Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why all the complaining? I just don't get it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why all the complaining? I just don't get it.

Letallis's Avatar


Letallis
06.11.2012 , 01:04 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by FlippinFlapJack View Post
I am sick and tired of people saying how sick and tired they are of me posting how sick and tired I am in these forums. Unsubbed.
See... told you.
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

z-monty's Avatar


z-monty
06.11.2012 , 01:16 PM | #12
The best thing you can do on these forums is to just ignore all the QQing that goes on. I know that it's literally everywhere and it can sometimes drive me insane, but you learn the hard way that trying to make a valid argument over the internet can go no where fast.

If you just be the helpful person and answer questions that people have about an ability or rotation, you'll find yourself becoming sane again. Best thing you can do is just ignore anyone who's obviously complaining about every little detail and move on.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
No, I'm not a big fan of the Queen or Royal Family, but yes, I do love tea.
Well played CS... well played

Cylluz's Avatar


Cylluz
06.11.2012 , 03:21 PM | #13
People who are not pleased with the game or some aspect of it come here to *****. Those of us who enjoy the game play it.

MrGrizzly's Avatar


MrGrizzly
06.11.2012 , 03:41 PM | #14
It comes down to the fact that there is a loud minority of people who think they are entitled to have everything, their way, NOW and cannot be convinced by logic or hard proof that they are only entitled to what they are paying for as outlined in the EULA of the game.

Threatening to unsub doesn’t make your point more important to Bioware. Putting out a reasonable post that draws attention to an issue in a polite manner is more likely to get noticed and addressed. The loud minority do it so obnoxiously that their message is lost in the noise of the delivery and even if they had the solution coded right into their post I doubt the forum readers at Bioware would even get far enough into the message to notice.

Must suck going through life with the attitude these people illustrate in their posts.
MrGrizzly
http://www.torverse.com
The TORVerse Podcast

Scorpienne's Avatar


Scorpienne
06.11.2012 , 04:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MrGrizzly View Post
It comes down to the fact
I don't know who you are. i don't know what server you're on. You are one of the genuinely nicest and most reasonable people in this entire crazy online community. That's about like being the best surfer in Ohio, but whatever. Thank you for being a voice of reason around here.


Paige

Summjedi's Avatar


Summjedi
06.11.2012 , 08:02 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by FlippinFlapJack View Post
There are people who would complain even if they got everything they ever wanted. Its just part of their nature. There will always be whiners, criminals, pacifists, type A personalities, hippies, yuppies and vets killing puppies.
Most importantly, it's human nature that while a tiny subset of folks who like the game might be motivated to post, almost every single person with a complaint will be motivated to do so.

First career job, back in the 80's, warned us that happy people tell an average of three people; unhappy people tell an average of 15 people. At a 5 to 1 ratio, 80% customer satisfaction will SOUND like 50%. 20% unhappy make as much noise as 80% happy do. That was just word of mouth. Nowadays the internet allows unhappy folks the ability to shout at the entire world, while happy folks are too busy playing the game to care about the forums.

P.S. I love the game, but my usual group has been ambushed by real life, and I don't want to get out of synch. That means surfing the forums while I wait.

bobojoerat's Avatar


bobojoerat
06.11.2012 , 09:31 PM | #17
Sadly MrGrizzly being polite and quietly explaining your issue gets you no where with BW and EA. They chose to launch a game that pre-loaded guilds on servers, in my case Vornskr with my guild Semi Serious Sith which is comprised of mainly Australians with some US players, we have gamed together for years playing WOW, Rift, COD and now SWTOR. So when BA finally opened up oceanic servers did they offer to let all of a guild move. No they chose to ignore the fact that guilds can have people from all regions who want to play together. So now I and my legacy is stuck on a dead server that BW placed me on with my guild, although my guild has now moved to Dalborra. So do you think BW gives two cents about breaking up a guild, and leaving some of us sitting on a dead server. I would say no, I have contacted them several times and they don't get it saying things like soon you will be able to switch servers. Do you think Dalborra is going to be a destination server for a west coast server. Of course not, so I will not just sit by and say wow what a great game, what great customer service, I love SWTOR. Instead I ask that before you complain about the "whiners" and claim that being polite and reasonable will get people somewhere I ask that you consider my situation. BW could fix my issue today if they wanted to, they have proven they can move toons from Vorn to Dalborra, they just choose not too and no doubt will gladly charge me to move my legacy in about 6 months or so. That's looking out for your gamers, encouraging Guild and a sense of community BW style.

Quote: Originally Posted by MrGrizzly View Post
It comes down to the fact that there is a loud minority of people who think they are entitled to have everything, their way, NOW and cannot be convinced by logic or hard proof that they are only entitled to what they are paying for as outlined in the EULA of the game.

Threatening to unsub doesn’t make your point more important to Bioware. Putting out a reasonable post that draws attention to an issue in a polite manner is more likely to get noticed and addressed. The loud minority do it so obnoxiously that their message is lost in the noise of the delivery and even if they had the solution coded right into their post I doubt the forum readers at Bioware would even get far enough into the message to notice.

Must suck going through life with the attitude these people illustrate in their posts.
Darth Vader! What is best in life?
Bobojoerat: To crush ewoks, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Darth Vader: That is good! That is good.

Sammm's Avatar


Sammm
06.11.2012 , 10:28 PM | #18
Hey, at least here you can ignore them. Imagine the coworkers or the family members who have to cope with them... on a daily basis!!!

Satans_Chosen's Avatar


Satans_Chosen
06.11.2012 , 11:50 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by bobojoerat View Post
Sadly MrGrizzly being polite and quietly explaining your issue gets you no where with BW and EA...
This sounds like a genuine problem. BW/EA should have offered entire guilds the option to transfer to Oceanic servers instead of just individual players. I hope they eventually offer everyone one free server transfer (space permitting) to address that oversight.

I don't see nearly as many flaming posts on the General forum as I did a few months ago. SWTOR came out, what, 12/20 of last year? People who subscribed for 1 and 3 months and found the game wanting have left. Give it a couple more months, MrGrizzly. Once the 6 monther's subs expire, they will leave too. I think most flame posts come from people who hate the game but whose money has been sunk due to unfulfilled expectations of the game. Some of them feel trapped. They don't want to play the game but don't want to feel they are just donating the reminder of their subscription to BW/EA. So, they come to the forums to exercise the only remaining benefit of their purchase: posting their complaints. As long as they don't violate the EULA, there is really nothing to be done.

Just ignore them. Once everyone's initial subscription runs out, only a few complainer who resubscribe for the purpose of grieving others will remain. Then the remaining SWTOR can look for actions that will stop those posts and maybe ban the haters from the game.
Precise, Complete, Succinct

Starhugger's Avatar


Starhugger
06.12.2012 , 06:31 AM | #20
Hah I haven't thought about the 6 monthers, you might be right. As I don't like to read all the negativity all the time valid or not, now I have something to look forward to... I'm gessing I'll pay for six months myself if the community sorts itself out