Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Caelrie
01.15.2013 , 02:04 AM | #5271
Quote: Originally Posted by leghato View Post
Definitely excited over SGR, why you ask? Cause I'm going to save money. The demand for same gender relationships is trash. That's not what SW is about.... I believe bioware delving into politics and social issues outside of the SW lore is outright crazy. This story wasn't created to be a tool for that. The story is a hero story, one that triumphs over overwhelming odds that is the empire. Sorry I don't remember Vader wearing pumps in the original trilogy. And before you go nuts on me for saying I'm anti-gay (which I'm not, I just laugh at all these fools who believe in love) or some other hate speech, look at yourself; you probably call yourself tolerant. That tolerance probably only lasts up until you meet someone differing from the views that you hold dear. With that being said, since Bioware has decided to take the same steps of Lucas and distort what was a great story, I shall remove my financial support once this feature is implemented.
I don't see anything political about it.

Kioma
01.15.2013 , 03:46 AM | #5272
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
A lot of good points but one sticks out: 'say nice things.' We tried that. For a long time we tried nice things. It got us exactly nothing. We only got one question answered at the Summit because it was sprung on the dev team.

No, I don't think they're out to get us, nor that they're inherently homophobic or even bad people. I'm sure they were overwhelmed at what it takes to run an MMO and underestimated the scope of their project - but communication with the pro-SGRA crowd was horribly mismanaged and there's no way around that.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
01.15.2013 , 07:09 AM | #5273
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
No, I don't think they're out to get us, nor that they're inherently homophobic or even bad people. I'm sure they were overwhelmed at what it takes to run an MMO and underestimated the scope of their project - but communication with the pro-SGRA crowd was horribly mismanaged and there's no way around that.
Actually they're doing a good job of ignoring that their own horrible inability to communicate to or acknowledge their customers, which is a pretty easy of getting around the fact that they have horrible communication and don't really acknowledge their customers. Bioware were merely exceptional in their handling of the SGRA topic - truly stunning.

There's no incentive to be nice someone who ignores you and passively allows others to demean and bully you. Joveth's reaction to the idea of getting baked goods says a lot of how Bioware treats this topic, I think.

It's also terribly nice of them to continue posting in here and discussing with us what's happening with the SGR [Flirt]s on Makeb, though. Really appreciate all your information, Bioware. You're doing a great job. I am in awe.

Lent_San
01.15.2013 , 07:14 AM | #5274
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
A lot of good points but one sticks out: 'say nice things.' We tried that. For a long time we tried nice things. It got us exactly nothing. We only got one question answered at the Summit because it was sprung on the dev team.
I see it was a great idea to type out a response to this while the forums were going down. *coughs* Thoughtful, well articulated post gone. Now what was it I wanted to say?...

I agree with the mismanagement of communication. I think this was a root cause for this issue to "explode" like it did, and not only with pro-SGR people but anti-SGR people as well.

Basically it's usually not only gamers disappointed with implemented or announced content making a fuss, but also other gamers who don't belong to that particular fraction, trying to fan the flames, under the motto "If they get what they wanted and I don't (no matter whether it was announced a long time ago), I'm sure as heck gonna make them all feel miserable and bad for it." We've seen that happen often enough during the past few days, unfortunately.

I think the internet, or rather open boards and forums, are really not the best communication tools for mature communication between devs and gamers.
Due to ressources being limited, people constantly have the feeling of having to compete with others for the dev's attention. That creates noise in itself. Mix a misplaced gag order in there, and you have a conspiracy theory at hand that's hard to get back on track once it's out there.

I think what we must strive for is more open communication. Maybe investing into other communication tools, other than public forums and marketing research.

On the internets, unfortunately, we sometimes turn into our own three-year old selves, while in the real world we're sensible and reasonable people, well capable of constructive and thoughtful discussion. I guess that applies to gamers and devs alike.

My first post was better, but now I'm running out of time. Meh.

Tatile
01.15.2013 , 07:18 AM | #5275
At this point I'd like it if Bioware would do something to clear the bad air - just open up and talk about why they had such crappy communication on this subject in particular, why they decided it wasn't important enough to actually develop at the same time as OGRA's (because obviously, that decision was made) and why they felt that a gag order was necessary.

Never going to happen, of course. That would be the mature and responsible thing to do.

DarkTrooperV
01.15.2013 , 07:41 AM | #5276
Found this on my favorite website:

http://kotaku.com/5975904/biowares-h...hat-surprising

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-ghetto-planet

Don't know if they've been posted or not.
Click my referral link! http://www.swtor.com/r/2S5MBn

Lent_San
01.15.2013 , 07:57 AM | #5277
Quote:
"Whilst Bioware has a good track record of offering non-heterosexual romance options in its games, attracting the ire of religious and homophobic groups for the inclusion of SGR in the Mass Effect series and its plans to do so for Star Wars, the decision to restrict them solely to Makeb for the time being has upset many who had campaigned for their introduction. As a result, Bioware and EA have been accused of marginalising, ghettoising or segregating non-heterosexual romance."
Who ever said that?

I'm sure I didn't see any of those responses here, or maybe I'm snowblind to stuff already.

SithKoriandr
01.15.2013 , 08:03 AM | #5278
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
Wrong thread. Take this to the Suggestion Box.

You're off-topic.
To be fair, hasn't the thread been off topic from the OP for awhile now?

Lent_San
01.15.2013 , 08:11 AM | #5279
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
At this point I'd like it if Bioware would do something to clear the bad air - just open up and talk about why they had such crappy communication on this subject in particular, why they decided it wasn't important enough to actually develop at the same time as OGRA's (because obviously, that decision was made) and why they felt that a gag order was necessary.
I'd support that. Not sure it's gonna happen though.
Would be great to get some more insight though, finally.

markcymru
01.15.2013 , 08:13 AM | #5280
SithKoriandr, I quote myself:
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
This thread was originally about asking for clarification about when (and if possible, how) SGRs were going to be implemented. It still is, because as time goes on and SGRs don’t appear for companions, we’re going to want more clarification.

In the meantime, however, as you well know, the scope of this thread has become fuzzy, at the behest of the mods. So now it’s also a place for discussing how SGRs could be implemented (and all the myriad details that that entails). In this thread the debates are now about what to do vis-à-vis SGR-implementation. Anti-SGR players are welcome to come and debate those details if they want to. They’re not welcome to come and rail against actually implementing SGRs (and I include in that comment all the sneaky ways that that type of poster has to try to argue against SGRs). Not that anti-SGR types don’t come here anyway to speak against SGRs – but they’re clearly off-topic and rude.

The other thread is explicitly a place for the anti-SGR crowd to rail against SGRs. Hence it is also the place where that issue is debated. So long as posters stick to the topic and politely/respectfully debate the point ‘SGRs should not be included’, they should be welcome in that thread (but not here).
“The comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.” — Lewis's Law