Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.19.2012 , 06:32 AM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
If you look at this thread alone, I would agree with this, but the people who post are an incredibly small segment of people who play the game. You said "long-promised", however, I can find nowhere that Bioware "promised" to add this content. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I see several post claiming Bioware said the content will be added, or they promised it, but do not see any press releases, posts, or any other media from Bioware on this. See my earlier post about Software development releases. In order for this content to implemented they way many posters in this thread want it, many dollars will have to be spent in rewriting code to make some happy. Once again, goes back to financial balance of implementation.
Take a look at the post I made on the first page of this thread. There's a link to a YouTube video from the guild summit BioWare held this past March. In it, the person from BioWare speaking, Daniel Erickson, specifically states that same-gender relationships are coming, and they will be added to the game this year.

Also: you talk about the people wanting SGRs as a small percentage of people who play the game. Do you have any data to back this up? I'm certain BioWare knows how many people have done the companion romance missions; considering they made the game, I've no doubt they have the systems in place to track such things. Based on that, I'm sure they can make a good guess at how many people would pursue other companion relationships, and thus see if adding more relationships would be good for the game and keep people playing. If you have no hard numbers to back up your claim, I'd like to ask that you stop making it. Thank you.

Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
I told my daughter I may buy her a pony someday. Doesn't mean I promised her that I will and doesn't mean it is actually gonna happen.
Irrelevancy, duly noted.

Ohmygah's Avatar


Ohmygah
07.19.2012 , 06:47 AM | #372
I recall David Gaider saying that only a small portion of players for Dragon Age (which had much greater options than the Mass Effect series in general) did homosexual romances. I imagine for the most part that most players don't really care about the romances in general, straight or otherwise, and it's more of a dedicated fanbase thing. Thread sizes aren't an indication of *most players* so much as those who go on the forum to talk about the story (probably a lesser amount than those who go primarily/solely to talk about gameplay related things).

If SWTOR had no romances or they were taken away, somehow you'd have some complaints on the forum, but I doubt that would affect subscriptions overly much.

Infir's Avatar


Infir
07.19.2012 , 07:19 AM | #373
For what it's worth, the pre-launch SGRA thread included a poll, the results of which indicated that more than half of its responders would be interested in playing SGRAs. There were also plenty of thread posts from people who wouldn't play SGRAs themselves but supported them being included in the game. Is it a completely accurate analysis of the audience? No. But it certainly shows that those interested in SGRAs are far from a negligible minority.

For me, the continuing lack of SGRAs is not an immediate dealbreaker, and in fact I'm letting my six-month subscription roll over this week. I'm still enjoying the stories that I can play without worrying that I'll be cutting into a future SGRA. But those worries do still exist for me, and I think eventually they're going to halt in its tracks my desire to play. I just wish we knew where/how they're going to implement SGRAs - whether they (and SG flirt options) will be integrated into current content or only appear in future content, whether playing current content will negate future SGRAs - so at least we can stop fretting about our individual characters' future prospects. It seems that the developers can't possibly not know that yet themselves.
{((o))ﮗﮉﭽﭰﭵۻﮖۼﭦﮀﮃﮆ‖}Ξ{{ )

HellbirdIV's Avatar


HellbirdIV
07.19.2012 , 08:22 AM | #374
Quote: Originally Posted by Infir View Post
I'm still enjoying the stories that I can play without worrying that I'll be cutting into a future SGRA. But those worries do still exist for me, and I think eventually they're going to halt in its tracks my desire to play. I just wish we knew where/how they're going to implement SGRAs - whether they (and SG flirt options) will be integrated into current content or only appear in future content, whether playing current content will negate future SGRAs - so at least we can stop fretting about our individual characters' future prospects. It seems that the developers can't possibly not know that yet themselves.
This. I stopped playing my Consular-Sage because I really feel like she should be interested in Nadia... Or Qyzen

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
07.19.2012 , 09:22 AM | #375
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohmygah View Post
I recall David Gaider saying that only a small portion of players for Dragon Age (which had much greater options than the Mass Effect series in general) did homosexual romances.
I don't recall him ever saying this. He might have said that a small portion of DA players do a romance period.

