Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediMB
01.02.2013 , 04:08 PM | #4801
Just saw the mention in "State of the Game #2". It's underwhelming, but at least it's something... and a step, albeit the smallest step possible, in the right direction. If nothing else, it's good to finally know what we can expect for Makeb.

The question is what, exactly, "[we] intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future" means. The previous paragraph seems to rule out companion romances, but I don't really care to speculate further.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 04:09 PM | #4802
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
Looks like we got news, not 'good' news, but news, so each person can decide for themselves whether to be happy with the fact that there is news, or unhappy with what the news actually was. ZERO companion romances, because of the 'unexpectedly large' amount of time to do them...when it's as simple as getting rid of the gender checks. Obviously most people don't understand that, the casual gamer will believe them when they say things like that because they don't know any better, but the bottom line is they want to give us as little as possible, and for us to be grateful for it. Every other aspect of the game requires no gender check, all the storylines/cutscenes/quests etc. are exactly the same whether you're playing as a male or female, because there's no gender check. Thats the way it would work with the romances as well, if they wanted them to. They obviously don't.
For the second time in about two pages, that's patently false. BioWare needs to deal with the fact that a large portion of the playerbase is going to be completely unwilling to reroll to experience SGR content, and they're going to need to find a way to integrate the SGR content into existing companion content at various parts of the storyline.

That kind of comprehensive rework, rewrite, recode and re-record takes a hell of a lot longer than just tweaking a few gender variables and pronouns.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 04:10 PM | #4803
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
The previous paragraph seems to rule out companion romances
Only if you make the assumption that the first wave (Makeb's content) is going to be the only type of SGR content they're going to do.

JediMB
01.02.2013 , 04:15 PM | #4804
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
Only if you make the assumption that the first wave (Makeb's content) is going to be the only type of SGR content they're going to do.
It's sort of weirdly written, so it's uncertain if "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" refers to SGR in general or SGR in Makeb, since that paragraph doesn't actually make any mention of Makeb and its content.

Makeb isn't brought up until the next, and considerably shorter, paragraph.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

wainot-keel
01.02.2013 , 04:18 PM | #4805
Quote: Originally Posted by Noremacv View Post
About time we heard something of an update! Thanks for finally sending some attention this way, Jeff
Link found here.

"....and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" This sounds uncomfortably close to saying "but it won't happen"
Yup. "We" had that crazy idea. How the heck did we ever think of that ? Romancing a companion ? Never happened before. Not in BW games at least.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 04:20 PM | #4806
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
It's sort of weirdly written, so it's uncertain if "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" refers to SGR in general or SGR in Makeb, since that paragraph doesn't actually make any mention of Makeb and its content.

Makeb isn't brought up until the next, and considerably shorter, paragraph.
As I interpreted it (the entire statement):

"We realize you guys wanted companion SGRs, but looking at what needed to be done we realized it would be a very involved and time consuming process. Stuff happened (f2p et al), so we started with Makeb SGRs, but we're not turning out back on companion SGRs."

Notice he said "will take", not "would take" when talking about the companion SGRs (paragraph 1, sentence 3).

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 04:21 PM | #4807
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
Quote:
"Unfortunately, this [SGR with companions] will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.
Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

The bits of info in yellow do support the notion that SGRs with companions are still to come (ETA not yet known) and those updates may be not as small as some among us think they will /could be.

QwibQwib
01.02.2013 , 04:26 PM | #4808
In the words of those who came before me, "WOOOOOOOOO!!"

While not the best news, it's at least something. And we now know that it'll take a while before there's any pre-50 content, so I can enjoy my characters without having to shut them away inside a rest zone indefinitely. I just hope they give us more character slots so that I can re-roll each character if/when SGRs are included in pre-50 content.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Narien
01.02.2013 , 04:26 PM | #4809
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Quote:
"Unfortunately, this [SGR with companions] will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.
Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

The bits of info in yellow do support the notion that SGRs with companions are still to come (ETA not yet known) and those updates may be not as small as some among us think they will /could be.
Pretty much exactly what I was trying to communicate, except more succint, and color coded.

SithKoriandr
01.02.2013 , 04:27 PM | #4810
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Uhuh.... yeah, no.

Maybe you should actually read what people are posting in this thread. Then again, you do, and interpret what people are saying so it fits your opinion of us. I have formed an opinion on you quite a while ago, that said, I don't expect anything else from you.
I have. And some of the people are "got the answer and meh" I never said all.

What? You want something more? Like maybe what would give those who want SGR the option of SGR, adds new content, while at the same time is likely to be used by everyone, and thusly, possibly profitable and worth putting it up front on the "to do list"?

New companion, available at level 15 (after you obtain your ship, found on first planet you visit after receiving your ship). Multiple skins to choose the appearance (possibly make the skins just human/cyborg as a catch all for everyone). Flirts/romances your character or you can just be friends (so people who just want the companion and romance someone else, can).

Obtain the companion through an instanced mission, find them lost at a datacron (see that, add a new datacron for people to pick up...my suggestion a +Presence datacron) you help them find their way back and they decide to stick around with you.

Besides just the usual little cutscenes when you obtain certain levels of affection, put in an instanced mission on every planet that deals with the companion. They don't have to be some big story driven mission. Could just be a simple little sidequest type mission (Spent time at a resort, it got hijacked by the exchange. Hanging out at a cantina, bar brawl breaks out.) thrown in with a few storyline missions.

Have the instanced missions give a good mission complete bonus, cut scenes give usual amount of xp bonus.

That would add new content/missions to help people along in their search for xp!

Make it free for Subscribers and F2Pers would have to purchase it per character. If possible, could give the character 2-3 personality types, but could just be one personality type you're stuck with, like with the other companions, this idea is just so people can have a choice in their storyline even more.

Voice actor could be some new, and likely cheaper (doesnt mean bad). The only problem I'm not sure of, is if it would be possible to insert them into the group scenes when all companions are seen together.

Could even link them to some of the favorites in their story.
Spoiler
for the female and
Spoiler
for the male. Mind you, those examples are just off the top of my head.

New missions. Customizable companion. A datacron. All that's left is deciding their class. I'd suggest a Blaster/Vibroknife DPS-Healer and DPS-Tanker stances.