Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.25.2012 , 05:29 PM | #21
did a double post by accident, ignore this part
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.25.2012 , 07:44 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Never said I was Alexander I'm just comparing what he had to go through with his army in order to take down the Persian Empire, when many thought it was a suicide mission they prevailed because they were determined and used brilliant tactics to out maneuver the enemy. Same can be said here, especially when many subscribers have lost faith in bioware due to this incident, sure server transfers don't keep track of names, but at least give us the option to change tactics and pick whatever name we want to be without the fear of loss, names are so hard to come by especially for those that have stood by those names since launch, they have worked hard for those names because they meant something to people like me.

Apparently you haven't played Pirates of the Burning Sea or Guild Wars, because they have a much better naming policy, and they happen to be MMO's, who would of thought? they aren't forced to change their names, because they offer the player the freedom to pick any name of their choice and really that's what it's all about.
there is nothing to compare. You're comparing the military tactics of an ancient era General in the meditteranean region to a customer service request in an online game.
If you think what you're doing is a "tactic", you've given yourself entirely too much credit.

Sure, some people may have "lost faith" with Bioware. Still many more have come back just thankful that they have a server to play on, regardless of if they had to keep their character or Legacy names or not. Overall its a net positive for them.

What "loss" are you really afraid of? Either you've already transferred your character(s) and have already lost anything that could potentially be lost, or you haven't and you have nothing to lose either way.
Once again, there is no "tactic" to be changed into how you pick your name. You pick a name you like or fits your character and your done.
To say that names are hard to come by is completly untrue. You have twenty six alphabetic characters and several grammatical character to use: There is no way there is a shortage on possible names (Unless you're trying to name your character after other Star Wars characters).
You didn't work any harder for your name than I did for mine. Don't be unrealistic about this. You used your digits, connected to your hands, connected to your arms, etc, and through the muscular and nervous system punched the keys on your keyboard and hit Enter to make your character. Just on physical expenditure of energy, you spend far energy deciding the characters class, species, and appearance, than you do their name.

I did play Burning Sea when it first came out....for a week. Most boring MMO game I've ever played, without a shadow of a doubt. As per its naming policy, that does not seem to be readily available on the public record, but I imagine that the policy, as far as what is or is not allowed is the same. The mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same.

The question is still out there by the way, how do you make this game act like that game while still keeping track of all the Legacy Rewards?
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

monkgryphon's Avatar


monkgryphon
06.25.2012 , 07:48 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
To monkgryphon and capitalbel:

If you rather hide and not be known because your unwilling to give out your legacy name well that is unfortunate however, there is an idea that if bioware goes through with this, they could add a feature where you can "add a friend/guild mailing list" therefore you will be automatically be added to everyone in your guild's or friend's mailing list without depending directly on your legacy name (updated the original post for more details)
What do you do when you have 2 or 5 people named John that choose not to show their legacy names? Have 5 Johns that you have no way to distinguish which is which on a mailing list?

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.26.2012 , 10:12 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
there is nothing to compare. You're comparing the military tactics of an ancient era General in the meditteranean region to a customer service request in an online game.
If you think what you're doing is a "tactic", you've given yourself entirely too much credit.

Sure, some people may have "lost faith" with Bioware. Still many more have come back just thankful that they have a server to play on, regardless of if they had to keep their character or Legacy names or not. Overall its a net positive for them.

What "loss" are you really afraid of? Either you've already transferred your character(s) and have already lost anything that could potentially be lost, or you haven't and you have nothing to lose either way.
Once again, there is no "tactic" to be changed into how you pick your name. You pick a name you like or fits your character and your done.
To say that names are hard to come by is completly untrue. You have twenty six alphabetic characters and several grammatical character to use: There is no way there is a shortage on possible names (Unless you're trying to name your character after other Star Wars characters).
You didn't work any harder for your name than I did for mine. Don't be unrealistic about this. You used your digits, connected to your hands, connected to your arms, etc, and through the muscular and nervous system punched the keys on your keyboard and hit Enter to make your character. Just on physical expenditure of energy, you spend far energy deciding the characters class, species, and appearance, than you do their name.

I did play Burning Sea when it first came out....for a week. Most boring MMO game I've ever played, without a shadow of a doubt. As per its naming policy, that does not seem to be readily available on the public record, but I imagine that the policy, as far as what is or is not allowed is the same. The mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same.