I believe he once stated that a greater percentage of people pursued a SGRA in DA:O than expected but didn't provide any numbers. Apparently, it was a decent sized number considering they made all the DA2 LIs open to both genders.

Anyway, here's a link if you want to see what he said for yourself

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
07.19.2012 , 09:29 AM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by RoyalTTown View Post
Still need them to procreate. No males, no babies.
Not really.
One of my brother's best friends is a lesbian and she got married last year. IIRC, this october she'll be giving birth to a baby boy. She never had sex with any men.

Welcome to the XXI century

Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
I stopped playing my Consular-Sage because I really feel like she should be interested in Nadia... Or Qyzen
Same here

I left my trooper on Nar Shadda's cantina because I feel Elara is awesome for her, but I don't want to keep playing without knowing what is going to happen. If Elara will be available for a female Trooper, and if she is, how. Only for new characters or for 50s as well ?

I have my male Marauder married to Vette and he's almost in full black hole/campaign gear so I rarely play him anymore.
My Sorcerer is all alone (no one was good enough for her ) She's the one I play the most since there's gear grind to make. But that will be finish sooner rather than later. I honestely don't know what I'm going to do afterwards....

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
07.19.2012 , 02:01 PM | #377
My Gunslinger is sitting on Tattooine until that happy day. I joke about Bowdaar, but he's waiting for Corso.

I can and do play characters who aren't interested in romance. Neither my Mercenary not my Marauder are anyone you would want interested in you in that way. My Jedi are Jedi and have more important things to do, and so on.

But I do feel like I am missing out on the fun - particularly when, for example, Bioware makes a big to-do over the companion romances, as with the polls they ran last February.

I'd like to explore that content. I could explore opposite gender content - it's there already - but I am not interested. I'd also like to [Flirt], for that matter, but the opportunity has never arisen.

If people are going to quit the game when SGRAs are implemented, seriously, my only question is "Why wait?" I won't even ask "Can I have your stuff?" Anyone that narrow is no one I'll miss from my game community.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
07.19.2012 , 06:06 PM | #378
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
This. I stopped playing my Consular-Sage because I really feel like she should be interested in Nadia... Or Qyzen
Yeah, I've had to stop playing my Inquisitor because she's about to hit Taris, and Ashara's waiting there. The name of the mission is even "The Apprentice", so I know what's going to happen. My SI is one creepy little twi'lek to begin with, I can only imagine what she'll be like after a few months of sitting on the ship, not able to kill anyone to relax.

testszag's Avatar


testszag
07.19.2012 , 08:09 PM | #379
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
Take a look at the post I made on the first page of this thread. There's a link to a YouTube video from the guild summit BioWare held this past March. In it, the person from BioWare speaking, Daniel Erickson, specifically states that same-gender relationships are coming, and they will be added to the game this year.

Also: you talk about the people wanting SGRs as a small percentage of people who play the game. Do you have any data to back this up? I'm certain BioWare knows how many people have done the companion romance missions; considering they made the game, I've no doubt they have the systems in place to track such things. Based on that, I'm sure they can make a good guess at how many people would pursue other companion relationships, and thus see if adding more relationships would be good for the game and keep people playing. If you have no hard numbers to back up your claim, I'd like to ask that you stop making it. Thank you.

Irrelevancy, duly noted.
here ya go.

Quote: Originally Posted by Qishari View Post
Hello all,

We would just like to throw in a reminder to please stay on topic. This isn't a thread to discuss whether or not it should or should not be implemented as we have already stated it will be (you can find the statement at the beginning of the thread).

Also, discussion of real world social issues, morality, or politics regarding homosexuality is not appropriate for the forums.

If you have any questions, please send us an email: communitysupport@swtor.com
no f2p 4 me

testszag's Avatar


testszag
07.19.2012 , 09:05 PM | #380
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Not really.
One of my brother's best friends is a lesbian and she got married last year. IIRC, this october she'll be giving birth to a baby boy. She never had sex with any men.....
still, no males, no baby. gotta get those swimmers from somewhere
no f2p 4 me