Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
01.02.2013 , 04:33 PM | #4811
Wow...

What a thing to wake up too...

Yeah, I'll be updating the FAQ later. Oh and to the poster that complimented me, thank you. I don't know if I did anything, but I do know I couldn't have done what I did alone.

We got an answer. It was Makeb, thankfully. I do wonder what took them so long, but oh well.

At least, from what I can tell, SGRs will be given to companions eventually.

Huh, and I was just saying a few days ago that I wanted Jeff to say something in a State of the Game Address.

Oh and to any and all concerned parties out there, no, this thread will not suddenly go away. It'll still be on topic; finding out and debating clarity for SGRs. However, you are more likely to see it slow down in General chat.

I wonder what the rest of the playerbase (that cares) thinks about this. I'm sure we'll find out shortly.

I'm taking a look now.

I didn't overlook anyone's PM, by the way, I'm just not awake yet.

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 04:34 PM | #4812
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
Pretty much exactly what I was trying to communicate, except more succint, and color coded.
I have to apologize for the blatant attack on everyone's retina. I was looking for softer colors but then again I hate fiddling with the options when I feel I urgently want to post stuff.

I do agree with your assessment. While it's not what I expected, it leaves me hopeful for the future and for a more integrative approach to SGRs with whatever content that might still be coming to us down the road.

JediMB
01.02.2013 , 04:37 PM | #4813
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Quote:
"Unfortunately, this [SGR with companions] will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.
Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

The bits of info in yellow do support the notion that SGRs with companions are still to come (ETA not yet known) and those updates may be not as small as some among us think they will /could be.
Agreed, but the tone of what he's saying seems to just wildly fluctuate in that first paragraph. Perhaps Hickman just isn't a very good writer... which still makes it uncertain which implication is the intended one.

I do hope you're right. And I guess it's time for me to make up my mind regarding my Smuggler's romance arc...
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 04:38 PM | #4814
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
*snip*
A cheap one-size fits all romance-toy isn't a solution.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 04:41 PM | #4815
I have to apologize for the blatant attack on everyone's retina. I was looking for softer colors but then again I hate fiddling with the options when I feel I urgently want to post stuff.
Sometimes, a little bit of in-your-face clarity is what's required.

natashina
01.02.2013 , 04:45 PM | #4816
Don't mind him. He's always concerned for us and I'm sure he knows best.

I for one am looking forward to seeing what the future brings. Bonus points in that thread for people being upset that BioWare dare make a statement about this. And that, "the entire update was for SGR."

Ugh, idiots. Especially one that posted about his outrage over SGRs three times now.

Besides, Jeff never said that SGR companions weren't going to happen, just not right now. I'm going back to speculating. I'm glad I don't have to send out any more emails. Well, provided that they keep us up to date after Makeb. And not make us wait over 10 months for it.

I don't care what some people say, this rocks.

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 04:47 PM | #4817
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Agreed, but the tone of what he's saying seems to just wildly fluctuate in that first paragraph. Perhaps Hickman just isn't a very good writer... which still makes it uncertain which implication is the intended one.
I know what you mean, and I agree that it's worded a little awkwardly. Still, the overall flow of it makes me optimistic.

Hickman knows we all were looking out for SGRs with companions, that's made quite clear.

Knowing that HE knows that is good.

SithKoriandr
01.02.2013 , 04:48 PM | #4818
I figured it would only be cheap, if the writing was completely terrible. But on that point, all the romances are one-size fits all within their classes as is.

Likomg
01.02.2013 , 04:48 PM | #4819
Quote:
"Unfortunately, this [SGR with companions] will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.
Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

The bits of info in yellow do support the notion that SGRs with companions are still to come (ETA not yet known) and those updates may be not as small as some among us think they will /could be.
You are overreading into it to see what you want:

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman

Topic #4: Same Gender Romance: Any news on this front would be great…
Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this (SGR) is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this (again SGR) would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized (fully implementing SGR in whatever form they intend, without mentioning what they fully intend) at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!

The yellow merely implies SGRs as a broad thing, not specifically to companions. While it is vague whether or not they intend to make romanceable SGR companions, it is certainly conceivable that they do. In another quote, I do believe it had been said (long ago) that current companions would not be made into SGRAs as it was sloppy storytelling. Between that original comment and the one today, there is no reason at all to expect this to change. "(We) do intend on pursuiing more SGR options in the future" is comfortably vague -- comfortable for them in that it is an out; it doesn't say whether it will be new companion arcs, more npcs or nothing more at all (budgetary reasons kept us from being able to pursue them further, etc).

I suspect that Makeb's SGR is more along the lines as the pseudo-romance that male troopers can have with Sgt Jaxo -- which was nicely done, imo, and made you care about Jaxo beyond just the standard NPC interaction.

As far as opening up SGFPs throughout the game, this would also seem unlikely, due to the amount of work involved. Whil you may argue "it is just a matter of flipping off a gender check", this would not be the case. If they are trying to attempt any sort of immersion in the SW universe within this game, you would have to expect many reactions to be of disgust, anger, etc as well to some being open to it; as racist as much of the empire and republic both are, and how society in SW is more a reflection of our own society about 20 years ago, just in a galaxy far far away, unlike ST's more utopian views. This would be an immense amount of work.

This is all just speculation, just as everyone else's posts are, though the likelihood of SGRA with current companions seems to be a solid no, as there has been 0 indication given of it happening -- based on past posts by BW, it will not happen with current companions.

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 04:49 PM | #4820
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I don't care what some people say, this rocks.
I feel the same way.