The question is still out there by the way, how do you make this game act like that game while still keeping track of all the Legacy Rewards?
I can't speak for everyone who has felt drafted because of the transfers, but when you pick a name any name it's suppose to stay with you, I've been with swtor since launch, I am a very loyal customer to bioware, but the matter of the fact is these names mean a great deal to most players, they are apart of the character's identity regardless of transfers, it was only a matter of time before they ended up forcing everyone to disband from our original servers anyways.

The naming process is a very difficult one, especially for those that take them seriously, sometimes it takes months to plan them only because they want the name to be iconic (like Obi-Wan Kenobi) only to have them taken away? How will my story ever be the same when I'm going by another name? It's not the same! You say POTBS mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same, yes I will agree to that but maybe it's time for Bioware to do the same with SWTOR, it needs more flexibility in it's naming policy.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.26.2012 , 10:21 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by monkgryphon View Post
What do you do when you have 2 or 5 people named John that choose not to show their legacy names? Have 5 Johns that you have no way to distinguish which is which on a mailing list?
only one John per server would be allowed to do so, having 2 or 5 johns hiding their legacy name would make things too complicated, unless you go by Jon instead of John then it would be accessable.

Or maybe it's just better off eliminating hiding legacy names altogether at least it wouldn't complicate things.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.26.2012 , 10:49 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
I can't speak for everyone who has felt drafted because of the transfers, but when you pick a name any name it's suppose to stay with you, I've been with swtor since launch, I am a very loyal customer to bioware, but the matter of the fact is these names mean a great deal to most players, they are apart of the character's identity regardless of transfers, it was only a matter of time before they ended up forcing everyone to disband from our original servers anyways.
I'm missing how loyalty has any relevance to the discussion at all. Sure I'm a loyal Bioware guy: picked up every game they've made since Knights of the Old Republic, and I wouldn't care at all if I lost my characters name.
I'm curious where you get this "Most" idea from, considering "Most" players aren't complaining about this openly on a net forum.
I will give you that a name is part of an identity, but it is not the WHOLE identity of the character. Overall I'd say its probably the most minor part of your overall character's experience, considering nobody actually calls you by your name.

Quote:
The naming process is a very difficult one, especially for those that take them seriously, sometimes it takes months to plan them only because they want the name to be iconic (like Obi-Wan Kenobi) only to have them taken away? How will my story ever be the same when I'm going by another name? It's not the same! You say POTBS mechanics may allow for greater flexibility, but the policy is the same, yes I will agree to that but maybe it's time for Bioware to do the same with SWTOR, it needs more flexibility in it's naming policy.
Months to plan? You've gotta be kidding me. That's either a gross exageration of facts, or just fanatical attention to something purely pointless. There is a difference between planning something out months in advance, and taking several months to plan.
Your name is completly seperate from the story. Anakin's past didn't magically change when he became Darth Vader, and Leia Organa didn't somehow stop being a princess when she took Solo's hand and name in marriage. Alice Cooper didn't change his entire personality and story when he changed his name from Vincent Furnier, nor did Marilyn Manson from Brian Warner.

I don't know how your skills are in attention to detail normally, but I've already covered all the problems mechanically about doing what you suggest and you completly ignore them, instead continuing on your sad sad song about how its just not the same and how much a simple name means to you.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.26.2012 , 11:13 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
I'm missing how loyalty has any relevance to the discussion at all. Sure I'm a loyal Bioware guy: picked up every game they've made since Knights of the Old Republic, and I wouldn't care at all if I lost my characters name.
I'm curious where you get this "Most" idea from, considering "Most" players aren't complaining about this openly on a net forum.
I will give you that a name is part of an identity, but it is not the WHOLE identity of the character. Overall I'd say its probably the most minor part of your overall character's experience, considering nobody actually calls you by your name.


Months to plan? You've gotta be kidding me. That's either a gross exageration of facts, or just fanatical attention to something purely pointless. There is a difference between planning something out months in advance, and taking several months to plan.
Your name is completly seperate from the story. Anakin's past didn't magically change when he became Darth Vader, and Leia Organa didn't somehow stop being a princess when she took Solo's hand and name in marriage. Alice Cooper didn't change his entire personality and story when he changed his name from Vincent Furnier, nor did Marilyn Manson from Brian Warner.

