Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rashenn's Avatar


Rashenn
12.19.2012 , 12:38 AM | #4201
Still here and still feeling positive and hopeful.

A continued thank you for everyone's hard work.

Natashina my thoughts are with you and I hope you're health issues resolve in a positive manner real soon.
Prayers and hugs flying your way

Have a Very Merry Christmas everyone and I so know Santa is pro is SGR and has it on his list! 2013 will be our year...Kira is still waiting for me!
Seasonal hugs all round

MoobooMagoo's Avatar


MoobooMagoo
12.19.2012 , 01:15 AM | #4202
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
We all know that it takes days or even hours, not a year, to disable the 'gender check' for the romances in the game, so time has nothing to do with why it hasn't been implemented yet, its just because they dont want to. But I'd like to offer a pro-active suggestion. Since obviously they are afraid of negative feedback for implementing this option, there's a super DUPER easy way to avoid it, it's super obvious but I've never heard anybody suggest it, so maybe this is one of those 'hidden in plain sight' deals. You know how they have companion gifts? I always like those by the way, thats a cool part of the game. You know how one type of gift is a 'courting' gift. Suppose they made that the 'trigger' for the SGRAs. You simply give the LI you want to romance, but up til now haven't been able to, a 'courting' gift, and that activates the romance, you can now romance them the same as any other LI. It would take away any and all complaints, because if somebody says 'Oh no, I've been hit on by (fill in the blank), this is terrible!' you can laugh at them and say 'Well why were you courting them in the first place?'. Anybody who doesn't want SGRAs in their game still wouldnt have them, because they wouldnt be giving courting gifts to an LI they werent interested in, and those who do want them would finally have them, because courting gifts are super duper easy to get and give to the teammate of your choice.

Of course the easiest thing to do is to just disable the gender checks and give us the SGRAs tomorrow, and I'd certainly enjoy it if they did that, but if they wanted to take a few days and do it the way I suggested, that would probably be the better way to go for them, in terms of making everybody on both sides happy. But whatever they do, hopefully the pressure we're putting on them will force them to do it soon.

PS, on the topic of companion gifts, until they do fully activate the romances for the existing teammates, they could at least make them respond to our courting gifts in a more positive way, 'as if' they were in a romance with our character. You know, the little things they say when you give them a gift. That wouldnt require any new voicework or anything at all, it would just be a nice little piece of the romance to experience until we got the whole thing. Maybe somebody could make that suggestion to one of the higher-ups, that'd certainly be something they could do in virtually no time at all and wouldn't make anybody unhappy.
I like that idea, but that would basically be a SGR toggle, which is discriminatory.

Now if they made it so courting gifts activated ALL relationships, SG and OG alike, that would be ok with me.

But, to address your other point, it takes a lot longer to sort things out in code than you would think. For all we know the devs REALLY want to release the content tomorrow, but every time they try to introduce this content every player and npc's heads show that 'no texture found' stuff that was so common in beta, all the exhaustion zones specifically in the dune sea on Tatooine stop functioning correctly, and the world boss on Dromund Kaas spawns inside Kaas City.

Changing, deleting, or adding a single line of code can make all sorts of things you wouldn't expect to be linked suddenly wonk out. Given the information we have been given they have probably finished most of, if not all of, the content and are trying to test it for bugs. With a game this size that is a monumental task because they would probably have to take each companion from each class to every location in the game. They would have to give these companions different gifts to make sure that works, they would have to go into the area without a companion quest active (when you are told they want to talk to you), go in with one active, cause one to become active, talk to the companion, etc., etc., etc. They would then have to go through every single companion quest in every single location you can talk to them in and make sure it all works correctly. They have to do this all with every companion and in every conceivable location, preferably with all different kinds of gear (both on the PC and companion) to make sure those aren't going to bug out.

I could keep going on, but I think you get the idea. This is why, personally, I don't even want an eta from Bioware, I just want some kind of dialog that tells us they are working on it.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.19.2012 , 01:16 AM | #4203
Final word for a few:

I'm not doing a thing that anyone else is incapable of. All I did was write some emails and start making a general nuisance of myself. I wanted to help this community get the respect we deserve. The respect BW-Austin has not given us.

Anyone can do this. Anyone can write emails or blogs passionately. Anyone can try to alert the press. I'm not that special, trust me. I could not have and would not have been able to do this without the support of this community and of my loving husband.

Never take silence for an answer. The only way things will improve in the gaming industry is if we as players and customers show the world that games do matter. That the games themselves reflect and shape society.

This won't change the world overnight. It might change this game soon with the inclusion of SGRs. However, it is steps like this that will help us make our mark down the road. I'd love for a day that LGBT content isn't seen as controversial, but rather matter-of-fact and polite. You know, the way all romance/story content should be treated.

As long as you have net access, some time to edit your point and a few minutes, anyone can do this. Don't forget to link that podcast anywhere you guys feel up to. Even just one outside site.

Talk to you all soon.

Samy_Merchi's Avatar


Samy_Merchi
12.19.2012 , 02:52 AM | #4204
Just for the record:

I am NOT buying the expansion unless it has SGRA in it. Period.

