Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Revanchis
12.30.2012 , 02:36 AM | #4631
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
No reason one has to choose right away. The game doesn't end at 50 (or 55 when the level cap gets extended). If you can't decide which companion you want your character with (or if it's not an option yet due to SGR) just don't bother with them untill you've decided/it's possible.

For my SI, while parts of Andy's personality is annoying, imo he was just the better option, and I'm open to having all the companions being open. Ashara I just don't see as being a good companion for anyone really The other options are really meh :/ The old geeky guy (Talos, who I believe has options to make him look younger, buuut, it doesnt change anything about him other than his looks), and two companions who can't be courted (I don't think Xalek can be courted anyways, could be wrong, but he comes off as another you wouldn't want to anyways).

Which leaves me a bit curious...as Ashara's personality just seems so off putting, is it people wanting a SGR just for SGR that have them wanting to court her at all? Or does her personality improve if you play a male SI?
Oh man, no way. Ashara is the best, and Talos is the second best. If there had been an option to romance Talos as I guy I may have considered it. Andronikos I just found boring and annoying, like Khem.

If you're going LS then Ashara isn't quite so bad to you, and she warms up a lot if you're romancing her.

SithKoriandr
12.30.2012 , 02:40 AM | #4632
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Here's Erickson, at the Guild Summit. Outdated, forgotten, and never clarified, but he said it.
So now the question is...is he still with the company? If he isn't, the company could be under new direction.

Also as a CoH player who never got a reason from NCSoft on why exactly the game shut down (I have my own thoughts on why) other than "new business direction" I really don't think BW/EA is going to do much different.

One can either accept that, or leave. And really, I just don't think the number who'd leave on such a detail is significant.

Really though, Kioma said the gbt community is made to feel excluded, and I think that's just another comment with no meaning behind it.

If an MMO was made without a OGR in it, let's say because it's target audience was the gay community. If people said it was discrimating against OGR, they'd get flack for it. Not to mention Kioma's exact words were GLBT...ummm...where's my transgendered option? Hell, wheres just my cross dresser option? One of my favorite RP characters is a cross dresser, I don't have this option in game.

And the more I think on it. If it's a story driven game, wouldn't Mako be gay, straight, or bi? Not all three? Wouldn't all the NPCs be set at what they are, and your character would interract with them, as they were? You know, like in RL where if you're SGA, sadly that straight person just isn't going to give you what you want (or vice versa).

So, could just be possible the SGA character of yours hasn't met another who's that attracted to the SG as your character is, and that's how the story goes,untill they put one in? Which poor fool...it'll be one person dating 50. He/She will never get to rest.

Anglvamp
12.30.2012 , 03:11 AM | #4633
First off, I love you ignore list, you help me keep my mind free so well.

Second, Kioma, can you send me that bit of your sig about the message to Dinsey/Bw? Would love to put it in my sig too ^.^

Third, I really don't understand people. Reading through this thread, all the strawmen and other logical fallacies bandied about is stunning. Don't come in here and tell us what we want, would do, will do, might do, won't do, ect...

This thread is about a simple answer to a simple question, Will the mirror image of something that is already in game and was supposed to be added end up in the game we support and enjoy playing . If you have nothing to clarify that question, you really don't have any purpose being here.

I'll never understand where the hate is coming from, I really won't.
*sighs*

^.^

SithKoriandr
12.30.2012 , 03:38 AM | #4634
Quote: Originally Posted by Anglvamp View Post
First off, I love you ignore list, you help me keep my mind free so well.

Second, Kioma, can you send me that bit of your sig about the message to Dinsey/Bw? Would love to put it in my sig too ^.^

Third, I really don't understand people. Reading through this thread, all the strawmen and other logical fallacies bandied about is stunning. Don't come in here and tell us what we want, would do, will do, might do, won't do, ect...

This thread is about a simple answer to a simple question, Will the mirror image of something that is already in game and was supposed to be added end up in the game we support and enjoy playing . If you have nothing to clarify that question, you really don't have any purpose being here.

I'll never understand where the hate is coming from, I really won't.
*sighs*

^.^
The thread seemed to go way past the OP intents before I ever got here. I just joined in. I found the discussion interresting.

