Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma
01.14.2013 , 04:46 AM | #5231
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
That men are stubborn and intractable, and incapable of change?
>.>

No, that male companion stories aren't worth putting morality mechanics into along the order of Jaesa-style decision-making.

Ultimately I don't like that idea any better, though. The idea that my PCs are the sole moral guide to their companions really just rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it that I'm the ultimate arbiter of their moralities? Aren't they people unto themselves? Don't they have a will of their own?

I have never liked it. I hated it in NWN, I hated it in KotOR. Even if it hadn't just been Aribeth and Bastilla it had happened for (say it was Galen and/or Carth), I still would have hated it.
<shrugs> In the Star Wars universe people - good people, righteous people - are corruptible by the Dark Side and redeemable by the Light Side. In the majority of the cases where a Force-using companion comes onto the PC's team it's as a peripheral or outright student position. A Force-user's Master certainly should be able to make an impact on their morality compass. That's one of the reasons I think that stretching something like that out over an entire chapter would be better. While hers is the only of its kind I've seen with Jaesa it's essentially one or two decisions in as many encounters that make all the difference. Now imagine her having her moral compass guided (or bent) over the course of a whole chapter. Imagine a Dark Side JK bending Kira, or a Light Side JC fending off Dark Side temptation to protect Nadia from corruption as she learns what it is and how to defend against it herself.

THAT is the kind of moral compass story I could get into.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Lent_San
01.14.2013 , 05:00 AM | #5232
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
see, I've been saying that the entiiiire time that he doesn't seem to be 'all that straight', he is just the typical 'gentleman-farmboy' with a female smuggler and all 'bro bro' with the male one. and there are more than enough 'minor hints'. I feel with you, no doubt. it's making me all grrr and arrr that it's just not going to happen any time soon (outside my head, anyway)
I know, I know.

I'm thinking that Corso being all protective of girls is because of what happened with Rona, how he feels responsible for that even though he was still a child when she left.

I agree those hints are there and I'm really trying my best not to read into stuff too much. Even the little lines he utters when you accidentally click on him, some of them sound rather.... intimate.

I wish we could replay the dialogues. Some of them fly by and you're like "Wait... what? What did he just say?" and then it's over.

I have a good feeling about him. Now the waiting is a different matter.

My guess is it may take them another year to implement companion SGR options, given they're still working on them.

That's, you know... kinda tough.

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 05:08 AM | #5233
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
The implications of a character "going bi" because she's turned evil are pretty nasty, so I really hope that doesn't happen. Now whether or not any possible LS romance should be same-gender or universal... I shan't say.
Let's not forget that bisexuality is often used as a short-hand for "evil" or "morally questionable" in a fair amount of media (most recent being in Skyfall) as that comes from, and reinforces, the idea that bisexual people are either greedy or confused. There is also classic bi-erasure which says that historically bi people haven't really been bi, they've just been trying to hide their homosexuality by romancing the opposite sex and then privately being "themselves".

Another reason to be wary of the anti-SGRA argument of "it doesn't make any sense for everyone to be bi!", or it is for me, at least.

VelvetSanity
01.14.2013 , 08:16 AM | #5234
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Let's not forget that bisexuality is often used as a short-hand for "evil" or "morally questionable" in a fair amount of media (most recent being in Skyfall) as that comes from, and reinforces, the idea that bisexual people are either greedy or confused. There is also classic bi-erasure which says that historically bi people haven't really been bi, they've just been trying to hide their homosexuality by romancing the opposite sex and then privately being "themselves".

Another reason to be wary of the anti-SGRA argument of "it doesn't make any sense for everyone to be bi!", or it is for me, at least.
Realistically, it doesn't make any sense for *everyone* to be bi; of course, for *some* people to be bi *does* make sense.

And that just led me to an interesting thought (though I doubt we'd see it in-game): what about bi-curious companions who ordinarily prefer one gender or the other, but are curious what it would be like with the opposite of their normal preference?
Pre-CU Bria refugee
www.therepopulation.com - sandbox MMO currently in alpha
classless, levelless, 3 playable factions, it even has ENTERTAINERS!
EA/BW: Thanks for the SGR update. Please tell us if timetables change again

stuffystuffs
01.14.2013 , 08:30 AM | #5235
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Yeah.

