Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
01.24.2013 , 12:29 PM | #5531
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Pondering an idea? The poster indicated that "[They'd] like to see representation...". I'm VERY interested in what they mean by that statement in terms of execution. Are we talking about a completely new gender class? Are we talking about removing the gender class and clothing restrictions? Are we talking about simple verbal/text acknowledgements of the existence of these groups and allowing each player to use their imagination with respect to their own (and other) characters?

I lack hostility on such matters, and I'm not going to apologize to anyone for jumping from pondering an idea to pondering an execution.
I wasn't asking for Bioware to do it in this game, as to me to do it properly one would require three stages of basic character creation, which would require an over-haul of the current system, which would not be feasible of Star Wars: The Old Republic, nor something necessarily warranted.

As to execution? Isn't good I have such an active imagination?

First Stage:
Biological Sex - Female, Male or Intersex

Second Stage:
Gender - Female, Male, Agender or Bigender (and perhaps Gender-fluid, but I've not done any reading on Queer Theory or Gender Studies to be able to define gender-fluid adequately)

Third Stage:
Gender Presentation - This is where the idea becomes more nuanced and would require more research on my part, but would cover what clothes you wear and which pronouns you prefer to be called, if that's not part of the Second Stage)

Also, gender class restrictions? There aren't any in this game - each gender can be each class. Gender clothing restrictions (and presentations) should be loosened anyway - I like the bandage effect of some of the robes that male characters get to wear, but on female characters these bandages are mysteriously absent.

SithKoriandr
01.24.2013 , 01:33 PM | #5532
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Maybe you should actually read what we were talking about. We weren't asking for anything, merely pondering an idea.

I also love how everybody is so worried about Bioware's 'ressources' all the time, but only when it comes to LGBT stuff.
That's because judging from ME3, male and male pairing was so underused by the playerbase. Do you think the majority of the playerbase want them to focus on adding it for what is basically a very small percentage of the player bases desire, when there are other things a bigger majority of the player base would use?

I forgot the exact percentage, but for ME3, 82-87% of the players chose male Shepard.

I'd love LOVE for them to add a more femine/bishi looking male body type as an option, and I'd love for them to add cross dressing for me to use along with it, but I know I'm in the minority of the playerbase for that, and while I want it, I can be honest with myself and say it'd likely be an underused option.

And I'm all for more options. Make SGR an option! I want my MMO to have so many options I can't use them all! As someone who makes characters based on actual concepts and not "It has to be me in real life or nothing" I want this!

But I go back to statistics and realize it's not always going to be cost effective.

That said, they're adding them anyways, and it's up to those in this forum to show them if it's cost effective to go back and make those changes. So play the hell out of Makeb and choose those SGR options! Get all your friends to choose them. Prove to them (playerbase and BW/EA) that it will be so worth their time and effort and will indeed show a big payoff. What would also likely help, is if those who do choose SGR options show themselves to be the biggest spendors on the Cartel Market. So do that too!

Lent_San
01.24.2013 , 02:50 PM | #5533
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
That's because judging from ME3, male and male pairing was so underused by the playerbase. Do you think the majority of the playerbase want them to focus on adding it for what is basically a very small percentage of the player bases desire, when there are other things a bigger majority of the player base would use?
I would love to read your statistics on that.

But that takes us back to the chicken and egg situation. Games that are targeted at the male straight gamer will most likely have the male straight gamer as their key fanbase. As David Gaider has put it so eloquently: "Game companies should stop treating 47% of players as an added bonus".

I kind of dig the man.

Tatile
01.24.2013 , 03:01 PM | #5534
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I would love to read your statistics on that.

But that takes us back to the chicken and egg situation. Games that are targeted at the male straight gamer will most likely have the male straight gamer as their key fanbase. As David Gaider has put it so eloquently: "Game companies should stop treating 47% of players as an added bonus".

