Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
12.29.2012 , 02:21 PM | #4611
Generally flirt options don't start coming in until you get a companion into at least 3k affection mark. It varies a lot per companion as to what you need to do to get a romance going, and how to screw it up, but I know that you can actually turn down flirts with some of them in the beginning and still have chances later. From the ones I've been through, there's been clear points where I started and ended the relationship.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Palar's Avatar


Palar
12.29.2012 , 02:38 PM | #4612
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Nope. I didn't even get an option to flirt with one companion untill after they became a member of my crew and I had their affection up, buuut, my character was already with someone else, so I didn't.

Not to mention people have married multiple companions on their character, so it's not like the game keeps track of "oh hey, you married this one, so this storyline isn't possible" and it doesn't even give you a break up scene with the first one.
Sounds like something bugged-out then, because those scenes are in there.

For example - the Vette/Jaesa one. (spoilers)

Kodyack's Avatar


Kodyack
12.29.2012 , 02:41 PM | #4613
I would think if you want to get new players and keep existing ones Same Gender Romance options would be a route to go, as that might get players who were otherwise disinterested in the franchise to give it a look, and keep us current players who are rather fed up with silence.
It is such a quiet thing; to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it. | Never Forget The Bothan Spies.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.29.2012 , 02:55 PM | #4614
Quote: Originally Posted by Kodyack View Post
I would think if you want to get new players and keep existing ones Same Gender Romance options would be a route to go, as that might get players who were otherwise disinterested in the franchise to give it a look, and keep us current players who are rather fed up with silence.
But even without it, there's no reason one doesn't have to not play, when they can still play the game, and save the companion quests for when they're either implemented OR they add a one size fits all SGR romance option (which if it comes in the next expansion, is my guess to how it will be, so you'd have to be level 50 anyways).

JediMB's Avatar


JediMB
12.29.2012 , 03:36 PM | #4615
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
What's keeping you from leveling your OGR Smuggler? Or is it you think you may want to reroll your smuggler to a female for a SGR? If that's the case, reroll, level up, just don't put progression into the companions affection.
I'm conflicted about which romance arc I want to try, since (assuming that SGRAs are coming) I don't know if Risha or Akaavi will become available to the female Smuggler I'm planning to roll eventually.

On the one hand, I could just continue down the path of the Risha romance and hope that BioWare end up going with the "obvious" choice of making the butch Akaavi available for my female Smuggler. On the other, it would be super-amusing to have my male Smuggler realizing that he'd rather be with Akaavi after having courted Risha since pretty much the moment he got his ship back... and there's always the chance Risha would get the SGRA, since BioWare might want to avoid going with the "butch lesbian"-esque stereotype.

It's easier to just play a romance-free Sorcerer right now. And give in to those Dark Side urges for once.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.29.2012 , 03:51 PM | #4616
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
I'm conflicted about which romance arc I want to try, since (assuming that SGRAs are coming) I don't know if Risha or Akaavi will become available to the female Smuggler I'm planning to roll eventually.

On the one hand, I could just continue down the path of the Risha romance and hope that BioWare end up going with the "obvious" choice of making the butch Akaavi available for my female Smuggler. On the other, it would be super-amusing to have my male Smuggler realizing that he'd rather be with Akaavi after having courted Risha since pretty much the moment he got his ship back... and there's always the chance Risha would get the SGRA, since BioWare might want to avoid going with the "butch lesbian"-esque stereotype.

It's easier to just play a romance-free Sorcerer right now. And give in to those Dark Side urges for once.
No reason one has to choose right away. The game doesn't end at 50 (or 55 when the level cap gets extended). If you can't decide which companion you want your character with (or if it's not an option yet due to SGR) just don't bother with them untill you've decided/it's possible.

For my SI, while parts of Andy's personality is annoying, imo he was just the better option, and I'm open to having all the companions being open. Ashara I just don't see as being a good companion for anyone really The other options are really meh :/ The old geeky guy (Talos, who I believe has options to make him look younger, buuut, it doesnt change anything about him other than his looks), and two companions who can't be courted (I don't think Xalek can be courted anyways, could be wrong, but he comes off as another you wouldn't want to anyways).

Which leaves me a bit curious...as Ashara's personality just seems so off putting, is it people wanting a SGR just for SGR that have them wanting to court her at all? Or does her personality improve if you play a male SI?

JediMB's Avatar


JediMB
12.29.2012 , 05:13 PM | #4617
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
No reason one has to choose right away. The game doesn't end at 50 (or 55 when the level cap gets extended). If you can't decide which companion you want your character with (or if it's not an option yet due to SGR) just don't bother with them untill you've decided/it's possible.
Well, I think part of the appeal of the story arc is lost if it doesn't progress alongside the class and faction stories. It just wouldn't feel organic at all to go through all the conversations in endgame.

With my Bounty Hunter I did the romance arc with Torian, but I played through the entire game with Mako as my primary companion. So in addition to Torian's romance/story arc being really flat and monotonous, I didn't go through it until after the rest of the story was done, and so that made the whole thing feel even more artificial.

