Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
A solution to the loss of names due to transfers

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.23.2012 , 01:32 PM | #1
For the past couple of weeks I've been going over suggestions and disputes concerning SWTOR's "naming policies" some have brought up the idea of using "alt codes" which I consider as a "cheat" which not only looks silly but it makes you look like an imposter, especially if you plan on using the name Bąstila as a username or skywalkźr as a legacy name. While others have accepted "the first come, first serve" policy that bioware has to offer, but there are those that take alot of pride in both our usernames & legacy names based on the fact those names had meaning behind the story that we had endorsed to those characters and now it's meaningless because our identities have been stripped away.

What is the solution?

-use the combination of Name & Legacy into user account, we can have different users with the name John, and many users with the legacy name Smith, there is just one catch, there can only be one John Smith per server, while other players can go by Joe Smith or John Doe

(It's a fact that MMO's like "Pirates of the Burning Sea" and "Guild Wars" use a similar naming pattern for their players)

What about when it comes to inviting players to social groups for warzones or flashpoints?

-Simple...Just right click on the name being displayed on general, private and/or guild chat for an invitation, and when you do type in the name John the display will offer hints of legacy names that share that name on which john you wish to invite

Ok what about the mailing system? how will that work?

-Whenever you type in a name when your trying to compose a message to a friend or a friendly player, it displays hints on what you are referring to, lets say I'm trying to mail John Smith, the display marker will hint out there are other players named John, such as John Doe, but that's where legacy name comes in handy because there can only be one John Smith, and another player by the name of Joe Smith.

Don't want your legacy name to be revealed?

nicknames would be an interesting feature to add to the legacy system, remember Ben Kenobi went by Obi Wan Kenobi, which could be used to recognize each individual player while one player is named John Smith, with another player going by the name of Jon Smith on the same server, this feature could also be used on players that prefer to hide their legacy name making it easier to recognize them.

Won't this be too confusing?

-Why would it? it worked successfully in POTBS, this could be another step in the right direction for the legacy system, take family tree's for example we can add our own siblings and rivals but what if we could add another player as a sibling with the same legacy name? Or what if a female character could have her legacy name changed if she married a male character/player? There are so many ways this could work out for bioware and the average player!
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Warrgames's Avatar


Warrgames
06.23.2012 , 01:48 PM | #2
Out of all the ideas I have read dealing this issue yours is the best one.

FearghalC's Avatar


FearghalC
06.23.2012 , 09:04 PM | #3
I like this idea. Would mean that legacy would need to be given to users at account creation though, which I'm also OK with.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.24.2012 , 01:08 PM | #4
Thanks for the support guys, keep the replies coming!

It's unfortunate that we had to go through such a harsh process due to transfers, being forced to change our identities is never a easy thing to do. We need to stand together to get our point across to Bioware, because really this is a serious issue that cannot be ignored any longer, many of us have canceled our subs in order to protest against this injustice.

The matter of the fact is uniqueness isn't always the best route to go, it's about selection and choice that always has the upper hand.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

MajikMyst's Avatar


MajikMyst
06.24.2012 , 01:26 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Thanks for the support guys, keep the replies coming!

It's unfortunate that we had to go through such a harsh process due to transfers, being forced to change our identities is never a easy thing to do. We need to stand together to get our point across to Bioware, because really this is a serious issue that cannot be ignored any longer, many of us have canceled our subs in order to protest against this injustice.

The matter of the fact is uniqueness isn't always the best route to go, it's about selection and choice that always has the upper hand.
I am sure Bioware got the point.. But on the same token, when are we supposed to act like adults and realize this is just a video game and we could just make up a new name.. Not make thread after thread after thread QQ'ing about how someone stole their name.. I know I know.. Always a lvl 1 and an inactive player too.. I know cause I did a search on /who and he hasn't played in 6 hours.. Give me a break..

There is no naming issue.. There are countless people that attempt to name their characters and legacy from the movies.. All of them should lose their names.. We don't need 9000 versions of Luke Skywalker.. Or 2000 versions of Bastila Shan.. If that is the best that some people can come up with.. They deserve to lose their name..