Fyuria's Avatar


Fyuria
12.19.2012 , 03:38 AM | #4205
Quote: Originally Posted by Samy_Merchi View Post
Just for the record:

I am NOT buying the expansion unless it has SGRA in it. Period.
My thoughts exactly.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
12.19.2012 , 06:08 AM | #4206
Quote: Originally Posted by Samy_Merchi View Post
Just for the record:

I am NOT buying the expansion unless it has SGRA in it. Period.
Here here.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
12.19.2012 , 06:12 AM | #4207
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Here here.
I pre-ordered it, mainly because it's currently half-price for subscribers, and my money situation is tight enough that $10 is allowable but $20 would be stretching it. Having said that, if SGRAs actually aren't in this year (and at this stage I'm losing hope that they will be) then I'm going to be mighty annoyed.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.19.2012 , 08:07 AM | #4208
Okay, I just thought of an excellent point to bring up as we continue to raise visibilty. I did buy the pre-order for Makeb, but this came to mind.

Is it in any fair for EA/BW to ask the LGBT playerbase to pre-order Makeb without knowing about the state of SGRs?

They are asking us to pay for extended content. More story content, to be specific. So why won't they tell us if a story based feature is even coming?

In my opinion, it is incredibly wrong for anyone that wants LGBT content to have to pre-order this content without knowing SGRs are going to be included. Therein losing on the sale price for the pre-order.

This is something I'm going to address with the staff of TORWars and a point that I look forward to seeing brought up in general.

Discuss. I'll be reading.

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
12.19.2012 , 08:28 AM | #4209
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Okay, I just thought of an excellent point to bring up as we continue to raise visibilty. I did buy the pre-order for Makeb, but this came to mind.

Is it in any fair for EA/BW to ask the LGBT playerbase to pre-order Makeb without knowing about the state of SGRs?

They are asking us to pay for extended content. More story content, to be specific. So why won't they tell us if a story based feature is even coming?

In my opinion, it is incredibly wrong for anyone that wants LGBT content to have to pre-order this content without knowing SGRs are going to be included. Therein losing on the sale price for the pre-order.

This is something I'm going to address with the staff of TORWars and a point that I look forward to seeing brought up in general.

Discuss. I'll be reading.
This is something I don't understand either. If it's coming with Makeb, why can't they simply say so? I think the only reason they're not saying it's coming with Makeb, is because it's not coming with Makeb.

And that's not to be a negative Nancy. It's because it doesn't make sense to expect something to come, when they're not saying it's coming, only to make excuses why it might be coming but they can't talk about it. Ridiculous.

And good that there's some comparison with other features. Let's do that for a bit.
Chat bubbles. It's coming with Makeb! I know, I know, they haven't said so, but they never say so, so therefor it's coming with Makeb, but they just can't talk about it!
Sit features. It's coming with Makeb! Yea, they haven't said so, but they never say so, so really it's coming with Makeb.
Cathar. It's coming with Makeb! It's just not in the description, because it's going to be a surprise!
Secret Space Project. It's coming with Makeb! It's going to be fun, so they don't want to talk about it.
Class balance. It's coming with Makeb! EA told them to not talk about it, or maybe it was George Lucas, oh scrap that, it was Disney!

See a pattern here? First off, they talked about all these features even at the last LiveStream. Second, they would most certainly tell everybody it's coming. And I think they would tell everyone about changed or added romance options as well (they might not specify SGR though). But we're to pretend that they are working on SGR, but just cannot talk about it. That's ridiculous. If they're not talking, then it's not being worked on. Does that mean it's not on a list, we don't know. But I don't see why I should think it's coming with Makeb, when it's obvious that it's not in the list of things that are coming with Makeb.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
12.19.2012 , 08:47 AM | #4210
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
And good that there's some comparison with other features. Let's do that for a bit.
Chat bubbles. It's coming with Makeb! I know, I know, they haven't said so, but they never say so, so therefor it's coming with Makeb, but they just can't talk about it!
Sit features. It's coming with Makeb! Yea, they haven't said so, but they never say so, so really it's coming with Makeb.
Cathar. It's coming with Makeb! It's just not in the description, because it's going to be a surprise!
Secret Space Project. It's coming with Makeb! It's going to be fun, so they don't want to talk about it.
Class balance. It's coming with Makeb! EA told them to not talk about it, or maybe it was George Lucas, oh scrap that, it was Disney!
On the other hand there's features we know ARE coming with Makeb.

Epic story progression: it's coming.
New level cap: It's coming.
New enemy: It's coming.
New planet: it's coming.

All of the people who want these features can purchase the expansion knowing they're going to get them because they're in the feature list. While they're certainly all vague they are nonetheless listed. Bioware: Austin has been kind enough to let those waiting for a level cap, new maps, epic story and Moar Hutt know that this is the expansion for them.

But us? No. We need to make the (increasingly ill-advised) gamble that BW:A might actually be intending to include the red-headed stepchild of game features, the one they won't talk about, the one that's received more absolute blank silence than any other feature since before launch: SGRAs.

This brings to mind the movie Brazil. It's bureaucracy gone crazy. Someone's made a Decision not to talk about this and now they're going to stick to it, irrespective of whether it's right (it's not), irrespective of whether their silence is damaging their company's reputation (it is), or whether they're driving away subscribers (they are) or whether people actually want to know (they do). Someone's made the Decision and it stands, probably because nobody wants to make another Decision to overturn the earlier Decision.

We are being made to gamble on a horse that's been shown to have knee problems. Currently BW:A has given us absolutely nothing to suggest that gambling on them is ever likely to pay off, and their continued silence is proof that the gamble is getting riskier by the day.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::