I don't like the "bi" label applied here regardless. They are pretty much "herosexual" even now as they romance a generic PC (it's just that, now the game has gender restrictions on them because...).

Ultimately I don't like that idea any better, though. The idea that my PCs are the sole moral guide to their companions really just rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it that I'm the ultimate arbiter of their moralities? Aren't they people unto themselves? Don't they have a will of their own?
It does make their story more engaging for the player I'd say. I don't mind it too much considering the medium (i.e., a RP story where you the player can shape some things about the story....I'm fine with that extending to NPCs/companions as well).

fabiyun
01.14.2013 , 08:31 AM | #5236
Quote: Originally Posted by VelvetSanity View Post
Realistically, it doesn't make any sense for *everyone* to be bi; of course, for *some* people to be bi *does* make sense.

And that just led me to an interesting thought (though I doubt we'd see it in-game): what about bi-curious companions who ordinarily prefer one gender or the other, but are curious what it would be like with the opposite of their normal preference?
There's some curious banter in DA2. I love the banter of your companions in DA2. Bethany asks Isabella about girls and what it's like to be with one. I think Isabella is the only real bi/pansexual character in DA2. Bethany seems curious/questioning, but that at the same time comes across as a young woman who hasn't really explored anything in life, and could as well be a lesbian. I never felt that all characters in DA2 were bi. To me they were all gay and lesbian except Isabella who's pansexual. What I like about DA2 is that it allows me to fill in their orientation, except for maybe Isabella. I understand that some see it as all bi characters, but if they hadn't done it the way they did, I wouldn't have been able to fill in the blanks myself, which is ultimately what I liked about it so much.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

chuixupu
01.14.2013 , 03:07 PM | #5237
Good grief, look at the media's fun new punch line.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/...on-gay-planet/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/42...gay-planet.htm

http://www.destructoid.com/star-wars...medium=twitter

"The Gay Planet".

Really, people? REALLY? Not sure if I find this funny or sad at this point.

But hey, SWTOR made it to Fox news.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 03:14 PM | #5238
Ugh. Good to see they're only quoting the anti-SGRA chaps in their articles, great impartial reporting there.

Hopefully Bioware sees this and realises that only having same-sex [Flirt]s on Makeb is going to reflect negatively on them.

amnie
01.14.2013 , 03:22 PM | #5239
strangely, I'm surprised fox news deems a video game report-worthy to begin with, but who knows what's going on inside their heards...

I just find it to be quite telling that just because there will ALSO be homosexual flirt options nobody even talks about how flirt options have been a part of this game since basically the start (I haven't played all gender/class combos but I'm pretty damn sure the male sith warrior gets their first [flirt] prompt at the questgiver who tells you to go see your class trainer (the sith pureblood who tells you 'nice try kiddo but you're not worthy - yet')

I'm fairly certain that makeb will also include heterosexual flirts, probably way more than gay ones too (unless they go the gender neutral route)

edit: is it normal for fox articles to not include who actually wrote them or am I just blind?

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 03:28 PM | #5240
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
I'm fairly certain that makem will also include heterosexual flirts, probably way more than gay ones too (unless they go the gender neutral route)
The cynic in me says that Bioware are putting in two (one lesbian, one gay man) [Flirt] options for same-sex, but that your character will be shot-down or the issue will be skirted and-let's-get-back-to-the-war-thank-you, and that the rest of the [Flirt]s will be pawing and fawning opposite-sex [Flirt]s so that the straight (=narrow) people won't feel left out

Edit: My mind won't let this go-

Cipher Nine lands on Makeb with strict instruction to oversee the new Sith Intelligence's role in the war effort and how the Hutts are taking to their alliance. Walking through the space port he spots his contact, and a cute chap he is as well!

Cipher: Perhaps we could discuss this more... privately?
Contact: This isn't that kind of planet. There's a war on, in case you haven't noticed. *proceeds to flirt with Ensign Temple openly and shamelessly*

Yay :/