Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ellianshia
12.08.2012 , 10:03 PM | #3881
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
What if there were bi companions planned already that were cut, not current companions that are bi, and the arcs got cut.

Kira Carsen: I don't know about you, but she seems clearly straight to me

Kaliyo: Doesn't she talk about ex boyfriends

Elara: Just my opinion, but she should not be a romance at all.

Just to name a few. Adding a non-companion full romance would be nice.
I don't know. Kira does strike me as at least curious in that regard.

Kaliyo is a bit too much like Jack from ME... and I was VERY surprised that Jack wasn't bi.

Not sure about Elara... been a while since I played and I guess she didn't strike me as that interesting at the time

EDIT: Although in ME3, Jack does also make some comments that show that she is decidedly bi, but probably wasn't that interested in FemShep..

Lent_San
12.08.2012 , 10:06 PM | #3882
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
. my gunslinger has a crush on corso, and if corso never developes a liking for guys they better add a super awesome way amazing sweep me off my feet male/male romance option for the smuggler or my little baby will have his heart forever broken.
I totally agree. Corso was made for this, I hope he knows that deep down inside.

Kioma
12.08.2012 , 10:08 PM | #3883
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellianshia View Post
I don't know. Kira does strike me as at least curious in that regard.
Kira strikes me as being Kira and, therefore, willing to pursue whatever it is she wants irrespective of whether people like it or not.

Kaliyo is a bit too much like Jack from ME... and I was VERY surprised that Jack wasn't bi.
From what I hear she was bi, but they never wrote any LI content for female Shepards.

Not sure about Elara... been a while since I played and I guess she didn't strike me as that interesting at the time
Unfamiliar with her.

EDIT: Although in ME3, Jack does also make some comments that show that she is decidedly bi, but probably wasn't that interested in FemShep..
Or they felt they had enough lesbian LIs.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

stormdrakelord
12.08.2012 , 10:14 PM | #3884
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
There's a difference between "written as heterosexual" and "being exclusive to opposite-gender PCs".

She doesn't seem like anything to me considering I play a female. The only way you'd know anything about her sexuality is play a dude and initiate the romance with her...beyond that, nothing about her character is defined as heterosexual. That has more to do with romance exclusivity and the lack of SGRA's though.

Yeah, but she still could like women as well.
Just because Kaliyo may like women, does not mean she is interested in the female PC. Like jack from Mass Effect 2, Bisexual, but is only attracted to a male PC.

in the end, maybe a former romance option (in future class quests) could be added and if in a romance, they could say "sorry, but your 'buddy' would not like that idea" or something when you flirt with him/her.

once again, Kira in my opinion is romantically straight, and making her bi seems more "If it's you, it's okay" than her being bi from the start, and having her bisexuality cut.

that whole "if it's you, it's okay" thing is my opinion, as is I would rather have a non-comp romance full option, not a mere flirt, someone you bump into or work with regularly but they are not on your crew.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Kioma
12.08.2012 , 10:24 PM | #3885
Honestly, if they don't make SGRAs available for pre-50s I'm going to be very annoyed. And a lot of people are going to be enormously disappointed, I think, if they don't make at least some existing companions SGRA-capable.

I don't even see it as being a rewrite of the character, not at all. It's like, say, Corellia: there's a HEAP of Corellia we've never seen, has never been mapped, isn't in the game. If they suddenly put it in it's not like that section of Corellia never existed and they've 'rewritten an entire planet'. It's just an expansion of what already exists. People seem to think that doing the same thing with characters is verboten, as if the areas are in an MMO and the characters aren't. It's all MMO content in the one game.

If they had a character that was very specifically and explicitly written as being attracted to one particular gender, and then changed that character with a silly half-baked context to be bi, that would be a totally different matter. But I don't believe (though I might be wrong) that a single companion is explicitly stated to be straight.

stormdrakelord
12.08.2012 , 10:30 PM | #3886
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Honestly, if they don't make SGRAs available for pre-50s I'm going to be very annoyed. And a lot of people are going to be enormously disappointed, I think, if they don't make at least some existing companions SGRA-capable.

I don't even see it as being a rewrite of the character, not at all. It's like, say, Corellia: there's a HEAP of Corellia we've never seen, has never been mapped, isn't in the game. If they suddenly put it in it's not like that section of Corellia never existed and they've 'rewritten an entire planet'. It's just an expansion of what already exists. People seem to think that doing the same thing with characters is verboten, as if the areas are in an MMO and the characters aren't. It's all MMO content in the one game.

If they had a character that was very specifically and explicitly written as being attracted to one particular gender, and then changed that character with a silly half-baked context to be bi, that would be a totally different matter. But I don't believe (though I might be wrong) that a single companion is explicitly stated to be straight.
it was just my perception of them (except Kaliyo) and since it is not stated one way or the other (outside of articles), my view of them is that them being available for S/S romance would make it seem more like that trope I posted a while back (If it's you, It's okay).

Kioma
12.08.2012 , 10:32 PM | #3887
it was just my perception of them (except Kaliyo) and since it is not stated one way or the other (outside of articles), my view of them is that them being available for S/S romance would make more of that trope I posted a while back (If it's you, It's okay).
I really don't see it as being that trope unless they write it in as that trope - which, really, I seriously doubt they'd do.

stormdrakelord
12.08.2012 , 10:34 PM | #3888
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I really don't see it as being that trope unless they write it in as that trope - which, really, I seriously doubt they'd do.
still I would rather see new companions or a non-comp full romance, instead of having companions, who romances feel more straight to me due to lack of any F/F or M/M indications for most, 'suddenly' turn bi with no explanation.

plus it seems like too much work to do such a thing, unless the code is in the game and just turned off.

Kioma
12.08.2012 , 10:37 PM | #3889
still I would rather see new companions or a non-comp full romance.
A non-companion full romance would be intriguing. I'm sure they'll have new companions to add that'll be SGRA-capable too (actually I feel that's probably one of the reasons it's taking so long), but like I said, a lot of people are going to dislike it if they don't SGRA up at least some of the original companions. Lots of people have come to like (and hate) those companions, which is a testament to the writers.

Palar
12.08.2012 , 10:39 PM | #3890
In my mind, the romancable companions today were originally written heterosexual, and rewriting them as "Bisexual" makes no sense, unless they explain it away as the trope "If it's you, it's okay" which makes it worse for me.
Granted, it's not Edmonton, but I get the feeling they'll play the "They're not bisexual in the same play-through"/'Hero-sexual' hand-wave like with DA2.