...And suddenly I want to just go back to Dragon Age: Origins and finish my Mage playthrough (Zevran romance), for whatever reason.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
12.29.2012 , 05:33 PM | #4618
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Nope. I didn't even get an option to flirt with one companion untill after they became a member of my crew and I had their affection up, buuut, my character was already with someone else, so I didn't.
My female Jugg, during the Balmorra part of her class story, pretty much got a [Flirt] in every conversation with Quinn. And that's before he joins her crew. If Quinn becomes available for SGR, a male warrior would miss all those flirts. Doesn't matter if you plan on holding off convos with companions.
I wonder if a similar thing happens with Elara on Taris. If that's the case, my lvl 30 Trooper already miss those

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
12.29.2012 , 05:48 PM | #4619
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
But even without it, there's no reason one doesn't have to not play, when they can still play the game, and save the companion quests for when they're either implemented OR they add a one size fits all SGR romance option (which if it comes in the next expansion, is my guess to how it will be, so you'd have to be level 50 anyways).
No, to be accurate, there's no reason you can see not to play. Which is fine, you don't get it, that's no problem, but just because you don't get it doesn't make it a truth.

A long term poster here who has since left used to say that every time he encountered an OGR flirt during his male Smuggler's story (and there are a hell of a lot of them) he was reminded very sharply of how the people who made this game made the conscious choice to exclude SGRs from the game. Every flirt prompt was a slap in the face to him - not just with companions but with mission NPCs. You can't get off Ord Mantell without encountering about three of them. And no, you don't have to choose them, but they are strictly OGR. Not a single SGR.

Yes, it's been stated by BW:A that SGRs were excluded for time and budgeting reasons. But irrespective of why SGRs got the chop they still weren't included when OGRs were. BW:A could very easily have excluded both OGRs and SGRs until both were ready to be included together but they didn't. OGRs went in and SGRs didn't, and that's the bottom line.

Other people in this very thread, I have no doubt, experience the same reaction and worse every time they find an OGR flirt where there's no corresponding SGR flirt. I don't have that reaction myself but I do understand it, and I can comprehend how it might make playing this game very hard or even impossible; unappealing at the very least. I found it very difficult to progress through the Sith Warrior storyline after I watched him facilitate a torture so horrible that it made me decide the ESRB are wrong; this is no Teen game. I worked past that and my SW is now of a respectable level but nonetheless it disgusted me (as was probably the writer's aim).

So every time you say there's no reason people can't play through the game, that there's no reason to stall character development, that there's no reason to be disenchanted with the game you're really just stating an opinion as if it were fact.

There are reasons. They're just not the same as yours, SithKoriandr.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.29.2012 , 07:01 PM | #4620
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
No, to be accurate, there's no reason you can see not to play. Which is fine, you don't get it, that's no problem, but just because you don't get it doesn't make it a truth.

A long term poster here who has since left used to say that every time he encountered an OGR flirt during his male Smuggler's story (and there are a hell of a lot of them) he was reminded very sharply of how the people who made this game made the conscious choice to exclude SGRs from the game. Every flirt prompt was a slap in the face to him - not just with companions but with mission NPCs. You can't get off Ord Mantell without encountering about three of them. And no, you don't have to choose them, but they are strictly OGR. Not a single SGR.

Yes, it's been stated by BW:A that SGRs were excluded for time and budgeting reasons. But irrespective of why SGRs got the chop they still weren't included when OGRs were. BW:A could very easily have excluded both OGRs and SGRs until both were ready to be included together but they didn't. OGRs went in and SGRs didn't, and that's the bottom line.

Other people in this very thread, I have no doubt, experience the same reaction and worse every time they find an OGR flirt where there's no corresponding SGR flirt. I don't have that reaction myself but I do understand it, and I can comprehend how it might make playing this game very hard or even impossible; unappealing at the very least. I found it very difficult to progress through the Sith Warrior storyline after I watched him facilitate a torture so horrible that it made me decide the ESRB are wrong; this is no Teen game. I worked past that and my SW is now of a respectable level but nonetheless it disgusted me (as was probably the writer's aim).

So every time you say there's no reason people can't play through the game, that there's no reason to stall character development, that there's no reason to be disenchanted with the game you're really just stating an opinion as if it were fact.

There are reasons. They're just not the same as yours, SithKoriandr.
Also in reply to a previous responder. There's still classes one can play, that give you starting companions you can't or won't flirt with (JK and SI come to mind first).

Yes, nice to flirt along as you level, you'll also be level 50 and then have to continue to gain affection with your companion after 50, unless you're handing out companion gifts left and right to get the higher affection. Not to mention, you'd have to make every choice coincide with what gives positive affection from your companion, so you don't keep taking steps backwards. While the step back isn't usually big, I haven't met a person yet who picked all the right options without redoing a scene or cheating it (which then goes to the idea that one isn't really basing it on the story, but just getting positive affection).

No. I do get it. Saying you can't level (when you can) because of something you're not likely to get without really going all out for it by level 50, sounds better for the wanting than "Well, I can play the game and wait."

Getting to the courting part is usually about what over 2000 positive affection? Easily able to get to 50 without hitting 2000 affection rating.