The best solution is that people learn to come up with original names.. I didn't lose any names when I transfered.. Didn't lose my legacy either.. People also need to change the spelling of their names..

Silvana
Sylvana
Syl'vana
Sil'vana

It isn't hard.. It isn't rocket science.. I am sure that 95% of the people can just change a single letter and keep their original name..

Another thing people can do is create test characters on the new server.. Deal with the naming issue before they move.. Instead of blaming everything on Bioware.. I created place holders for all my characters before I moved..

1: Was to just see if any names were taken.. Which they weren't..
2: Just to hold the names until I was actually ready to move.. I had to move a guild as well..

If there is a naming conflict, they can sit and create a replacement before they even transfer.. This is all easy stuff..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.24.2012 , 02:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
I am sure Bioware got the point.. But on the same token, when are we supposed to act like adults and realize this is just a video game and we could just make up a new name.. Not make thread after thread after thread QQ'ing about how someone stole their name.. I know I know.. Always a lvl 1 and an inactive player too.. I know cause I did a search on /who and he hasn't played in 6 hours.. Give me a break..

There is no naming issue.. There are countless people that attempt to name their characters and legacy from the movies.. All of them should lose their names.. We don't need 9000 versions of Luke Skywalker.. Or 2000 versions of Bastila Shan.. If that is the best that some people can come up with.. They deserve to lose their name..

The best solution is that people learn to come up with original names.. I didn't lose any names when I transfered.. Didn't lose my legacy either.. People also need to change the spelling of their names..

Silvana
Sylvana
Syl'vana
Sil'vana

It isn't hard.. It isn't rocket science.. I am sure that 95% of the people can just change a single letter and keep their original name..

Another thing people can do is create test characters on the new server.. Deal with the naming issue before they move.. Instead of blaming everything on Bioware.. I created place holders for all my characters before I moved..

1: Was to just see if any names were taken.. Which they weren't..
2: Just to hold the names until I was actually ready to move.. I had to move a guild as well..

If there is a naming conflict, they can sit and create a replacement before they even transfer.. This is all easy stuff..
With all due respect, but wouldn't names like 'Roger, Geo'gina, and Sil'vana feel like a cheat? They are no better than the 'alt codes' that I listed above, they should all be removed from the system entirely.

It should be 'Letters' only in any name no exceptions!
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.24.2012 , 06:29 PM | #7
And in the case where someone has the exact same main and Legacy name? or has no legacy name? or perhaps you're trying to send it someone that chooses not to display their Legacy.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.24.2012 , 06:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
And in the case where someone has the exact same main and Legacy name? or has no legacy name? or perhaps you're trying to send it someone that chooses not to display their Legacy.
Like I said above, there can only be one John Smith per server, but there can be another player by the name of Joe Smith, or John Doe etc

Pirates of the Burning Sea has a similar naming design and it works perfectly, if you don't want to reveal your legacy name from sight that's fine, but in order to send a message you need their legacy to clarify that name.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

Darth_Halford's Avatar


Darth_Halford
06.24.2012 , 07:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Like I said above, there can only be one John Smith per server, but there can be another player by the name of Joe Smith, or John Doe etc

Pirates of the Burning Sea has a similar naming design and it works perfectly, if you don't want to reveal your legacy name from sight that's fine, but in order to send a message you need their legacy to clarify that name.
which, correct me if I'm wrong, you wouldn't know if the person doesn't choose to tell you?
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

RaithHarth's Avatar


RaithHarth
06.24.2012 , 07:48 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
which, correct me if I'm wrong, you wouldn't know if the person doesn't choose to tell you?
Every username and legacy associated with that name would be in the mailing database, if I type in a name to mail to then a series of display markers will hint their legacy name. If that person doesn't want to reveal his legacy out to the public then why not just send a private message to the person that's mailing you? so he or she knows they are mailing the right person!
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!