Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's with the ship sizes?


twotimingpete's Avatar


twotimingpete
06.13.2012 , 10:56 PM | #11
getting the feeling a lot of people here have very very VERY poor reading comprehension.

look at the EXTERIOR IMAGE I linked showing han solo on top of the falcon.

then go look at the EXTERIOR of your ship in the hangar, particularly the smuggler ship.

the size is not even remotely the same. not even remotely.

Dubaco's Avatar


Dubaco
06.13.2012 , 11:01 PM | #12
I agree. But I would like to point something else out. Everything is huge in mmos. I have no idea why. You just get used to it... And that's a bad thing. Try going back to kotor. Then look at swtor's cantina... they are like 10 meters tall.
If you use your camera point of view from very far, you will notice how big everything is. You are like and ant compared to the enviroment.

Why do they do this? Why can't mmos have a comparable size to singleplayer games?

Sylverdyne's Avatar


Sylverdyne
06.13.2012 , 11:10 PM | #13
Two points here:

One: The picture you posted is of a prop in the movie. They didn't have the sets for the Falcon inside that thing. The scale in the movie is WRONG. Sorry, but the sets as shot and the exterior of the ship don't fit. The exterior shots in the films are too small for the known interior shots. Hell, would Han even fit in that cockpit as shown? I love star wars and all, but there are a few flaws in the films, such as this.

Two: the reason that everything feels 'huge' on the interiors is that the ceilings everywhere are WAY high, to accommodate a third person camera. This leads to having all player accessible areas having inflated sizes, compared to real life. It's a result of the genre, sorry.

SpazCats's Avatar


SpazCats
06.13.2012 , 11:18 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylverdyne View Post
Two points here:

One: The picture you posted is of a prop in the movie. They didn't have the sets for the Falcon inside that thing. The scale in the movie is WRONG. Sorry, but the sets as shot and the exterior of the ship don't fit. The exterior shots in the films are too small for the known interior shots. Hell, would Han even fit in that cockpit as shown? I love star wars and all, but there are a few flaws in the films, such as this.
I have to agree with this. The scale seems very wrong in that photo you linked twotimingpete.

Personally, I love my ship size. It's impressive, and that's the way I like it. It also has to house all my crew as well, so it seems about right. There's no bathroom though...

Talarchy's Avatar


Talarchy
06.13.2012 , 11:19 PM | #15
I think my sith ship is a perfect size, i just wish I could use more than 1 or 2 parts of it, its pretty useless unless you spend a tonne on legacy perks
Re-subscribed SWTOR.. my server is empty and I can't pay for a transfer. Woo hoo, thanks bioware.

Liquidacid's Avatar


Liquidacid
06.13.2012 , 11:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SpazCats View Post
I have to agree with this. The scale seems very wrong in that photo you linked twotimingpete.

Personally, I love my ship size. It's impressive, and that's the way I like it. It also has to house all my crew as well, so it seems about right. There's no bathroom though...
a restroom has never been shown in SW... they talk about "refreshers" in the EU but that's about it

I just assume they poop in bags and flush them out the airlock
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Igax's Avatar


Igax
06.13.2012 , 11:29 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylverdyne View Post
Two points here:

One: The picture you posted is of a prop in the movie. They didn't have the sets for the Falcon inside that thing. The scale in the movie is WRONG. Sorry, but the sets as shot and the exterior of the ship don't fit. The exterior shots in the films are too small for the known interior shots. Hell, would Han even fit in that cockpit as shown? I love star wars and all, but there are a few flaws in the films, such as this.

Two: the reason that everything feels 'huge' on the interiors is that the ceilings everywhere are WAY high, to accommodate a third person camera. This leads to having all player accessible areas having inflated sizes, compared to real life. It's a result of the genre, sorry.
They have Time Lord technology! It is bigger on the inside!
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoenixStar
Yeah my eyes bugged out when I saw how many servers there are. Hopefully the population doesn't get spread too thin.

twotimingpete's Avatar


twotimingpete
06.13.2012 , 11:41 PM | #18
that IS canon for the size of the millenium falcon. even watch the battle scenes. it's a bit larger than a fighter. it led the fighter squadron.

it is NOT the size of an aircraft carrier, which is what I have in SWTOR. it's ridiculous and makes it feel like a giant building rather than a cozy personal ship.

Liquidacid's Avatar


Liquidacid
06.13.2012 , 11:45 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by twotimingpete View Post
that IS canon for the size of the millenium falcon. even watch the battle scenes. it's a bit larger than a fighter. it led the fighter squadron.

it is NOT the size of an aircraft carrier, which is what I have in SWTOR. it's ridiculous and makes it feel like a giant building rather than a cozy personal ship.
if you think your in game ship is the size of an aircraft carrier you have never seen a real aircraft carrier
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

lordofdamornin's Avatar


lordofdamornin
06.14.2012 , 12:03 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by twotimingpete View Post
getting the feeling a lot of people here have very very VERY poor reading comprehension.

look at the EXTERIOR IMAGE I linked showing han solo on top of the falcon.

then go look at the EXTERIOR of your ship in the hangar, particularly the smuggler ship.

the size is not even remotely the same. not even remotely.
You need to watch Empire Strikes Back again. Both the escape from Hoth, and Cloud City landing pad scenes were shot using a full scale model of the Falcon, and those are the only two shots it was used. It still exists, btw, if you cared to know.

It's big. Very similar to the smuggler ship, in fact. The X-wings and Y-wings too, are larger than what you seem to think they are.

Also - sometime in the year before the game launched, it was stated that the ships are a 1:1 ratio. What they meant by this (and also stated), is that the exterior of the ship is constructed so that it looks like it would actually hold what you see while inside it.

Rit