If it just stuck to the OP, then I'd have to wonder why everyone else stuck around way way WAY before I ever showed up in this thread.

Sticking to the OP. As a player, yes clarification is great and always wanted. Thinking of it from the companes point of view, worst thing they could ever do. Should stick to the "Soon" comment, and when it comes, it comes, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Basically, if you tell the player base something is coming, and then have to back out of it for one reason or another, whether you want to or not, they won't let it go. I mean look at this thread. Posters can't let go of getting clarification. Instead of moving on with the game and playing it as is, or moving onto another MMO that gives them SGR they stick around.

Palar
12.30.2012 , 03:42 AM | #4635
So now the question is...is he still with the company? If he isn't, the company could be under new direction.
Here's what Joveth said back in September:
"Please know that we’re definitely keeping up with all of the comments in that thread. Unfortunately, as Allison has said in the past in response to this issue, we do not have any new information since Daniel Erickson’s comments from the Guild Summit back in March. As soon as we have any sort of update, we will immediately let that thread know."

Since they've added nothing to that, it left the March quote as the official goal-post. Also in September, we had Gabe's "I don't know, maybe in the next update with Makeb" comment, which was endorsed by Hall Hood's vanishing Tweet. Said update got sliced, diced and served up piece-meal for two patches and the coming expansion.

Regardless, that was the last info we got so we hung onto it.

Really though, Kioma said the gbt community is made to feel excluded, and I think that's just another comment with no meaning behind it.

If an MMO was made without a OGR in it, let's say because it's target audience was the gay community. If people said it was discrimating against OGR, they'd get flack for it. Not to mention Kioma's exact words were GLBT...ummm...where's my transgendered option?

And the more I think on it. If it's a story driven game, wouldn't Mako be gay, straight, or bi? Not all three? Wouldn't all the NPCs be set at what they are, and your character would interract with them, as they were? You know, like in RL where if you're SGA, sadly that straight person just isn't going to give you what you want (or vice versa).

So, could just be possible the SGA character of yours hasn't met another who's that attracted to the SG as your character is, and that's how the story goes,untill they put one in? .
As for exclusion, I'm not part of the 'community' so I'll try to avoid speaking for them. The choice was still made to arbitrarily split the romance arcs, with only OGRs at launch - they've been cagey and less-than-correct ever since, while hyping how supportive they are in interviews. Actions are louder than words, and all that.

TG... good question, that would be one to ask the Overlords behind the curtain.

One of our Big Board O' Questions is "will this be like Dragon Age 2, wherein 'everyone is bi/Hero-Sexual'?"
Does the "they're different, for different play-throughs" idea wash with a MMO? Yet more things we're still waiting to hear.

As for "sticking around, rather than finding another game", that seems oddly defeatist. No game is ever going to be perfect, so people make do. Everyone's tipping point is different, after all.

Rashenn
12.30.2012 , 03:58 AM | #4636
I have to say for the life of me I can't figure out why the naysayers spend so much time with us here on this thread.

We get it, you don't want it, or you don't think it's important..ok...but but isn't there some other subject you do want? if you put as much effort into that surely your time time would be more productively spent as is ours in this thread!

No need to answer as honestly I wouldn't understand and as such don't particularly care, you're different, you're ok, I'm ok! just felt the need to get that out there!

As for the whole *while not level but not have convo's* idea for me with some characters I don't want to miss out on any possible NPC flirts plus I find the whole thing more enjoyable if it's done as intended..over the course of the leveling experience.

I have managed to start playing my warrior again and will hold off on romances as it's that or not play but my JK, Trooper and smuggler I just can't bear to lvl until I know what's going on!

I'm a half glass full kinda girl so I shall keep my positive hat on for a while longer!

Hope you're all having a fab festive season

Zandilar
12.30.2012 , 05:30 AM | #4637
But it's true. I *do* feel excluded (just like I felt excluded by the acronym you used there, and itched to say that L is different to G, and therefore they both should be there, then decided it was probably a typo and let it go ). There are some characters of mine (read: all of them) for which this exclusion just grates whenever it comes up. Every time I see a heterosexual flirt in the game, I'm reminded of the absence of homosexual flirts. Sure, my characters don't use flirt options (unless I'm mucking around seeing what each conversation option does - yes, that does take up some of my play time, the ESC key is handy - or if I think my character would grit her teeth and do it anyway because it gets her something she wants (an extremely rare occurance)) - but when they would flirt (if this were a tabletop game), they can't.

