Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Roalmo
07.02.2012 , 04:59 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
It did indeed go quite smoothly. There are probably a lot of logistical loose ends that need to be tied up first before they open the floodgates - stragglers for one.
I'm a "straggler" and they will have to pry my server from my cold dead hands.

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 05:00 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
The NEED: I have 6 toons sitting on a DEAD server. If I transfer to the "designated" server, I will have to DELETE 4 toons.

Would like to transfer to a server, where that wouldn't happen.
A perfect example of why it would be a good idea to add more character slots per server before opening up the paid transfer system.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Graydon
07.02.2012 , 05:01 PM | #103
It did indeed go quite smoothly. There are probably a lot of logistical loose ends that need to be tied up first before they open the floodgates - stragglers for one.
Explain how stragglers would hinder the paid transfer service? They can still transfer. Destination servers are destination servers.

Players are subsribing and unsubscribing everyday. Server population changes everyday.

Players are rollling characters every day. Population balance changes everyday.

Graydon
07.02.2012 , 05:02 PM | #104
A perfect example of why it would be a good idea to add more character slots per server before opening up the paid transfer system.
They didn't add character slots before the free transfers. Why wait now?

Roalmo
07.02.2012 , 05:03 PM | #105
Sigh, for a game that touted the playing of "alts", the limit on per server was a disaster, I purposely left 2 slots open for "expansion", ie, new species/legacy unlocks, etc.

So how many "new" slots would be reasonable? 16 for me, to replicate what I had? or 10 for the usual crowd, or lucky crowd that didn't get shafted like I did?

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 05:04 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
They didn't add character slots before the free transfers. Why wait now?
I wish I could say I've been backed into a corner, but since I'm not a Bioware employee and am just as (un)knowledgable of the whys as the next guy... or gal ... I could only hazard a guess.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 05:06 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Sigh, for a game that touted the playing of "alts", the limit on per server was a disaster, I purposely left 2 slots open for "expansion", ie, new species/legacy unlocks, etc.

So how many "new" slots would be reasonable? 16 for me, to replicate what I had? or 10 for the usual crowd, or lucky crowd that didn't get shafted like I did?
Good question. Many have requested 16. What would work for you?

ClavisN
07.02.2012 , 05:09 PM | #108
24. But let me pay for everything above 16. It motivates Bioware to actually do it.

Roalmo
07.02.2012 , 05:10 PM | #109
Yes, for my situation, but I recognize others might have problems with that.. so paid transfers would also fix it(and probably sooner).

GalacticKegger
07.02.2012 , 05:12 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
Explain how stragglers would hinder the paid transfer service? They can still transfer. Destination servers are destination servers.

Players are subsribing and unsubscribing everyday. Server population changes everyday.

Players are rollling characters every day. Population balance changes everyday.
What about subscribers who went on summer vacation with their wife & kids? Or people who will resubscribe during the summer? Or in the fall? Or around the holidays? What will they come back to - especially if some servers are decommissioned and repurposed? Characters in limbo? Maybe some could not care less about it, but I think Bioware does care and is avoiding spaz mode while stuff sorts itself out. But that's just opinion.