I don't know how your skills are in attention to detail normally, but I've already covered all the problems mechanically about doing what you suggest and you completly ignore them, instead continuing on your sad sad song about how its just not the same and how much a simple name means to you.
Proper naming of characters have to fit the story and portrayal, you don't just pick any name and go with it,
it doesn't work that way. You think George Lucas just picked any name and put it in his script for star wars? No, it took careful timing and consideration, samething can be said about Vincent Furnier when he picked Alice Cooper or Brian Warner to Marilyn Manson they didn't pick these names, they had to think it through and sometimes these take time to process, if it's days, weeks or months it varies.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.26.2012 , 11:27 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Proper naming of characters have to fit the story and portrayal, you don't just pick any name and go with it,
it doesn't work that way. You think George Lucas just picked any name and put it in his script for star wars? No, it took careful timing and consideration, samething can be said about Vincent Furnier when he picked Alice Cooper or Brian Warner to Marilyn Manson they didn't pick these names, they had to think it through and sometimes these take time to process, if it's days, weeks or months it varies.
Cooper and Manson both picked their stage names in a day, though it would take years (and alchoholism) for their names to be legally changed.

Considering Luke's last name changed several times in the writing process, I'd say George Lucas certainly didn't plan it out for MONTHS. Considering the name itself means nothing, and that all of the other names (Han, Leia, Lando, etc) were all made up, I would have to argue that "pick any name and go with it" is actually form and function in not just the world of Lucas, but Space Opera's and overall Fantasy as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
06.26.2012 , 12:48 PM | #29
How come every time someone posts a suggestion for a system that allows them to keep or get back their old names without infringing on the names of people already on the server it gets shot down with "It's not a big deal to change your name, get over it."?

If you want to critique his suggestion that's one thing (Legacy name hiding concerns, Legacy name confusion in the coding scheme are all perfectly valid critiques btw), but just because it's not an issue for you doesn't make it not an issue, and there were more than just the people who post on these forums who weren't happy about changing their names when they'd been in the game since day 1. For the record, it's not an issue for me. My server ended up being a destination server.

My favorite solution is still tying names to accounts so you have "Name@Account Name", but that still leaves plenty of confusion for the purposes of inviting, or just plain clunkiness in chat.

The perfect system where everyone is happy, with the possible exception of the BW employees who have to code the change, may exist. More likely no such system exists.

In either case BW is most likely to go with the path of least resistance and leave things as they stand now, and with the myriad of other issues that they need to address at the best of times, I find it hard to blame them.

My empathy kind of wanes here since I'll be honest and say I'd rather have them designing new content, fixing current issues, and overall making the game better than have them spending time figuring out, coding, debugging, and implementing a system to get people their names back when things are pretty much already a done deal.

Still, for those who continue to worry about it, I say keep posting and coming up with ideas. While they'll still almost certainly do nothing if you continue, they might eventually implement something just to shut you up. They'll definitely do nothing if everyone just moves on though.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.26.2012 , 05:10 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
How come every time someone posts a suggestion for a system that allows them to keep or get back their old names without infringing on the names of people already on the server it gets shot down with "It's not a big deal to change your name, get over it."?

If you want to critique his suggestion that's one thing (Legacy name hiding concerns, Legacy name confusion in the coding scheme are all perfectly valid critiques btw), but just because it's not an issue for you doesn't make it not an issue, and there were more than just the people who post on these forums who weren't happy about changing their names when they'd been in the game since day 1. For the record, it's not an issue for me. My server ended up being a destination server.

My favorite solution is still tying names to accounts so you have "Name@Account Name", but that still leaves plenty of confusion for the purposes of inviting, or just plain clunkiness in chat.

The perfect system where everyone is happy, with the possible exception of the BW employees who have to code the change, may exist. More likely no such system exists.

In either case BW is most likely to go with the path of least resistance and leave things as they stand now, and with the myriad of other issues that they need to address at the best of times, I find it hard to blame them.

My empathy kind of wanes here since I'll be honest and say I'd rather have them designing new content, fixing current issues, and overall making the game better than have them spending time figuring out, coding, debugging, and implementing a system to get people their names back when things are pretty much already a done deal.

Still, for those who continue to worry about it, I say keep posting and coming up with ideas. While they'll still almost certainly do nothing if you continue, they might eventually implement something just to shut you up. They'll definitely do nothing if everyone just moves on though.
I couldn't agree more, tying names to accounts is actually the best solution for all subscribers it will benefit everyone in the long run. I can't speak for everyone but like you said it may not be an issue for some players but in fact it matters to many of us, some even canceling their subs over it until it's resolved by bioware.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!