(I decided to snip out the part of my post that discussed hypothetical SGR only games and transgender visibility because it probably contravenes the guidelines for this thread. Needless to say, the absence of T (and I for that matter) is a concern of mine.)

Quote:

So, could just be possible the SGA character of yours hasn't met another who's that attracted to the SG as your character is, and that's how the story goes,untill they put one in? Which poor fool...it'll be one person dating 50. He/She will never get to rest.
If this game were just a non-interactive story, yes Mako would have a fixed sexuality. Just think of everyone's game as "what if" - because we don't get to see Mako interacting with every single BH, just our own, her sexuality only matters to our story. If Joe Bloggs's Mako is straight, it has no bearing on Jane Bloggs's lesbian (or bisexual depending on how it played out) Mako. Joe's Mako is not Jane's Mako... They're not the same character, just possible variants on a theme.

I do remember, though, having a brief exchange with David Gaider back in the days of NWN when I was insisting that just replacing the hard coded pronouns with gender tokens was good enough for SGR (back before everything was fully voiced ) - he basically said that it was bad writing (sound familiar?). He convinced me that day, that in a perfect world, each character would have their own sexuality - some would be straight, some bi, some homosexual. Unfortunately the world is not perfect, and making a whole bunch of romances that don't intersect for both genders is a lot of time and money - so the best we can hope for for the near future is more hero-sexual love interests.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Lent_San
12.30.2012 , 06:19 AM | #4638
Quote: Originally Posted by Anglvamp View Post
I agree. Especially when the conversation is going in circles with one person going "xyz" and a second person going "yes, but..." and it's starting all over again.

Topics that have long been discussed, by the way.

Can't seem to take any interest in these kinds of discussions, since concern trolls are still trolls after all.

Kioma
12.30.2012 , 06:31 AM | #4639
And that, right there, is a sign not only that you don't understand, but of how much you don't understand.

Quote:
If an MMO was made without a OGR in it, let's say because it's target audience was the gay community. If people said it was discrimating against OGR, they'd get flack for it. Not to mention Kioma's exact words were GLBT...ummm...where's my transgendered option? Hell, wheres just my cross dresser option? One of my favorite RP characters is a cross dresser, I don't have this option in game.
If the MMO were made for the general public as SWTOR was (it was not made exclusively or specifically for the heterosexual population of the globe) and it had SGRs and not OGRs, then yes, I'm be up in arms about that. I want equality here, and currently SWTOR lacks it. For the same reason I don't support misandry or misogyny.

Regarding cross-dressing, I was downright annoyed when I found clothes that were gender-specific. I think that restriction should be outright removed. So yes, I also support transgendered people and everyone else along the broad, fluid spectrum that is human sexuality. If it's legal I support it.

And if you're that disappointed by the lack of cross-dressing options in SWTOR I suggest you start a thread about it. I'd support you all the way (in the unlikely but possible event that you're actually serious).
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Melycinya
12.30.2012 , 08:14 AM | #4640
Okay so technically it's not actually an option, but there is a starship upgrades vendor on the Republic fleet you might be interested in chatting with: Captain Gek. Notice the dialogue in the chatbox. There was another in Section X for Imps, but their dialogue was switched to match their visible sex last I checked. I am also on board for removing gendered clothing, and perhaps allowing people to choose whether certain tops are midriff-baring, instead of having it automatically happen (so frustrating, it usually removes some of my favorite pieces of that armor).

Also, yes please, I would love to have a thread to discuss trans* possibilities for this game (my posts about it in here keep getting deleted), but don't feel confident enough to start one, myself. Rather...thinking about it, that might get even worse bashing than LGB stuff gets. Maybe it isn't the best idea, or perhaps should be something kept in a quieter forum if we want have a meaningful, level-headed discussion with minimal interruption.
I love turning heads.
My favorite part is the kr-KRAK just before they throw themselves at my feet.