them. However, to deny a large number of players transfers because of the odd occasion where a bug causes this to happen is the worse of two evils.

There is just no sense in it. The major transfers are already done, and most of them went smoothly. So the system is in place. The only thing left to do is to open it up to more servers via a paid method. In terms of the example you used, literally nothing changes. Whether they open transfers or not, the same bug would either occur, or it wouldn't.
There is a difference between denying access to a service and not releasing a service because the developers feel that either the service, the situation, or both are not where they need to be. Not letting customers into a drop-cloth covered section of the store because it is still being remodeled isn't denial - regardless of how far along construction looks, or how closely its anticipated operation mimics another section of the store that is already open for business. However some customers may experience denial from not being granted access.
Peace out . . .

Ronable
07.08.2012 , 11:26 PM | #116
Can we please for the love of god get paid char transfers already...this is obnoxious.

Comstrike
07.08.2012 , 11:45 PM | #117
There is no possible way they do this until after they are done with the free transfers and announce what servers are shutting down. The pet incentive is due to continue until July 31, so take that for what it is worth.

They first must declare what servers will not survive, otherwise people would wind-up paying twice if the move a server that shuts down. Or if the sunset servers are sent to a different server than that which is the present destination server, people would be unhappy if they had just paid to move to another destination server, only to have the same thing happen for free when it shuts down.

Open transfers won't happen until after the free transfers and eventual final merges occur. The most that would happen is a limited, paid transfer, for those not wishing to accept the freebies or final destination server. That likely isn't happening until mid to late August. That said, I would think they want the server merges done before they launch F2P (2L15.)
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

InnerPieces
07.08.2012 , 11:56 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanxxx View Post
Because they're still *********** themselves laughing at people willing to pay this early into a game for a problem they largely created.
If they aren't, then I am.

Unbelievable.....
Quote:
"..Rise of the Hutt Cartel continues your character's story....No class specific storylines, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."
Funny. I thought the implementation of the Cartel Store was the Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And no, I do not like what that story has to offer. I keep getting screwed in it.

Graydon
07.09.2012 , 06:20 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
There is no possible way they do this until after they are done with the free transfers and announce what servers are shutting down. The pet incentive is due to continue until July 31, so take that for what it is worth.

They first must declare what servers will not survive, otherwise people would wind-up paying twice if the move a server that shuts down. Or if the sunset servers are sent to a different server than that which is the present destination server, people would be unhappy if they had just paid to move to another destination server, only to have the same thing happen for free when it shuts down.

Open transfers won't happen until after the free transfers and eventual final merges occur. The most that would happen is a limited, paid transfer, for those not wishing to accept the freebies or final destination server. That likely isn't happening until mid to late August. That said, I would think they want the server merges done before they launch F2P (2L15.)
You have no idea what you are talking about...

Most of us do understand the purpose of the destination servers and are not asking to move to another origin server. We would like to have a choice of which destination server we transfer our characters.

Most of us rolled characters on a new server when our original ones became empty. Now after the server merge (which we had no choice of which destination) we have characters spread across multiple destination servers. We just want to consolidate our characters onto a single server...what is so difficult about that??

This would have minimal effect on the population.

Players get their Legacy, Bioware generates new revenue, and we are all happy.

Just don't understand why BW can't get off their butts and open paid transfers. They really screwed their subscrbers again.

Aricus
07.09.2012 , 07:36 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about...

Most of us do understand the purpose of the destination servers and are not asking to move to another origin server. We would like to have a choice of which destination server we transfer our characters.

Most of us rolled characters on a new server when our original ones became empty. Now after the server merge (which we had no choice of which destination) we have characters spread across multiple destination servers. We just want to consolidate our characters onto a single server...what is so difficult about that??

This would have minimal effect on the population.

Players get their Legacy, Bioware generates new revenue, and we are all happy.

Just don't understand why BW can't get off their butts and open paid transfers. They really screwed their subscrbers again.
Probably because it takes time as it requires more coding and probably other resources. Plus they're still working on other projects such as bugs, and future content updates. It's not like they're just sitting on their arse all day drinking coffee.