Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediMB
01.05.2013 , 06:04 AM | #5021
On the subject of same-gender romance, but obviously not SWTOR...

I've been going through Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the last two months or so. For the first time. Just saw the season 6 episode "Seeing Red" last night. It was so sweet to finally see Willow and Tara together again, and so the show went and broke my heart. Sleeping became a problem...

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyDrusilla View Post
Well, while the codex does indeed state that they are sexually female, Liara describes them as mon-gendered in ME1 with no concept of gender differences and that she is 'not precisely a woman'. So the confusion is understandable.
Well, of course a mono-gendered species wouldn't have any concept of gender unless they actually encountered a species that had more than one, but one is not zero. And certainly Asari aren't technically women, since a woman is a female human.

But at the end of the day they're biologically female and anatomically woman-like.

Quote: Originally Posted by Samy_Merchi View Post
Another aspect that complicates things that may have been mentioned before but not often, is romance conflict dialogues.

~snip~
This is all true.

But as far as Hickman's excuse goes, it's also something they should have known about from the start. I can't see how they could possibly not know the scope of the content they promised.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Lent_San
01.05.2013 , 08:46 AM | #5022
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
I think I mentioned this earlier, but regardless... I'm certain the real reason we're not getting companion SGR (yet?) is because of just how far below expectations SWTOR's performance has been. The game is still in full damage control mode, where EA is doing its best to (short-term) generate as much income as possible at minimized costs.
This is my presumption as well, but also the reason why I'm still hopeful. The fact that Hickman mentioned that SGR companion romance options, or at least some more fleshed out SGR options, have been delayed and that there's more to come.... I do believe in that.

When, that of course is another thing, but should this game be able to get back up on its feet (which it seems like at the moment), I really do hope and expect them to make good on old promises and give us more of such content in the future. And, like some people have mentioned before, I do believe, since the cat is out of the bag now, with new companions in the future, they'll likely be creating some with SGR options from now on. If not, the whole backlash thing would start all over again and I don't think they're interested in that.

I really still do wish for an overhaul of some of the old companions though. It's kind of sad, having to go to 50 without being able to have a romance in the game. That a whole lot of gametime.

Samy_Merchi
01.05.2013 , 09:10 AM | #5023
I'm sitting at the character selection screen and I can't really muster up interest to play any of my characters. I feel sad.

I have to decide whether to play a girl or to romance a girl, and it's really tough picking just one or the other. Maybe I'll just go play Mass Effect.
In order to have romance in this game, I am forced to either crossdress or change my sexual orientation. Nice. Thanks "Bioware".

Lent_San
01.05.2013 , 09:13 AM | #5024
Quote: Originally Posted by Samy_Merchi View Post
I'm sitting at the character selection screen and I can't really muster up interest to play any of my characters. I feel sad.
I have to decide whether to play a girl or to romance a girl, and it's really tough picking just one or the other. Maybe I'll just go play Mass Effect.
I feel for you. I've finally started playing a male smuggler yesterday, and it's really fun, but it's also just sad to know I won't be able to have a romance for him until Makeb comes, and even sadder that it won't be with Corso, at least for now.

Nozybidaj
01.05.2013 , 11:11 AM | #5025
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillark View Post
The key point few are talking about is that SGR's are NOT coming to the game. They are going to be SOLD to players in the expansion, not in the basic, free to play game. If they were for sale in the cartel shop would that be any different? It's separate and unequal treatment.
The second key point (really I would consider this the first) is that SGR's are not only not coming to the game but not being sold either. What you are being sold is a few post level 50 NPC flirts. When we talk about SGRA's it has always been about Companion Romances. Yes NPC flirts are mentioned occasionally as a "nice to have" sort of thing but the discussion has never been centered around that.

What you all are being sold is scraps. Something BW decided they could, with minimal effort, include to deflect any criticism and protect themselves against outside agencies like GLAAD getting involved. Now when GLAAD calls them up BW can respond "Yep we totally include Same Sex romance in SW:TOR" when really they don't.

It is a token effort, nothing more. Hickman made it pretty clear Companion Romances are never coming in a meaningful way. They aren't even going to make an attempt at equal treatment for the GLBT community and anyone else looking for SGRA content.

QwibQwib
01.05.2013 , 11:36 AM | #5026
I trust (tentatively, at least) what they've said. I can imagine that trying to retroactively incorporate dialogue trees with companions could be a nightmare to code. You have to be able to rework the code so that it doesn't affect anyone who's already gone through the conversations, and they'd have to find all the spots where it's gender-flagged, rewrite that dialogue, record new dialogue, etc. And like someone brought up, there would be new conversations for the other companions (I wouldn't know, I haven't done a romance yet), and the programming might have unintended side-effects, like screwing with players that have already completed an OGR with the same companion.

But now that SG-flirts are in the game, I think it'd be a poor move for them to half-*ss it. They might as well just go all-in with it.

I just hope that they manage to get it worked on in a timely fashion. Part of why I'm so glad they've said what they did is that it gives me a reason to get my characters to level 50, instead of leaving them in a rest zone because I don't feel like playing them. And with the massive amounts of credits and legacy bonuses I'll have by the time SGRs are finally included, I'll be able to re-roll my characters and just plow through the game.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Nozybidaj
01.05.2013 , 11:41 AM | #5027
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
by the time SGRs are finally included
I thought Hickman was pretty clear about the fact that they won't be.

QwibQwib
01.05.2013 , 11:48 AM | #5028
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Hickman just said it was delayed. Which could be anywhere from months to who knows how long. I'm still somewhat optimistic. They just make god awful PR decisions.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Infir
01.05.2013 , 11:49 AM | #5029
What he said was that the earliest instance of SGRs, the ones on Makeb, will not be companion romances. He said that companion SGRs are delayed.
{((o))ﮗﮉﭽﭰﭵۻﮖۼﭦﮀﮃﮆ‖}Ξ{{ )

Wittand
01.05.2013 , 11:56 AM | #5030
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

The first red passage is in Future I Progressive indicating something that will happen in the future. As opposed to Conditional (would) which indicates a possible, but not definite option.
The second one is in Present Perfect Simple.

Nowhere in the statement is any indication that SGRAs with companions are off the table. In fact in the Elder game segment of the blog post Mr. Hickman wrote that more content with companions will be coming (post Makeb) and I believe that it is likely that any change to existing companion dialog will happen at the same time.