I kind of dig the man.
That's the thing, if you concentrate on the "majority" because they're your typical buyers (because they've always been your typical buyers) then of course the minority isn't going to get anything and of course they'll stay the minority and eventually disappear, because they'll stop buying your product and you aren't catering to them.

If straight, white cis-men are the largest audience and you only target straight, white cis-men then of course only straight white cis-men are going to buy the game and everyone is a minority.

It's stupid to say you want a product everyone can enjoy, then only target a very narrow group.

iamthehoyden
01.24.2013 , 03:19 PM | #5535
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It's stupid to say you want a product everyone can enjoy, then only target a very narrow group.
<jumping in real quick> I'd also say that if a company wants to expand their customer base (and what company doesn't want that?) then it would behoove them to include elements that would appeal to people outside their traditional market. It makes sense, from a business perspective, to do this. Providing equal treatment in the romance options (in terms of numbers and quality) for straight female gamers and LBGTQ gamers is not just about equality, or good marketing, but also about expanding the customer base, which can have significant impacts on the bottom line.

I think it's very unfortunate that BW decided not to take this route to begin with. Missed a massive opportunity.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Tatile
01.24.2013 , 03:24 PM | #5536
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I think it's very unfortunate that BW decided not to take this route to begin with. Missed a massive opportunity.
I know, right? I work in a clothing store that is fairly obviously targeted at women (our biggest department is women's clothing and there are separate departments for accessories, whereas men's and children's stuff is lumped together), but it still sells clothing for men because it's profitable.

It wouldn't make much sense to open a clothing store, only stock clothing for women and then wonder why men aren't shopping there. So why make a game for everyone and only target one group?

JediMB
01.24.2013 , 03:52 PM | #5537
I think I have a problem.

I created my (female) Sith Sorcerer with the intention of playing her as an asexual character. Then, once I'd left Korriban, I started basically roleplaying that she is in love with Lord Zash, but doesn't know how to express it. I figured betrayal is inevitable, so that could be pretty interesting. That works.

But now I just picked up Andronikos, and he's fantastic. (And he's Wolverine.) And... the urge to flirt with him is overwhelming. '-'
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Tatile
01.24.2013 , 04:01 PM | #5538
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post

I created my (female) Sith Sorcerer with the intention of playing her as an asexual character. Then, once I'd left Korriban, I started basically roleplaying that she is in love with Lord Zash, but doesn't know how to express it. I figured betrayal is inevitable, so that could be pretty interesting. That works.

But now I just picked up Andronikos, and he's fantastic. (And he's Wolverine.) And... the urge to flirt with him is overwhelming. '-'
Nothing wrong with that - Andronikos fulfills needs that your Sorcerer has that she can't get from Lord Zash and she's just using him until something better comes along. Or is that a bit cynical of me?

SithKoriandr
01.24.2013 , 04:41 PM | #5539
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I know, right? I work in a clothing store that is fairly obviously targeted at women (our biggest department is women's clothing and there are separate departments for accessories, whereas men's and children's stuff is lumped together), but it still sells clothing for men because it's profitable.

It wouldn't make much sense to open a clothing store, only stock clothing for women and then wonder why men aren't shopping there. So why make a game for everyone and only target one group?
Using that logic. What makes you think the clothing stores that only sell women clothing are wondering "Why don't men shop here?" They don't.

So what makes you think the games companies are wondering the same thing?

SithKoriandr
01.24.2013 , 04:46 PM | #5540
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post

She has her eyes on Zash, then Andronikus comes around, and he's so yummy and fantastic, that maybe she's wanting to see where this goes (if anywhere) untill she either decides Andronikus is the one, or that no, she'll wait untill she has the nerve (ie...it's implemented in game) or to say something or Zash (again when it's implemented in game) says something.

But now your post makes me want to have them make Zash become a future possible companion, even tho I think my SI is happy with Androkinus, cause I'd just like the option in there now.